• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation

Newriter1

Registered
Reaction score
I saw on another website that Joanna requested material and signed a client, start to finish from 10/26-11/17. For those of us with material out with her for longer than that period (or even before that period in some cases, I see), does that mean she's not interested?

brimfire

Registered
Reaction score
Newriter: you never can tell. She might have just opened the other ms before yours and got hooked. Or maybe the other author had an offer from a different agent, which led Joanna to have to read quicker than usual. Lots of variables in play. If you haven't gotten a rejection yet, it means she hasn't gotten to you or she's still thinking about it - both are good things.

:)

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Met Joanna Stampfel-Volpe at a writers conference, she asked for a partial, I sent that on 11/18 at noon, got a confirmation from her at 10:46 that same day thanking me for sending it, and haven't heard anything since.

inkinveins

Registered
Reaction score
I got a request for a partial on 11/18 as well. Have heard lots of great things about Joanna!

Last edited:

Newriter1

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Brimfire. The other author had previously been agented and had parted ways.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great post! Thanks! She seems like a really cool person. :)

She truly is. I can vouch for the sentiments in her blog post. I spent some time with her at a conference and she was unbelievably sweet and engaging. I wasn't represented at the time, and she'd already read and passed on a partial of my book, but we were just girls hanging out in the bar.

At some point during the weekend she discovered the name of my book from another agent, and she not only remembered it, but she brought it up herself (knowing, by then, there was no need to), and said kind things. Then she turned back into the girl hanging out in the bar again.

On an agent and a human level, I think Joanna's one of the great finds of the decade. I just adore her.

penelopolini

Registered
Reaction score
Received form rejection yesterday. I've been considering a total rewrite of my first 3 chapters anyway. This kind of clinches it for me.

brimfire

Registered
Reaction score
I should have clarified: my partial was email only. Joanna asked for email and snail mail versions of the full. Don't know if that's typical, though. :)

rebobinar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mysteryrobin.blogspot.com
Can I ask what address you're using to query Joanna? On agentquery they list an address with Nancy's name in it, and I just wanted to check to see if that's right.

rootb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
allanwoodrow.com
Thought I'd chime in. Joanna is my agent and she's wonderful. I can't give her a strong enough recommendation. Of course, I'm also extremely biased.

inkinveins

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in, rootb. I just emailed Blind Writer about her experience with Joanna and she can't say enough positive things about her either. Good to know. Now, if only I could stop checking my emails every twenty minutes to see if I have a reply from her. I was fine during the Holidays. I had enough to distract me. Now, the hard, cold reality of January hits and I am on pins and needles, waiting.

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
Asked me for a full about 3-5 hours after I sent my proposal. Sent a response almost 10 minutes after I sent her my attached manuscript thanking me for my submission.

[Joanna]

redlady1

Registered
Reaction score
Got a request for a query I sent today. She sounds pretty darn excited about it so I hope the books is as good as the query.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Oh crap. I sent a query to Joanna only to leave out the date and the "dear Ms." line, which I've never done before :( I indicated Joanna's name and address at the top but...still, I hope that doesn't earn my an insta-reject.

Good luck on everyone's progress so far!

Last edited: