Progress report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
Liam Jackson said:
Hiyas Kevin! Yep, you've tackled one hellaciously ambitious (in scope) project. Maybe we can come back to this one, and discuss precisely where you are in the story. It's a strong premise, I think, and I'm anxious to see where you're going with it. LJ

Liam, I just wanted to thank you for your words and offer for help since my wife died, they mean a lot to me. I have your number.

As for my story, the hellaciously ambitious one, I have not written on it for a while, not with everything that is going on now. Where I am at in the story is I'm jumping around the world, devestated from the loss of the moon, and having dead Demons being unburied. Their burial sites were hidden from humans by a device on the moon. The Angels realized that when they and the demons decayed their bodies let off huge amounts of radiation that was killing mankind so they built a device that sheilded the bodies. With the loss of the moon the sheild is failing and the radiation and energy that had been building up explodes, killing everything in its path. A traitor angel finds these bodies and resurrects them, building an army to kill mankind until his bretheren return from the far reaches of space.

I have my MC starting his quest for the relics that will save mankind but he will soon be dogged by the resurected demons. Through his dreams he gets help from Angels, they tell him about the past and warn him of the future. He finds out that he is the only thing standing in the way of mankinds extinction. Not an easy thing for a man who just found out his God is dead and also learned that his God was never a God at all. He is a man in conflict with his faith and life. How does he go on? Can he really save us? Does he stick to his belief in his God or face the truth that there never was one?

Soon Christ and his son will step into the light as they try to take over the world and kill every human in their way.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kevin, you're very welcome. Call anytime the mood strikes.

Sorry about dropping the ball on Progress Report. For those that saddled up and posted anyway, *salute* And JD, thanks for dropping in! I hope you hang out a while.

Okay, horror hounds, the last update was on the 12th. Anything new to report?

I'll start it off.

I wish I could say I had some "new" stuff in the works, but for me it's more of the same; Offspring. Ther second installment is ready for the editor, but I anticpate at least one change to a side plot. The change will probably require a moderate amount of rewriting. Maybe I should have taken a proactive position and changed the piece before sending it, but I need a sanity check before I start hacking away at a completed story.

Speaking of story, writing the third and final installment will be bittersweet. Like saying goodbye to beloved family members who've been eating you out of hearth and home. You love 'em to death, but there comes a time that you really want to see them pull out of the driveway. I never dreamed the process of a triology would be so demanding on both time and attention.

Just a reminder...be careful what you ask for. You just might get it. ;)

NEXT...

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...still at 27000 words. And stuck, waiting for the characters to tell me what the hell they want to do. I may go back to outlining.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jbal, maybe it's time to pull the old "wicked witch" routine and drop a house on one of your characters. How long have you been stuck, now?

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Just a few days, and it's only because I haven't had time to work on it. However I am at a point where I have no idea what's coming next. Even without an outline I usually know at least what the next few thousand words will hold. I got in a few hundred last night but I got interrupted. (cursed real life always getting in the way of my fantasy world grumble grumble).
Anyway, I'm just seeing what the characters will want to do as they're in a bit of a pickle. It will go somewhere, no worries.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I've been slowly bringing the old stories out of mothballs. I completed what I hope will be the final edit on one today. I'll look at it again with fresh eyes tomorrow just to be sure. If it is finished, I guess I won't have any choice but to begin the rejection process. :D I really should start on something new too. I'll have to program myself to dream up a 'what-if' tonight.

Looking forward to your book, Liam.

Marlowe

Duck of Death
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmovieplanet.com
I just passed the 80,000 mark, and I should be finished the current draft by the end of next week, if not sooner. Sort of scared what it will be like to finish, but then, I always am.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Haggis. I'm determined to make sure the writing is on par with the storyline on the next go-round.

Marlowe, congrats on nearing The End. That's when the real journey begins. :) I suspect you'll experience a mix of emotions including pride, relief, and a touch of melancholy. Is this the final draft before you begin submitting?

Last edited:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I recently passed the 65,000 word mark, after writing about 50k of it this summer. I hope to finish it by the end of this school year (giving myself more time to finish it due to studying and homework). It was a very productive summer, and it got me back to writing regularly.

And Liam: Only 14 days left? Already? I'll have to buy it and read it when it comes out.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alan, that's fantastic. You'll reach the coveted "The End" before you know it. How do you plan to find writing time with all the time contraints imposed by school and social obligations? Have you got a game plan yet?

And yeah, only two weeks to go. Seems like just yesterday I was thinking, "Only ten months to go." Thanks for your support, Alan. I sincerely hope you enjoy the story.

Last edited:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My game plan at the moment is to write a few hundred words when I get home (around 2:30), do homework, then perhaps write some more. If I don't have much homework one day, I usually finish it quickly and write until dinnertime. I depend on weekends for longer writing sessions. The book's going much slower than it was before, but it's still making progress.

Marlowe

Duck of Death
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmovieplanet.com
Liam Jackson said:
Marlowe, congrats on nearing The End. That's when the real journey begins. :) I suspect you'll experience a mix of emotions including pride, relief, and a touch of melancholy. Is this the final draft before you begin submitting?

Thank you- it's actually sort of a first draft, but since I've been posting it online for friends, I've been editing/polishing as I go. I plan on giving myself a week off, maybe working on something new, and then giving it a final edit. (Right now, I have a partial with an agent, so I'll probably wait till I hear from him before I send it out to others.)

John61480

The Elements of Style
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still undecided about doing this, but I almost have the first chapter of the book – featuring an exorcism – ready for critique consumption. Like I said, I'm undecided, but I may post it over in the local SYW area here on AW.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Looks like everyone is up to their armpits in WIP's. I've roughed out my zombie piece then bounced back to a post-modern gene-genired dark fantasy (cyberpunk sans cyber) I started earlier this year then started throwing together another piece and had to stop myself for fear of never completing a single project. Time to renew my Ritalin prescription.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Mine is in near-second-draft form. I've reworked the entire opening to fit the genre. I wrote the original organically, and then I had a choice to make: market as horror or supernatural romance. So it was either change the beginning or the end. I chose the beginning. Sorry, but I really liked the way the guy died. Lucky for me, the middle works!

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Siddow said Mine is in near-second-draft form. I've reworked the entire opening to fit the genre. I wrote the original organically, and then I had a choice to make: market as horror or supernatural romance. So it was either change the beginning or the end. I chose the beginning. Sorry, but I really liked the way the guy died. Lucky for me, the middle works!

Ah, don't you love it when a plan comes together? I had a similar experience with my second novel and took the same route. It was a lot easier to manipulate the beginning. The one hiccup is that a couple of side plot archs had to be revised. (all minor stuff, thankfully)

John61480- Just keep in mind that many people who give critiques focus on the bullets holes and gaping wounds in a piece. They usually don't get around to telling you what's right with the work, and I think that's equally important. Most people aren't intentionally looking to beat you up, so take the criticism as intended, and with a grain of salt. :)

I'm lousy at critiquing small pieces like chapters. Too often a piece works for me or it doesn't, and I really can't say why. All I know is that it keeps me turning the pages... or not. There are folks over at SYW that have good eyes for inconsistencies in content, and others are good with writing mechanics. A few are good in both respects. Give it a shot.

Last edited:

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Siddow said:
Mine is in near-second-draft form. I've reworked the entire opening to fit the genre. I wrote the original organically, and then I had a choice to make: market as horror or supernatural romance. So it was either change the beginning or the end. I chose the beginning. Sorry, but I really liked the way the guy died. Lucky for me, the middle works!

I think that is great! It's so much easier to manipulate a completed work rather then struggling with blank pages. And never apologize for liking what you've done in a piece (liking a character's death); pride in our work is often all we have until it finally gets published.

John61480

The Elements of Style
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and posted the first chapter from my work in progress novel. It's the one I described earlier in this thread. I thought I would just follow through with it and see what comes of it.

It features an exorcism.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Marlowe! We're damned proud of ya. Reaching THE END is a helluva accomplishment. Now, on to the next phase.

Are you going to let it sit for a few days/weeks/months, then begin a final edit, or are you ready for the submission route?

If youre ready for the sub route, have you got your targets lined up? Are you going after representation first, or going straight to the publishers with your mnauscript?

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
John, I'm a sucker for a good exorcism. I'll head over there and take a look in a bit!

Marlowe

Duck of Death
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmovieplanet.com
Liam Jackson said:
Congrats, Marlowe! We're damned proud of ya. Reaching THE END is a helluva accomplishment. Now, on to the next phase.

Are you going to let it sit for a few days/weeks/months, then begin a final edit, or are you ready for the submission route?

If youre ready for the sub route, have you got your targets lined up? Are you going after representation first, or going straight to the publishers with your mnauscript?

I've let it sit for a week- normally I'd wait longer, but this was a very intense, roller-coaster kind of ride, and I'm going to try and capitalize on that energy to push through to the final draft. I actually was a little nuts and sent out query letters a month or so ago; I was under the misguided impression that putting the rough draft online would make it more sellable. (Trust me, made perfect sense at the time.) Fortunately, I've had two postive response to the queries, one from Trident Media Group and the other from Harvey Klinger, Inc. I'll be sending the full manuscipt to HK within a week or so- I sent a partial to Trident, cause that's all I had at the time, but I'll probably try and contact them and see if they want the rest of it.

I'm pretty psyched. I've been doing this for a while, it's nice to feel like I'm finally making professional progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.