• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Irene Goodman Literary Agency

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Sent query, 10-page sample, and synopsis today addressed to a specific agent and received no auto-reply. Hoping the spam filter didn't salt and pepper my query.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I'm wondering about the auto-response too... I submitted a large partial in July and DID get an auto-response. Georgia Johnson replied asking to see a full ms, and this week, I sent it in. No auto-response and I'm quietly freaking out.

I'd suggest assuming it went through. After about 2 months (from the time you sent it) send a polite nudge email to make sure she received it. They say you should nudge around 3 months but in this case a little earlier wouldn't hurt. Mention that you were worried about the lack of auto-response and report back here if you get an answer to save some of the others stress about it.

applejack

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Still haven't heard anything, but I'll try the two-month nudge. (And falconesse, I was actually still corresponding with Ms. Johnson via the generic "queries" address -- every time she responded, it was from that address.)

I will update if/when I hear anything...

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
I queried a year ago-no auto reply, no response. I revised the MS at the request of an agent who requested the full and ultimately rejected, so let's see if I get any better luck this time.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just stepping in, because my cousin is actually rep'd by this agency and has done very well. She is thrilled with it, and I see her promoted quite well. TBH every bookstore I enter her books are present OR even in the front. I hear the ladies at IG are terrific, and as for no-responses, from querying like a maniac I see it's just the nature of the business. We number in infinity and an agencies have a finite number of people and time.

Keep on trucking though, I just landed an agent, and thought I never would!

applejack

Registered
Reaction score
Update to my 8/28 post: No dice -- rejected after they'd had the requested full ms for about four weeks, with no reason except that they liked the book but it wasn't a good fit for them right now. Ah well, back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

MysteryScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kerrimaniscalco.com
Forgot to update my stats here:
8/25/11 Full Request from Barbara Poelle. She's been AWESOME so far, I sent her a revision a few weeks ago and she's been nothing but super warm and friendly.

Also, I never received an auto-response from my query, and my request came about 20 days later.

Last edited:

Lilybiz

glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
petreaburchard.com
I sent a query (strictly per their guidelines) on 11/30 and I haven't gotten the auto response. It's comforting to read this thread because from some of the other entries it looks like that auto-responder doesn't always work!

a. climacus

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I queried them last week and did not get an auto response, either.

msfowle

Mom, Wife & Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
msfowle.wordpress.com
So I just queried Ms. Kriss (well, whoever gets it actually, but she'd be the best fit so I addressed it to her), and I was starting to grumble at my lousy internet service because I didn't get an auto-response...when I came here (ole faithful). Reading about all your frustrations about not getting one have eased mine. Thank you. ;)
And good luck!

Lilybiz

glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
petreaburchard.com
I think I've read this entire thread, msfowle. I don't think their auto-responder has ever worked! I hope not, it's why my fingers are still crossed.

Lilybiz

glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
petreaburchard.com
Congratulations, MysteryScribe. And thanks for the post, I can't wait to check it out. Very generous of you to share.

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Mystery!!! Miriam's my agent, and I can say that I've been really happy with my representation by the agency so far. In my experience, they are the kind of agency that wants an author for a career and not just a project.

As for the question of the auto-responder not working, I don't recall getting an auto-response when I queried them. My query plus sample pages and synopsis earned a full request two months after it was sent. I was offered rep eleven days later.

MysteryScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kerrimaniscalco.com
Thank you MrsBrommers!!! I'm thrilled to be part of the agency :)

And ditto on the auto-responder not working. When I originally queried I didn't get one.

MysteryScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kerrimaniscalco.com
Thank you so much! I wouldn't have made it through the querying ups and downs without the support of the AW community. You guys are the best :)

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! That's awesome :snoopy:- I'll definitely say hi :) And thank you for the congrats!!!

:) I just queried Miriam Kriss for a fantasy novel...might not be up her alley, but I thought I'd try anyways.

Now your journey begins! :)