Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314 LastLast
Results 301 to 325 of 331

Thread: Irene Goodman Literary Agency

  1. #301
    practical experience, FTW MysteryScribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by lweinberg18 View Post
    I just queried Miriam Kriss for a fantasy novel...might not be up her alley, but I thought I'd try anyways.

    Now your journey begins!
    I'm sending lots of good querying vibes your way!
    "Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carroll

    Represented by Barbara Poelle of the Irene Goodman Literary Agency.

    Let's be interwebz friends:

    Blog
    Twitter
    tumblr

  2. #302
    practical experience, FTW MysteryScribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    143
    Hey guys just wanted to give you the heads up (if you didn't already see this) Barbara is doing another Writers Digest Webinar on 4/12! http://www.writersdigestshop.com/pro...rnage-webinar/
    "Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carroll

    Represented by Barbara Poelle of the Irene Goodman Literary Agency.

    Let's be interwebz friends:

    Blog
    Twitter
    tumblr

  3. #303
    practical experience, FTW pavtbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    182
    Sent an email query to Barbara Poelle this morning. Got an automated response, so I know that it went through. Will post back when I hear something more.
    Bryan

  4. #304
    . c.e.lawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A beach town near Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,645

    Question about Ancient World HF

    I know Irene Goodman lists historical fiction on her website. But I vaguely recall reading, some months ago when I was not yet ready to query, that she didn't want stories set in the ancient world. I've looked around again now that I'm going to start querying, and I can't seem to find where I read that. Does anyone have any information on that?

    Thanks,

    c.e.

  5. #305
    practical experience, FTW FruitTree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    182
    The guidelines for this contest from last year http://agentqueryconnect.com/index.p...rical-fiction/ say:

    "Irene will consider anything European, but especially England, Scotland, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Ireland. Some American settings will be considered, but the market is not currently favoring those, so selectivity is essential. A few Asian subjects might work, but again, selectivity will be crucial. Irene is not looking for books set in ancient Egypt, Greece, or Rome. Historical means anything from the dawn of time to World War One."

  6. #306
    . c.e.lawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A beach town near Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,645
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitTree View Post
    The guidelines for this contest from last year http://agentqueryconnect.com/index.p...rical-fiction/ say:

    "Irene will consider anything European, but especially England, Scotland, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Ireland. Some American settings will be considered, but the market is not currently favoring those, so selectivity is essential. A few Asian subjects might work, but again, selectivity will be crucial. Irene is not looking for books set in ancient Egypt, Greece, or Rome. Historical means anything from the dawn of time to World War One."
    Thanks, FruitTree. That must be what I read months ago. I will assume she still doesn't want ancient Sparta. (Although I'm very curious as to why not. ) I appreciate your help!

  7. #307
    FYI, Barbara Poelle is closed to submissions until Sept 2012 (but you Query Tracker people already knew that!)

  8. #308
    Flower Girl IrisFlower81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    137
    I queried Miriam Kriss on July 13th and the auto responder says that if she's interested she'll respond in 12 weeks or so. Has anyone gotten a rejection from her recently on just the query and sample pages, or is the 'only if we're interested' reply basically the truth?
    My blog: http://ellenmrozek.wordpress.com

    My Projects:

    The Recruited--YA thriller (querying--yikes!)
    Positively Anonymous--NA contemporary (querying)
    Facing the Music--YA contemporary (re-writing)

  9. #309
    practical experience, FTW MrsBrommers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missour-ee, not Missour-uh
    Posts
    275
    Good luck, Iris! Miriam's my agent, and I don't believe she sends rejections on queries with sample pages. However, don't close out the query until you've hit that twelve weeks. I cold queried her, and she requested my full MS after two months. I was honestly looking at her name on my query list and considering marking it as a non-responses the same day she emailed me that she wanted to read the full. It can definitely take some time as she is a very busy agent.

    Also, I have a really good working relationship with Miriam. She is top-notch, knows her business, and is an incredible advocate for her authors.
    A MURDER OF MAGPIES (YA Gothic; coming September 2014 from Month9Books)
    YA Gothic Murder Mystery/Horror: 30/70K
    YA Gothic Horror (rewrite hell per editorial feedback)
    Magical realism (off with awesome agent)

    http://www.sarah-bromley.com
    http://www.twitter.com/Sarah_Bromley
    http://www.facebook.com/authorsarahbromley

  10. #310
    Flower Girl IrisFlower81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    137
    Thanks very much for the info! That's exactly what I wanted to know. I know Miriam Kriss reps a couple authors I'm familiar with, and they--like you--speak highly of her.
    My blog: http://ellenmrozek.wordpress.com

    My Projects:

    The Recruited--YA thriller (querying--yikes!)
    Positively Anonymous--NA contemporary (querying)
    Facing the Music--YA contemporary (re-writing)

  11. #311
    practical experience, FTW FCameron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    177

    Not getting auto-reply from Goodman Agency

    Quote Originally Posted by pavtbr View Post
    Sent an email query to Barbara Poelle this morning. Got an automated response, so I know that it went through. Will post back when I hear something more.
    Bryan

    I've not gotten an auto-reply to my email back in early October, so I sent again tonight. Still no auto. Hmm...I don't want to spam them!

  12. #312
    Agent, author, human.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by FCameron View Post
    I've not gotten an auto-reply to my email back in early October, so I sent again tonight. Still no auto. Hmm...I don't want to spam them!
    My cousin is repped by this agency, so I queried them for Book #1...no auto-response and no response. Come Book #2...no auto-response and no response. After six months and major rewrites on Book #2, queried Miriam the other day...auto-response. SO, if you didn't get the auto-response, try sending from a different email?

    Good luck!
    *opinions are my own*

    Find more about me at:

    My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

  13. #313
    practical experience, FTW FCameron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by lweinberg18 View Post
    My cousin is repped by this agency, so I queried them for Book #1...no auto-response and no response. Come Book #2...no auto-response and no response. After six months and major rewrites on Book #2, queried Miriam the other day...auto-response. SO, if you didn't get the auto-response, try sending from a different email?

    Good luck!
    The email that I use for queries is different from my other email...but, that other email is the name of my blog and would likely fall right into a spam folder since it's not my name.

    Trying to keep agent contacts separate and organized, but I'll create a new account if necessary. I have a full out with another agent right now. I'll just cool the send button for a week and send again with a new email.

    Thanks

  14. #314
    Agent, author, human.
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by FCameron View Post
    The email that I use for queries is different from my other email...but, that other email is the name of my blog and would likely fall right into a spam folder since it's not my name.

    Trying to keep agent contacts separate and organized, but I'll create a new account if necessary. I have a full out with another agent right now. I'll just cool the send button for a week and send again with a new email.

    Thanks
    Yay! I hope it all works out for you!
    *opinions are my own*

    Find more about me at:

    My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

  15. #315
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by FCameron View Post
    I've not gotten an auto-reply to my email back in early October, so I sent again tonight. Still no auto. Hmm...I don't want to spam them!
    I see the auto response not being received is not just me. I subbed in Nov and didn't receive an auto, but have subbed this month and did receive one. Can only assume previous submission wasn't received and have resent.

  16. #316
    Riding a unicorn headed for cloud 9 rnpudel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    173
    I pitched to Rachel Ekstrom at a conference Oct. 2012. She said my YA story sounded more paranormal than fantasy, and paranormal is a hard sale right now. I pitched it as fantasy because another agent who I had pitched to before Rachel, suggested it was more fantasy. Ha!

    Rachel asked me to send her the first ten pages and a synopsis so she can determine if it feels more paranormal or fantasy and she'd get back to me.

    I sent it Oct. 30th. I didn't hear back, so I sent it again Nov. 12, just in case she had lost her internet due to Sandy. I have heard nothing back. Today I sat down to nudge her and realized I had sent it to the wrong address. I think. So I sent it to the address on their website and am waiting for the auto-response.

    At the conference she seems very courteous and eager to find great talent. Not sure what my next step should be.
    Last edited by rnpudel; 02-21-2013 at 01:18 AM.

  17. #317
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by rnpudel View Post
    I pitched to Rachel Ekstrom at a conference Oct. 2012. She said my YA story sounded more paranormal than fantasy, and paranormal is a hard sale right now. I pitched it as fantasy because another agent who I had pitched to before Rachel, suggested it was more fantasy. Ha!

    Rachel asked me to send her the first ten pages and a synopsis so she can determine if it feels more paranormal or fantasy and she'd get back to me.

    I sent it Oct. 30th. I didn't hear back, so I sent it again Nov. 12, just in case she had lost her internet due to Sandy. I have heard nothing back. Today I sat down to nudge her and realized I had sent it to the wrong address. I think. So I sent it to the address on their website and am waiting for the auto-response.

    At the conference she seems very courteous and eager to find great talent. Not sure what my next step should be.
    I am still waiting for a response (if any) from Miriam Kriss, but I had to resent after not receiving the auto-response the first time round. In the response it says she will respond within 12 weeks if interested. I would definitely send it again if you didn't receive the auto-response.

  18. #318
    Riding a unicorn headed for cloud 9 rnpudel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea View Post
    I am still waiting for a response (if any) from Miriam Kriss, but I had to resent after not receiving the auto-response the first time round. In the response it says she will respond within 12 weeks if interested. I would definitely send it again if you didn't receive the auto-response.
    Thanks for the advice.

    I received an auto-response that last time I sent it. Said she'd respond in 8 weeks if interested. I'm assuming that's for queries, so not sure how long to wait, but it'll be more than 8 weeks.

  19. #319
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by rnpudel View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

    I received an auto-response that last time I sent it. Said she'd respond in 8 weeks if interested. I'm assuming that's for queries, so not sure how long to wait, but it'll be more than 8 weeks.
    I would wait twelve weeks, if no response then it's a no. It sucks, but there it is.

  20. #320
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinea View Post
    I would wait twelve weeks, if no response then it's a no. It sucks, but there it is.
    Does that go for a full MS under consideration? It's my first time querying an agent. They asked to see the full and I sent it in 3/8. Just wondering if they send rejection letters for fulls or after a certain amount of waiting you just consider it rejected.
    Chaoscat
    writing YA Paranormal/Horror

    Awakening - 87,000 done/subbing
    Book 2: Possession - WIP

  21. #321
    Riding a unicorn headed for cloud 9 rnpudel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    173
    Congrats on the full request!

  22. #322
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoscat View Post
    Does that go for a full MS under consideration? It's my first time querying an agent. They asked to see the full and I sent it in 3/8. Just wondering if they send rejection letters for fulls or after a certain amount of waiting you just consider it rejected.
    Normally agents will send a rejection letter, but as you only sent your full a couple of weeks ago I would wait at least two months before giving them a nudge. According to the Irene Goodman agency their waiting time can be anything from 8-12 weeks on a query so you still have a way to go yet. However, if you haven't heard anything by then, even with a nudge then you may have to write them off, but some agents want 6 months before they respond on a full, although they will usually tell you this when they request.

  23. #323
    Guinea - Good to know and thanks for the info.

    And Dog-Hugger thanks! I know the odds are slim, but you never know. ;-)
    Chaoscat
    writing YA Paranormal/Horror

    Awakening - 87,000 done/subbing
    Book 2: Possession - WIP

  24. #324
    practical experience, FTW MrsBrommers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missour-ee, not Missour-uh
    Posts
    275
    Yay, Chaoscat! The length of time you'll wait to hear varies between agents and depends on the requesting agent's current reading queue, what client manuscripts are waiting to be read, which have to be prioritized. I can only speak to my experiences with Miriam, but she's pretty good about taking only a few weeks to get back to me after I turn in a project. I do believe she tries to respond to requested material. If for some reason you don't hear anything, wait about six months to nudge. Good luck!
    A MURDER OF MAGPIES (YA Gothic; coming September 2014 from Month9Books)
    YA Gothic Murder Mystery/Horror: 30/70K
    YA Gothic Horror (rewrite hell per editorial feedback)
    Magical realism (off with awesome agent)

    http://www.sarah-bromley.com
    http://www.twitter.com/Sarah_Bromley
    http://www.facebook.com/authorsarahbromley

  25. #325
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBrommers View Post
    Yay, Chaoscat! The length of time you'll wait to hear varies between agents and depends on the requesting agent's current reading queue, what client manuscripts are waiting to be read, which have to be prioritized. I can only speak to my experiences with Miriam, but she's pretty good about taking only a few weeks to get back to me after I turn in a project. I do believe she tries to respond to requested material. If for some reason you don't hear anything, wait about six months to nudge. Good luck!
    MrsBrommers -Congrats on snagging Miriam as your agent and on your sale! Love the title A MURDER OF MAGPIES. ;-)
    Rachel Ekstrom is the one who asked to see the full. Anyone send stuff into her before? Just curious if anyone has had experience with her and what kind of time frame she has for getting back to people.
    Chaoscat
    writing YA Paranormal/Horror

    Awakening - 87,000 done/subbing
    Book 2: Possession - WIP

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search