• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
A rejection for me as well. Here are the stats:

Queried 11/4
Full request received 11/11
Full sent 11/11
Rejection (form) received 12/28

Too bad. Ms. Volpe's a great agent.

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Krista. About 6 weeks to receive your R...like me.
Did you get any helpful feedback?

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
My confirmation email said if I didn't hear from her in two weeks to consider it a pass. So...I guess I got a silent R. It's been more than two weeks, almost three.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Krista. About 6 weeks to receive your R...like me.
Did you get any helpful feedback?

Nope. The rejection was a form. I believe Ms. Volpe generally uses form rejections, even in the case of requested fulls. If you got feedback, you're definitely ahead of the rest of us :)

channywax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chansedg.blogspot.com
Sorry Krista! I've been following your progress a little on here and it looks like we've gotten requests from some of the same agents! I'm sorry to hear about your rejection. :( Don't give up!! If you've been getting this much attention you're bound to snag an agent soon! :)

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Channy. No helpful info for me either, but we'll keep at it!

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com
Question about requested material

Hi all,

I just got a partial request from Joanna Volpe, but I'm not sure which email address to send it to...she sent the request from [email protected], so should I use that address? She did mention to put "Requested Material" in the subject line along with her name, but it seems odd to send a partial to a query email address. Just looking for clarification from anyone who has submitted a partial or full!

Thanks!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
If that's how she asked to have it sent, go ahead and send it that way. They'll get it. :)

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I always hit the reply button and send it that way, making sure to put Requested Material in the subject line, so unless she's said something different stick to that.

Got a rejection from them on Friday.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The query address just goes to their assistant (or intern, I'm not sure) anyway, so she'll pass it on to Joanna

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
When I submitted a full to her I sent it back to that address and put Requested Material in the subject line. She sent a nice reply back saying that she recieved it and was looking forward to reading it. Very nice lady!

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted on January 11 and haven't heard from her. Since some have received rejections, I'm not sure if I should write her off yet.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Kmarshall- did you get an auto-reply from them? It says if you haven't heard from them in two weeks it means a no.

I actually missed that, and sent a follow up on my query (I know sometimes that's a no-no) because they were in my top ten at the time, well I got a very quick e-mail with the a copy of the auto reply that was sent to me. Stating again that if you don't here back it's a no.
It wasn't an overly polite e-mail but I felt silly anyways for missing the "fine print" in the auto reply.

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to go back and look at my messages. I was still curious, though. As we all know, sometimes the agents run behind.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

Long time lurker here - been following your posts and silently wishing you the best. I've restrained myself from posting (not knowing where it would end once it began), but as I wait in purgatory for the email that will send me to Heaven or Hell, I've broken down and logged on for mutual support.

A long story, but hopefully you'll find it interesting. I have a Full in with Nancy. I sent her a snail mail query about a year ago, back when they were only taking hard copy, and got an email response from her within a week requesting the Full. I was a bit surprised, as earlier posts in this forum described her as old-fashioned without any email. Apparently she's tech-savvy now. Perhaps we can thank Joanna. But a week later, I got the big R.

However, she liked the story and characters and was willing to accept a revision, and even sent me a few books with the kind of writing style she was looking for and a list of other authors to read. (I had tried to be smarter than the average bear, and wrote the novel in a rather unique viewpoint which apparently didn't work - same response from the other two agents who read the Full.) And so, I rolled my sleeves up and spent a few months just reading, then a few more re-writing, and sent her the revision about 4 weeks ago.

And here I sit, barely able to concentrate as I await her reply. I try to keep myself preoccupied, starting to work on my next project, but my attention span is soooo short, and I invariably find myself daydreaming about her response, which ranges from "It's spectacular" to "It's obvious you have no writing talent, and need to stop."

Sigh. 26 days, 5 hours and 41 minutes. But who's counting....

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Ericknoe. :) The waiting is tough, isn't it?

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Kaitie! Do you have a Full or query in with Nancy or Joanna?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
However, she liked the story and characters and was willing to accept a revision, and even sent me a few books with the kind of writing style she was looking for and a list of other authors to read.

She sent actual, physical books? That is so rare you have every reason to be hopeful!

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
She sent actual, physical books?

Yes, she mailed me two books. When she rejected the Full, she gave me a list of authors to read, and she followed up by offering to mail me three of their books so i wouldn'nt have to buy them. (But i had already bought one of them on-line the night before.) She even gave me her phone number, but I've never called. I'm way too intimidated. I imagine talking to her about writing would be like a 2nd grader discussing calculus concepts with a college professor.

So it seems she likes the plot, and is hoping I can figure out how to write it. And therein lies the challenge, of course. I've always thought there were two element to a sucessful novel:
- a compelling plot, and
- a well written story

It seems i've finally conquered the first, but not mastered the second. (The two other agents who read the full were both open to a resubmission after revision, so it looks like the plot itself is good to go.) And so I've completely retooled my writing style, coming at it from a different angle, but I have no idea if I've got the right approach, have any idea of what I'm doing, or if I have even close to the talent required to be in this business.

I was 0 for 3 on the original version, so I'm back at the plate for another attempt, hoping at least for a single. I can see the fast ball coming, I'm stepping into it, and the bat's moving forward. But will the sound I hear be another "whiff",' or the wonderful sound of a sharp crack?

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted on January 11 and haven't heard from her. Since some have received rejections, I'm not sure if I should write her off yet.
Was your submittal a query? The agency blog says Joanna's been out sick for the last two weeks. Maybe that explains the delay.

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
It was a standard query. As others pointed out, though, she has that note saying 'if you don't hear in two weeks' consider it a no. Never say never, but it's been longer than that, so I'd be surprised if she asks to see more. I have other partials out, so we'll see.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
It was a standard query. As others pointed out, though, she has that note saying 'if you don't hear in two weeks' consider it a no. Never say never, but it's been longer than that, so I'd be surprised if she asks to see more. I have other partials out, so we'll see.

Well good luck with your partials! What kind of novel did you write?

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Epic fantasy. Think Percy Jackson meets Manga but for an older audience.