Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Ten Speed Press / The Crown Publishing Group

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar

Ten Speed Press / The Crown Publishing Group

I would be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts or experiences with Ten Speed Press. They are focussed on spiritual writing.
    Emily Veinglory

Residing somewhere between my ears in Pennsylvania
    Hi, submitted some children's work a long time ago. It took a very very long time to receive even a reject. Just my past experience...I haven't submitted to them lately. Good luck!
    Dana

I looked up some of their other titles and some I already know -- one I even own. They look very legit and classy. I wasn't fully aware that they were the press issuing a book in which two of my poems appear. I will now commence calling myself (smugly) a 'published' poet
    Emily Veinglory

practical experience, FTW
    "What Color Is Your Parachute" is, IIRC, their claim to fame. Self-published since the original.

They are also 'Why Cats Paint' I think. Which is a cute book
    Emily Veinglory

Also Mollie Katzen's hugely successful Moosewood Cookbook.

I have a friend who pitched a garden book with extensive photographs to them. There was a lot of enthusiastic interest in the project at first, and several meetings were held, but ultimately nothing ever came of it. However, it's not clear to me if it was Tenspeed who lacked the organization to get it off the ground or if my friend was reading more into the discussions than was actually there.

A lot of their work seems to be very highly illustrated and althogether pretty

I like that in non-fcition--it's the short attention span, perhaps....
    Emily Veinglory

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Jus' adding a link: http://www.tenspeed.com/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Erm... yeah.

:::shakes head, baffled:::

Back to our regular programming now... I've sent a couple of submissions to Ten Speed/Tricycle. They've rejected me, but seem pretty professional and their response times aren't bad.

practical experience, FTW Joanna_S's Avatar
    I have several illustrated spiritual books published originally in the UK. One of my publishers sells to Tenspeed. When I first brought one of my projects to the UK publisher I told them that the proposal was also going to Tenspeed (I had an in. A friend knew the owner of Tenspeed and was going to forward the proposal directly to him). The UK publisher panicked, not wanting one of their contacts to have it, so I pulled the proposal going to Tenspeed.

They are definitely legit, as my UK publisher doesn't work with US publishers that aren't able to make substantial orders. And I know from my friend that they have a great rep as well.

-- Joanna

They're legit and respected. They published "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" by Peter Reinhart, which won two major cookbook awards. They also published Charlie Trotter's cookbooks.

And of course, they rejected one of my proposals.

The Crown Publishing Group

Has anyone here worked with them?
    Their website is: http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/
    Last edited by KikiteNeko; 01-02-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: