Word count for non-fiction memoir

Status
Not open for further replies.

smf222

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there gang. Just wondering if anybody has an idea of what the typical/approximate word count is for a memoir.

I'm not writing about my entire life, just one particularly f'd up year. Right now, its at 26,150 words. Is that even close to being enough?

Thanks.

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
I have never heard of a "typical word count" for a memoir, only with children's nonfiction books. How many pages is your manuscript? I have to apologize I should be able to estimate with your word count, but apparently I have not had enough caffeine today!

smf222

Registered
Reaction score
Let's see, right now it's about 100 pages - but that is double spaced, 8 1/2 x 11 paper with 1 inch margins all around, times new roman 12 point.

I hear ya' on the caffeine, I still haven't reached my a.m. quota. Thanks for your reply.

Kristen King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkthinker.blogspot.com
Smf, 25,000 is pretty darn short. For comparison, the soon-to-be-commercially-published memoir I just finished editing was about 70,000.. You'd probably want to get it up to more like 50,000 or 60,000.

Kristen

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
smf222 said:
Hey there gang. Just wondering if anybody has an idea of what the typical/approximate word count is for a memoir.

I'm not writing about my entire life, just one particularly f'd up year. Right now, its at 26,150 words. Is that even close to being enough?

Thanks.

Close to being enough for what? Publication? I wouldn't worry about how long it is if it's a really, really terrific story and will make editors want to read on. The problem is that most people write memoirs that only they want to read.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Just to give you an idea, my memoir which only covered a 4 month span of my life comes in at 67,000 words. Again though, as Nomad said, if it is something that editors will want to continue to read, that is the important thing.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
smf222 said:
I'm not writing about my entire life, just one particularly f'd up year.

Fyi, that's the definition of a memoir. If you were writing about your entire life, that would be an autibiography.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
word count

The only real answer to this is to look at publisher's guidelines. But it's awfully tough to find a home for any adult book under 60,000 words, or much over 120,000 words.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Of course, some can be very short. For example, I have publishers clamouring for my memoirs right now, offering seven-figure advances. My manuscript is quit short now. In fact, it's one chapter long. Here is chapter one:

"I am awesome."

Succinct, pithy, and utterly, devastatingly honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.