• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Irene Goodman Literary Agency

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
I once got a response from a publisher after 23 months, but i had moved in the time between my first submission and their response, so they may have lost my address.

Pat

I once got a rejection 2 and 1/2 years after submission--the book had already been pubbed elsewhere by then. (I hadn't moved)

Repunzel

Registered
Reaction score
I equeried Irene in mid-June, pasting in the requested 10 pages and synopsis and received a request for a full last week. For a busy agent, I consider that the height of professionalism. I'd definitely put them at the top of my list for future projects as should those of you with projects fitting their needs.

Repunzel

Registered
Reaction score
Heard in the negative from Barbara Poelle, but with helpful comments and within a reasonable amount of time.

I would definitely submit to this agency again. They are totally professional and respectful of the writer.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
I e-queried Barbara Poelle on 8/24 and got a request for the first three chapters on 10/24. I had signed in the interim, but that should give you an idea of her time-line.

Viking

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.levraphael.com
I have dealt with many agents and never dealt with an agency this disorganized. They lost a proposal, as I found out after calling when 3 mos. had passed. I sent the 2nd one to Barbara Poelle because she was convinced if it went to her it would not get lost. That one got lost, too! She then asked for the proposal by email and I sent that and she quickly asked for the full ms., but said it would take time since Irene was going on vacation> I said I'd wait till after Labor Day because I feared it would disappear like the two proposals had. Get this: I sent the ms. and before it got there they had a meeting and decided my project wasn't for them, so I wasted all that time and money (the proposals were bound and illustrated, printed on good stock, etc., and sent Priority). I should never have bothered sending the book, I suppose, because any agency that can lose two proposals in a row should not inspire confidence.

Last edited:

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Go with what's said on the agent's website. It's probably more up to date than what's written elsewhere.

I emailed Irene Goodman in August and got the rejection two days ago with the same wording as yours, Edita.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
(Re: Weiser & Elwell. Jake Elwell is now with Harold Ober & Assocs. There's no sign Ms. Weiser is still agenting.)

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
Stupid question

Okay, so I know this is a stupid question, but here goes...

Back in August, I queried Irene Goodman via email. When I didn't hear from her by December, I chalked it up as a rejection and queried Miriam Kriss instead. January comes, and Miriam Kriss responds to the August query requesting the full, which I happily send to her.

Now, here's the problem. I just received a rejection from the second query I sent. BUT WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? Is that a rejection to the full, or is it just someone cleaning out the system?

I know I could avoid a lot of angst simply by sending an email to the agent, but I don't want to come across as even more stupid by asking for clarity on a query letter. So I thought I'd get some input from you guys first.

Thoughts, anyone?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I know I could avoid a lot of angst simply by sending an email to the agent, but I don't want to come across as even more stupid by asking for clarity on a query letter.

Status-query Kriss about her progress with your full. Either she'll say "Didn't you get the rejection I sent you?" or not. In either case, you don't look like an idiot--it seems pretty clear the folks at IGA are used to mail going astray :rolleyes:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Miriam Kriss was one of the agents who had my full when I accepted my agent's offer. I emailed her to let her know, and actually got a really nice "Congratulations, and please think of me if you're ever searching for representation again in the future", which actually made me cry a little it was so nice.

ETA: It still makes me feel all funny inside when I type "my agent"!

mbagrad

Registered
Reaction score
I recently sent a manuscript to the Irene Goodman Literary Agency. I looked them up and am convinced that they are a reputable agency but I was wondering if any one out here has had any personal experiences with them that they could share.

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of queries Miriam. Does anyone have personal experience with her recently?

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Fionn - I pitched her last Thursday at a conference. She's terrific. Very nice and personable.

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
:) Thanks, Jen! I've just sent MK a query...*fingers and toes crossed*

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what genre were you pitching?

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Miriam back in March and never received a response.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Fionn - YA paranormal. She requested the full so I'm assuming that's the type of thing she's looking for right now.

Good luck!

Beware_of_Italics

Different from the rest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stuffandnonsense-auntkristin.blogspot.com
I received a rejection from Irene on May 6th and am wondering of it's okay to query another agent there now. The website doesn't say not to query other agents if rejected by another, but still.... I wouldn't worry about it so much if they had individual email addresses for queries. That's really what's stopping me right now.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
I don't know, but I was under the impression one person there looked at the queries and then passed them on to the agents it was addressed to if they thought it was appropriate. I could be wrong though.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
I received a rejection from Irene on May 6th and am wondering of it's okay to query another agent there now. The website doesn't say not to query other agents if rejected by another, but still.... I wouldn't worry about it so much if they had individual email addresses for queries. That's really what's stopping me right now.

Personally, if it were a small agency that shared a common email address for queries, I wouldn't query twice because it's most likely that if whoever read the query thought it was appropriate for one of the other agents they would have passed it on. Now, in larger agencies or ones where they have their own email addresses and do NOT specify otherwise, I would have no problem querying other agents in the agency. But this is just my own personal opinion. Good luck either way!

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
Fast turnaround from IGA

I e-mailed IGA with my NF query on Wed Aug 6, heard back from "Claire" on Sat Aug 9 (works on Saturday?) asking for 3 chapters by e-mail.

So, no postage needed and I NEVER include my chapter text in an e-mail -- try sending it to yourself, it always looks awful.

I send the query--even if they ask for a query and sample chapters--and tell them I can send the chaps as an attachment.

When they respond, I ask if they prefer a word.doc or PDF, and most prefer word.doc.

And I had to chuckle at the LONG overdue rejection letters (years???) and those who appreciate "nice" rejection letters. I think I have always received nice or kind rejection letters--it's the professional thing to do so I don't think it's anything to be excited about. (A NO is still a NO.)

I find e-mail rejections tend to be a little shorter and to the point!