• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, do you know if Joanna asks for a synopsis along with the partial? I heard from a few people that she did, and I haven't actually had to put together a synopsis just yet, so I wanted to know for sure before I queried her.

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
When Joanna requested my partial back in May, she did want a synopsis, yes. But she didn't ask fro one from another friend of mine she also represents, so I think it depends.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, she rejected my query anyway, so it doesn't matter! This isn't my week.

By the way, Blind Writer, not to sound creepy or anything, but I ended up reading about your book while looking through this thread, and it's totally on my To Read list when it comes out!

Shayk1951

Registered
Reaction score
Thmafi,

No, I had a bunch of ms out to different agents. Send out twenty in November; no reply on ten of them. Rejections on 9; request for partial from 1. Rejections for her after she read it. That's why I'm frantically rewriting. I'm in several yahoo groups and I sent it to several for critiquing. Got some good feedback.

Sorry, I didn't get back to you on this. I thought I'd saved the website to my yahoo bookmarks and I didn't. Had to Google the website again.

Shay

jennifer williams

Registered
Reaction score
And I just received a rejection of a partial request. Joanna said it was a bit too similar to another book on her list :( I don't feel too bad about this as I sorta snuck this one past her anyway. Off to drown my sorrows in some girl scout cookies and then write some more! Hopefully I'll have better luck with the next one!

For anyone that's interested in the time line:
I queried her at the end of April (for her contest)
She requested a partial by March 1st which I immediately sent out
And I just received a rejection today.

aSilverRing

Registered
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to be a "winner" in Joanna's query contest in February, but just last night got the dreaded reject of the first 50 pp. of my mainstream saga - although it was eminently professional and offered some tailored critique, of which I get entirely too little.

In short, Joanna Volpe (of the Coffey agency) will be getting queries from me in the future (unless some other "lucky" agent snaps me up first...<gg>)

chaddy

Registered
Reaction score
I received a full manuscript request from Nancy and sent it out yesterday. This was my first request from the queries I sent out a couple weeks ago. I wanted to make sure everything was perfect so I did a lot of research on what should be included and how it should look. It wasn't until 2 hours after I mailed it out (of course) that I realized I sent it in single spaced. I've read it should always be double spaced when sending out. Will this hurt me?

Help!

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Chaddy,

It's hard to say. It depends on the agent. To be on the safe side, as I'm writing my MS, I set it up for double space. Then, when I have to send it out, it's formatted correctly.

chaddy

Registered
Reaction score
I am so upset about this. I was almost thinking of sending them a general email asking if I should resend it. I would just hate to be pushed aside because of this.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I am so upset about this. I was almost thinking of sending them a general email asking if I should resend it. I would just hate to be pushed aside because of this.

I don't think there's anything wrong with resending the submission.

Just say that you noticed that you sent the wrong file, that this e-mail has the correct file, and that you're very sorry for the mistake.

Everyone makes mistakes.

(I'm assuming that you sent it via e-mail and not postal mail....)

chaddy

Registered
Reaction score
Nancy only accepts snail, so yes it went postal.

NDZone

Registered
Reaction score
These people read all day, half the night and to/from work on the train. A single spaced full manuscript would make an agent cross-eyed. Many agents see this as an auto-reject because, frankly, double spacing a full is as basic as it comes.

Here's what I would do. Their new assistant's name is Sara and her email addy is [email protected]. Email her and say that you just realized your formatting went all screwy and you think you sent her a single spaced requested full. Tell her you have a properly formatted ms boxed up and ready to go and to please recycle the original upon arrival. Give her until noon Monday to send you a don't-worry-about-it reply. If you don't get said reply, send the new manuscript. A couple days won't kill you and the manuscript would sit in a stack for days to weeks before being read anyway.

Agents are people too. Even pros screw up. Just fix it and communicate what's going on. Luck.

chaddy

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the advice, I'm getting right on that.

chaddy

Registered
Reaction score
These people read all day, half the night and to/from work on the train. A single spaced full manuscript would make an agent cross-eyed. Many agents see this as an auto-reject because, frankly, double spacing a full is as basic as it comes.

Here's what I would do. Their new assistant's name is Sara and her email addy is [email protected]. Email her and say that you just realized your formatting went all screwy and you think you sent her a single spaced requested full. Tell her you have a properly formatted ms boxed up and ready to go and to please recycle the original upon arrival. Give her until noon Monday to send you a don't-worry-about-it reply. If you don't get said reply, send the new manuscript. A couple days won't kill you and the manuscript would sit in a stack for days to weeks before being read anyway.

Agents are people too. Even pros screw up. Just fix it and communicate what's going on. Luck.

Thank You NDZone, I emailed Sara as you suggested and she replied back this morning. She told me not to worry and just send in the new one. She was very nice saying they appreciated the email.
You really helped me on this one!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't anyone else have concerns about an agent who's bio on her website is
"Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent..."

I mean if you only have the placeholder text you probably shouldn't go live with your website!

NDZone

Registered
Reaction score
Thank You NDZone, I emailed Sara as you suggested and she replied back this morning. She told me not to worry and just send in the new one. She was very nice saying they appreciated the email.
You really helped me on this one!

Great! Best of luck.

NDZone

Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't anyone else have concerns about an agent who's bio on her website is
"Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent..."

I mean if you only have the placeholder text you probably shouldn't go live with your website!

Concerns? Frankly, I think if you're Nancy Coffey you can insert a recipe for buttered toast as your bio and writers who've properly researched agents would still jump through hoops for the opportunity to query you.

midazolam

Registered
Reaction score
I got a request for a full from this agency, as well as a 2-page synopsis. I don't have the synopsis written, but the full is totally ready to go. Should I send her the full first, or wait to send both? I feel like it could take me a long time to write a synopsis...

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I got a request for a full from this agency, as well as a 2-page synopsis. I don't have the synopsis written, but the full is totally ready to go. Should I send her the full first, or wait to send both? I feel like it could take me a long time to write a synopsis...

You should send both together. Good luck!!

midazolam

Registered
Reaction score
I ended up sending the full and asking for a few extra days to write the synopsis. She was fine with that. What a great agency - I'd be absolutely thrilled to get an offer from them.

Thanks, Erin! :)

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I ended up sending the full and asking for a few extra days to write the synopsis. She was fine with that. What a great agency - I'd be absolutely thrilled to get an offer from them.

Thanks, Erin! :)

Good move! Good luck with your submission. I had dealings with Joanna last year and she was very pleasant and accomodating.