We think you suck, but please subscribe to our magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
After many months, which according to this particular small, subsidized magazine means that my story was probably short listed, they sent me a rejection and a pitch for a subscription. How tacky can you get?

After reading a few issues of their magazine and finding some really bad stories, I thought I'd have it made. But apparently nobody likes stories about people who are "unsympathetic", despite the fact that this was the point of the story and that not everyone in the world is a sympathetic person full of maudlin sentiment. And that the main character should have seen it coming? Bullsh!t. Utter bullsh!t. Sometimes people don't look at things objectively and they can't "see it coming". Kind of like me in regard to this rejection letter.

What's even worse is that in my overconfidence, I wrote a story for their upcoming theme issue contest. But now that they've rejected my stuff, I don't think it'll be worth the 25$ entrance fee to have them recognize my name and automatically pan it, if even subconsciously. Maybe I'll submit it elsewhere now. Hopefully the story makes sense on its own without having the contest theme as a reference.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Well, on one hand, if the magazine really has as many bad stories as you say, you don't want your reputation soiled by being published in it. Plus, why would you want to be in a magazine so tacky to push a subscription on you with your rejection?

That probably doesn't help that much, but there's probably bigger and better things out there for you. Keep submitting.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Maybe they suggested you get a subscription so you could see what sorts of things they DO publish. You know, it's that whole "We recommend you review our past issues for an idea of the types of things we consider publishable material", that sort of thing.

Or maybe they're a bunch of greedy scumsucking bottom feeders.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe, but how do they think I found out about one of only two science fiction magazines in all of Canada? Of course I've read their magazine. It just smacks of "tacky" to me. Almost as bad as when you get a catalog from a publisher with your rejection. eeeugh. Talk about "unsympathetic". But I guess that's only unacceptable in fiction. In real life, people can be as unsympathetic as they want. And expect to recieve donations for it.

I'm still not over this ridiculous concept of "your character didn't act the way I would have him act, therefore it sucks." If they had said my writing plain sucked, then fine. But that? Come on. Give me a break.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
stories

It's not tacky to send along a subscription request. If anything, it's tacky not to subscribe to a magazine you want to write for.

And when you thought you found bad stories in that magazine, you should have decided not to submit to it. You were wrong. You may not have liked those stories, but they were not bad, and thinking they were means you and the editor see things in a very different way.

It is always a very dumb idea to submit to any magazine you think contains bad stories because I guarantee the editor who bought those stories thought they were the best he could find.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
OUCH. That is so tacky and so harsh. But think on the positive side: Your story sounds WAY better than the crap they publish. Clearly you'd be better off at a different magazine anyway. I wouldn't even bother paying the $25 dollars and submitting again to the magazine. Save your money, and take your business elsewhere. If it's a good story, it will stand on its own. :) Good luck!

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
RG570 said:
After many months, which according to this particular small, subsidized magazine means that my story was probably short listed, they sent me a rejection and a pitch for a subscription. How tacky can you get?

After reading a few issues of their magazine and finding some really bad stories, I thought I'd have it made. But apparently nobody likes stories about people who are "unsympathetic", despite the fact that this was the point of the story and that not everyone in the world is a sympathetic person full of maudlin sentiment. And that the main character should have seen it coming? Bullsh!t. Utter bullsh!t. Sometimes people don't look at things objectively and they can't "see it coming". Kind of like me in regard to this rejection letter.

What's even worse is that in my overconfidence, I wrote a story for their upcoming theme issue contest. But now that they've rejected my stuff, I don't think it'll be worth the 25$ entrance fee to have them recognize my name and automatically pan it, if even subconsciously. Maybe I'll submit it elsewhere now. Hopefully the story makes sense on its own without having the contest theme as a reference.

What's wrong with that? I've had plenty of rejections come back with leaflets about subscribing.

I have to say, I look at copies of magazines I'm considering, and don't judge if they're bad or not - I judge if my stuff is like theirs.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I like the rejection I got from an agent: I think you suck, so buy my book called "How To Write"- you need it!

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RG: Great thread title! Couldn't help but read. I dunno; I'd find the subscription form galling.

Jamesaritchie said:
It's not tacky to send along a subscription request. If anything, it's tacky not to subscribe to a magazine you want to write for.

And when you thought you found bad stories in that magazine, you should have decided not to submit to it. You were wrong. You may not have liked those stories, but they were not bad, and thinking they were means you and the editor see things in a very different way.

It is always a very dumb idea to submit to any magazine you think contains bad stories because I guarantee the editor who bought those stories thought they were the best he could find.

A spoonful of vinegar? What would Mary Poppins say?

No need to be insulting; your extensive knowledge and experience lend enough heft to your comments without the slap in the face.

Why should anyone be expected to subscribe to a magazine just to submit to it? Buy an issue or two, sure. Seems smart. But subscribe?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
poetinahat said:
RG: Great thread title! Couldn't help but read. I dunno; I'd find the subscription form galling.

A spoonful of vinegar? What would Mary Poppins say?

No need to be insulting; your extensive knowledge and experience lend enough heft to your comments without the slap in the face.

Why should anyone be expected to subscribe to a magazine just to submit to it? Buy an issue or two, sure. Seems smart. But subscribe?

I didn't mean I said to be insulting. You subscribe to help keep the magazine alive, not submit just so you can sell stories. One of the biggest problems with the magazine field right now is that millions of writers want to sell them storioes, but no one seems to want to buy a subscription. This is killing the goose, and pretty soon there won't be any more golden eggs.

And it's true. If you think the stories in a given magazine are bad, the dumbest thing you can do is submit your own work to that magazine. The editor who bought those stories loved them, and if you think they're bad, it's almost certain he'll think your stories are bad. You and the editor have very different taste in fiction.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
It's not like every story is terrible and I hate the magazine. I like it. But each issue has one or two stories which have no real story, and aren't "literary" either, so I'm left with one other conclusion: that they're bad. My story has problems, sure, but I think the point I was making more than makes up for a less than likeable character.

I still think it's tacky to try to sell me their wares WHILE rejecting me. I buy their magazine already. I don't think they need to be pushing their product on people with a rejection letter. Send a subscription form later, if you really need to. Doing it this way is just like putting salt on the wound.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
You were wrong. You may not have liked those stories, but they were not bad, and thinking they were means you and the editor see things in a very different way.

How do you know they were not bad? Did you read all of them?

Jamesaritchie said:

Undoubtedly, they were the best the editor could find. And I believe the OP was saying he thought that if he submitted his own, the editor would have found a better one.

It's pretty difficult to find a magazine that never has a story you think is less than perfect. That doesn't mean you shouldn't submit. If it did, all writers would only submit to the same 3 publications all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.