Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
OK. I think I'm at the point where I want to start at least researching, and starting a rough draft, for my query letter for my novel.

Are there any decent websites or books out there that can teach me how to write a query letter? I've never written one before (short stories don't require them so much) and haven't the foggiest idea of what it's supposed to contain or do.

If there's hundreds of threads on this already, sorry, just point me to those threads and I'll be on my way. (For instance, I'm sure the Uncle Jim thread has something, but what page?)

Thanks.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Hey you. I know you'll disagree, so let's just get that out of the way right now.

But I do have some experience with this. If you research queries on the web, you are going to get so much contradictory information, it'll make your head explode. There is a good series of threads about this on the FAQ board.

The hardest part is getting a short (I mean really short - like a few sentences short) synopsis of your plot that feels complete and builds curiosity at the same time. At first, I'd focus on that. The rest is just a business letter - very easy. And, of course, each agent or editor has their own requirements for what they want in a query.

Go ahead - let me have it. I know you don't believe me.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
It also wouldn't hurt to read a handful of the query letters others have posted for critique. See what others have done, and how they've done it better after a little spit and polish.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't written a query letter in a couple of eons, but I've helped critique a few here--and boy, the regulars there are terrific! Cobble something together, then post it, and they'll help you find every flaw and shore up every weakness. They're even perfectly willing to go over your query multiple times as you rewrite it.

Maryn, who was most impressed

Thomma Lyn

Cat Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thommalyngrindstaff.com
Maryn said:
I haven't written a query letter in a couple of eons, but I've helped critique a few here--and boy, the regulars there are terrific! Cobble something together, then post it, and they'll help you find every flaw and shore up every weakness. They're even perfectly willing to go over your query multiple times as you rewrite it.

Maryn, who was most impressed

Definitely! I had my query letter and synopsis critiqued, and the folks here are marvelous - helpful, honest, encouraging. I highly recommend doing that - your query will be better for it.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Perks said:
Hey you. I know you'll disagree, so let's just get that out of the way right now.

I disagree that we're going to disagree. :tongue

I'd never disagree with someone who has more knowledge on a subject than I do.

Thanks for the help guys. Lots of excellent advice here. I'll have to check out the share your work section more closely.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I disagree about Lisa Collier Cool's book--great for what it is, perhaps, but it's not about fiction and isn't particularly helpful if it's a fiction query you're struggling with.

Maryn, who's lost track of who writes what

Status
Not open for further replies.