• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
That's probably good if she's looking for one because you can be the pioneer for her! Keep me updated about how you do as you'll probably hear back before me - fingers triple crossed for both of us :0)

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dormroomdreamer.blogspot.com
I'm heading to the Writer's Digest conference this January :) And I definitely plan to pitch Joanna at the pitch slam--I pitched her in 2009 at the same conference and she requested a partial--ultimately she passed, BUT I've got a new project I'm pretty psyched about. MG fantasy :)

Been reading most of this thread and thought I'd pitch in :) Any advice? Also, when I met her--just to confirm what everyone else has said--she's super nice and enthusiastic! I pitched her for less than a min and after she requested my stuff we just started chatting about Marr's novels :) Definitely, down to earth and nice!

Btw good luck to those of you with fulls out!!

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Evvie.
I envy you meeting her in person.
Best of luck to you on your pitch.
Joanna's had my full for only 5 weeks.
I expect to wait 'till January to hear.
No fingernails left, but lots of hope.

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
That's so cool Evvie! Wishing you the best, you must be super confident to pitch...the idea of it makes me break out in nervous twitches :0) Thanks for the luck for my full! Am desperately trying to keep myself busy so as not to totally go insane lol!

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
Evvie,

I write thrillers with a post apocalyptic slant.
My first one, 60 Days (Joanna has it), tells how a nuclear war got started. It involves homegrown terrorists, voodoo, and nuclear bombs carried by oil tankers.
My second one, 60 Degrees (finished), tells the story of three teenage girls 20 years later. It involves genetic testing, slavery, and living by one's wits.
The third one, 60 Demons (wip), finishes the tale by pulling characters from the first and second together. It revolves around magic and settling old scores.
Most of my main characters are female. I love writing about strong females and the unusual ways they make things happen.

What about you?

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Pitching isn't too bad..after the initial first one. The first one you are nervous--the second a bit less and gradually you start to enjoy yourself :) I wouldn't stress too much if you do go.

And Esmerelda that sounds pretty cool! I like how they are all different but seem to come together. I definitely like female protagonists myself..although I have been toying with the idea of a male protagonist.

I have a high fantasy mss--My character is the first of her kind and spends her life in hiding. When she's discovered--her own aunt tries to kill her. She winds up in a dangerous political struggle that could end her life. (This one is complete--although I decided to do a couple extra revisions after some agent feedback)

The one I plan to pitch I'm just wrappin up and plan to do the revisions on it. (It's a Middle grade--pretty short barely 30k)

A thirteen year old witch dates her mortal enemy---a vamp. But she learns the hard way that you can't trust a vamp. It's more cute and lighthearted w. some serious elements later on in the plot. My query is much better lol but its really like cutesy and comparable to Cornelia Funke and Rick Riordan's stuff.

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
They all sound interesting Evvie.
You have a wonderful imagination.
I love this web site. Everyone here has such great sounding manuscripts.
Too bad they won't take us all!

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Lol I've always creeped on these boards for ages :) I love hearing their takes on agents and stuff. I also read the entire Nathan Bransford thread and Jennifer Laughrams.

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
With your second MS - the one you're planning to pitch - I think you'll have a really good chance because from what I've read on here and on interviews Joanna really loves YA :0) Not to mention it sounds really interesting...I'd buy it!

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
I've actually lurked for a long time too.
Keeping my figers crossed for us all.

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
For real? Wildflower you just made my day :)

Haha and Esmerelda--I think we all started off as Lurkers :) I still don't know how to find things on this site..I only google the topic the add absolute write to the search haha

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
I know I started off as a lurker! After Joanna requested my full I googled her and this came up. I was hooked and it's also kinda nice because you can see all of the success stories as they play out - perhaps as future people will for us when they read back on this in the future...?? Fingers crossed for that!
p.s glad I made your day :0) but seriously if you get published you'll have to send me a link to where I can buy it!!

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I totally agree! :) following everyone's success stories makes it all the more real...fingers crossed the same happens for us.

And you've made my day again! :)

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back yet?? This snow preventing me from going out is making it harder not to check my emails every five minutes - especially since I'm coming into my 5th week of waiting.
Alas I think my manuscript may be destined for a murky corner of my desk drawer until the market has become un-saturated with vampires. Sigh. And I did come up with my idea before Twilight too...

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
I heard back. R for me. Too bad, but sending out more in the new year.

Esmeralda

Snowman...on the job
Registered
Reaction score
Not yet Evvie. Hope to today. Since my accident, I only have the use of my left hand for 6 weeks. Slow typing. Glad my girls are here for Christmas.

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed over christmas then Evvie that Joanna gives me The Call... soooooo sorry Esmerelda! But somewhere is an agent who will be perfect for it, i'm sure. Hope you all had a good christmas!!

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Well proof that agents work over christmas - got the big R for my full this morning :0( ah well. I figured that it would be so not entirely surprised! Good luck everyone else though! Evvie today marked 5 weeks and 3 days. how long ago did you send it?

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh wow! Not too bad of a time on a full. I'm sorry about the R though. AND lol I'm waiting on Ginger Clark..not Joanna..I'm just stalking the thread b/c I totally wanna pitch her at the Writer's Digest Conference in January :) Always nice to know pplz experience with her.

Jennifer---what do you have out with her? A query? Partial or Full??