• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. I get the part about Piercy Jackson for an older crowd, but not sure about the manga part. (I know, I'm probably just dense.) Do you mean a collection of short stories/encounters, tied together in an underlying theme? (I love epic fantasy, so I'm just curious.)

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
And now for the rest of the story. (Sorry, but I need to dispel all the bad karma if there's any hope for success.) If it were only the month-long wait, it wouldn't be as bad. However, there's another dark reason for my pessimism. I'm such a dolt!

I actually finished my revision and sent it to Nancy in mid-December, and as I waited for her response, I spent more time reviewing the books she asked me to read. My revision was so extensive (added 75,000 words, tearing apart and reassembling the original 90,000) that as I reread some of the novels, it became clear I still needed to fine tune my new manuscript. So I started another round of editing and was almost done when I got Nancy's email, telling me she had dug her way out from the effort of getting manuscripts ready for publishers, and finally had time to read.

I emailed her right back, asking her that if she hadn't started reading my revision, to please wait; I'd have an even better version in a few days. She replied that she had already started reading, but would put it aside. (bang, bang, bang - that's the sound of me smacking my head against the wall). I had wanted to make my manuscript as perfect as possible, and identified a few rough patches that needed fixing and hundreds of other minor improvements. But should I have stopped her? Wouldn't the original revision have been close enough for her to decide? At least I'd have some sort of answer by now.

I sent the "improved" revision to her the first week of January, and haven't heard a thing. And so my glass of pessimism is overflowing - If she started reading it and liked it, then why didn't she pick it back up once I sent in the new version only 2 days later? Well, the answer is obvious - my writing is still terrible, or the new manuscript is too long (bang, bang, bang), or she's lost interest in the story, or her client list is full, or she was killed in a car accident, or .... and the reasons go on and on.

There's probably a simple, non-sinister reason for the silence. She's just busy, and will eventually get to it. But in the meantime, it's hard to keep the demons of doubt at bay...

Okay, I'm done now. I think.

Last edited:

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
There's probably a simple, non-sinister reason for the silence. She's just busy, and will eventually get to it. But in the meantime, it's hard to keep the demons of doubt at bay...

Okay, I'm done now. I think.

Sounds like she's really interested, though, to mail you books and give you her phone number. I bet she's just busy or your latest rev ended up at the bottom of the queue again (it happens). Hang in there and good luck!

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Erin. Your encouragement, along with Kaitie and Julie's is helping. Think positive, right! I'm actually able to concentrate somewhat now, starting to revise my first love, which of course, will never see the light of day. (okay, okay, think positive!) :)

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Ericknoe--re: Manga. I don't mean separate stories tied together; I'm really talking about the story stylistically. I level Tokyo in the opening two chapters, Miami in the third. Huge, mythic beasts go at it in the Himalayas and the Black Sea, and finally a cataclysmic aerial battle over Mt. Fuji between both gods and monsters :) Like Manga, instead of dinosaur-sized beasties, I go for the Japanese version (read HUGE). In terms of story-telling too, I went for the asian ideals of spirit-lords not gods, the concepts of harmony and balance and duty, unrequited love, and the need to right past wrong :)

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Kmarshall. If it gets published, let me know.

Hey Erin - I went to your website and ended up buying your eBook - Chasing Shadows. It'll be the first romance novel I've read, but the paranormal theme caught my attention (my "first love" has a paranormal element and this morning I'm re-writing the chapter where one of the main characters reveals her ability). But I especially liked the descriptive prose in the excerpt you posted. That's always been a problem for me, and hopefully some of your talent will rub off.

Last edited:

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
ericknoe--will do! Feels like I've been at it forever.

Mt. Dew Addict

Oh my...I'm a big girl now...eep?
Registered
Reaction score
@ericknoe - Breathe!!! I know EXACTLY how you feel -- I spent the last three months with excited agents looking at my full (excited, and yet it took so much time!), and it was agonizing to wait. But don't let the doubt get you! I hope I can help you feel a bit better:

Replying to a full takes time -- have you ever critiqued a fellow author's full manuscript? Throw in clients and running an agency, and the time gets longer, even if you love the manuscript. If Nancy sends you a no, she'll want to give you a list of what needs improvement, esp if she was so enthused about your writing before. What most people forget is that giving you a YES takes time to prepare, too -- she's going to give you just as detailed notes, because she'll want to make sure that your visions for the book align, and she'll want to give you her thoughts on revision in case other agents offer after she does, so you have something to help you decide.

January is also a very busy month after holiday-filled Dec -- more queries (new years resolutions, anyone?), editors refreshed, etc. AND the flu has hit the agency, and I believe Joanna's caught it twice. That's going to slow all business down, and if they put anything to the side, it's going to be potential clients.

So Breathe! You're doing great -- you sound like an agent's dream to work with. I suggest, as you wait, picking up a new project. Give yourself something to distract you, and improve your craft with...and when you do get that call, from Nancy or whomever, you can tell your new agent that yes, you have a second book in the works ;)

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Thanks Kmarshall. If it gets published, let me know.

Hey Erin - I went to your website and ended up buying your eBook - Chasing Shadows. It'll be the first romance novel I've read, but the paranormal theme caught my attention (my "first love" has a paranormal element and this morning I'm re-writing the chapter where one of the main characters reveals her ability). But I especially liked the descriptive prose in the excerpt you posted. That's always been a problem for me, and hopefully some of your talent will rub off.

Wow, thanks, Eric! Hope you like it and it's not too sappy romance for you! I like to think I've gotten better with description (and everything else) since writing that book...I've written 3 since then. I just finished a total rewrite of my "first love" novel with a new fresh theme. The only thing I used from the original was the 3 characters and the main plot! Good luck with yours, and if it's meant to see the light of day, it will!

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
@ericknoe - Breathe!!! I know EXACTLY how you feel -- I spent the last three months with excited agents looking at my full (excited, and yet it took so much time!), and it was agonizing to wait. But don't let the doubt get you! I hope I can help you feel a bit better:

Thanks Mt. Dew Addict. Your post did help. Actually, as I think about my ranting posts this weekend, I'm a little embarrassed. But it really helped, getting it out of my system. I'm back to thinking positive. She'll eventually get to my revision and will like what I've done, right? Right.

I've been Mr. Doom and Gloom, when I'm in an enviable position for an aspiring writer - one of the best agents in the business likes my story and is willing to work with me, offering both compliments and stark criticism. When she rejected my original Full, her first words were encouraging - "dynamite plot, memorable characters". But then she let the hammer fall with "your writing skills just aren't strong enough to carry off this intricate mix of action and emotion". Ouch!

But at least I had the answers I was looking for: Good Plot? (check). Good Writing? (nope). And because Nancy was willing to work with me, she at least saw some potential there, right? With the list of authors she advised me to read, it was clear she was saying MAKE IT LOOK LIKE THIS. However, if writing like THIS were easy, we'd all be best selling authors. The nuances and complexity of how these authors told their stories were just overwhelming to me.

As I read through the novels, it seemed the challenge was insurmountable. There was no way I would be able to write even half as well as these #1 Best-Selling authors. I almost gave up for good a couple of times, figuring there was just no way. But after six months of reading, studying, and note taking, I picked up a shaky pen and gave it my best shot. And in a few days or weeks, I'll learn how well I discerned what those authors were doing, and how to apply it to my novel. And so, with my fingers crossed, checking email too many times each day to count, I await the verdict.

(I just hope I'm close...)

Mt. Dew Addict

Oh my...I'm a big girl now...eep?
Registered
Reaction score
No need to be embarrassed -- that's what we at AW are for, to help each other out. ALL the writers I know, and myself, have gone through the emotions you expressed in the rant. I'm working on a new chapter at my agent's suggestion, and even though last week I heard her gush about my wonderful writing, there's a little voice going 'you can't pull it off, you haven't touched this manuscript for months, you've lost your protagonist's voice..." I'll likely bite my nails and take a Tums after I send it to her. Crazy, neh? You're not alone, ericknoe. If anything, your emotions mean you care about your work, and that's good.

Hang in there! Soon Nancy will get to your manuscript, and you'll deal with the situation life gives you when you get there. :)

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Mt. Dew Addict. Appreciate the support. I'll try to be more Mello Yellow. :)

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why I'm doing this to myself but I have once again thrown myself to the mercy of Joanna Volpe by querying her with my new book. I really must thrive on the drama because I haven't even finished editing it yet, not fully anyway! I just got itchy and excited about querying and before I knew it I'd sent one to her. Oh, well. Fingers crossed I guess. For me and for all of you too!

NDZone

Registered
Reaction score
Wildflower, you realize you usually only get one shot per project per agent, right? Think hard before using that shot for an unprepared manuscript. JMO.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Wildflower!

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Back for round 3. I finally got Nancy's reply last month. Another R. As feared, my revision was way too long - she said I needed to cut at least 200 pages before she would give it serious consideration. My first attempt was too stripped down and the revision was way too much. I need to find that middle ground. But 200 pages!

Anyway, with 52,000 words on the cutting room floor, I just sent in my latest revision. I was pretty content as I worked on it, knowing that every hour spent was making it better. But now that I've handed it off again, my anxiety is already skyrocketing. Let's hope I handle it better this time than last. (couldn't do much worse...)

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
Yes, she mailed me two books. When she rejected the Full, she gave me a list of authors to read, and she followed up by offering to mail me three of their books so i wouldn'nt have to buy them. (But i had already bought one of them on-line the night before.)...

Can you tell us what books they were? The books and the list? Just curious.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck TeacherLady. I know exactly how you feel. :)

tbrosz - Nancy sent me Andrew Britton's books, and recommended I read Silva, Flynn, and Thor. My book is a military thriller with an espionage element - it turns out the Godmother of the modern romance novel is an avid military thriller and espionage fan.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I e-queried Joanna last night, and I had a request for partial+synopsis in my inbox by the time I got to work this morning! I'll be sending it tomorrow after I do one last check. I am completely psyched.

E.Murray

Queries suck.
Registered
Reaction score
Sent query via email with first 5 pages on 5/12. Nancy replied on 5/17 requesting synopsis and first 50 pages. I don't have much confidence in my synopsis (it's a big, complex story and hard to make compelling in 2 double-spaced pages...), so that's a strike against me. Maybe she'll like the partial enough to request a full, though. I've had two others pass after the partial, but maybe she'll like it more. We'll see...

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck E.Murray! What genre is your novel?

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Kathleen just requested a full from my 75 page partial from April. EEEEEEE! I am so pumped!