• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation

katpaws

writer/fangirl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theresabloginmysoup.blogspot.com
Still waiting to hear back from Joanna about a partial I sent her on 06/01. I know she's been busy with all her recent acquisitions (congrats ladies!), but she seems pretty quick otherwise so I'm a little worried. Is anyone else still waiting on something from around that time? It's probably fine, but I can't help but worry :)

eveningstar

circus girl without a safety net
Registered
Reaction score
Still waiting to hear back from Joanna about a partial I sent her on 06/01. I know she's been busy with all her recent acquisitions (congrats ladies!), but she seems pretty quick otherwise so I'm a little worried. Is anyone else still waiting on something from around that time? It's probably fine, but I can't help but worry :)

I'm still waiting to hear on my partial from 6/2, katpaws. We're probably right next to each other in the to-read pile.

I have seen some stats of her taking about a month on partials, so maybe we'll be up in a week or two? I figure she's a busy bee what with all her new-found YA superstars.

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
I got my R from Joanna last night.

I queried 5/7
Partial requested 5/8
I sent a revision 6/2
R on 6/21

katpaws

writer/fangirl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theresabloginmysoup.blogspot.com
Sorry to hear that SV, but I'm glad you finally got a response. Sometimes the waiting is so nerve-wracking, I don't care what the outcome is (ok, not really...I still care a lot!), but it's good to know Joanna is responding. The right agent is out there--he/she is just all needle-in-a-hay-stack-like. Hard to find, but worth finding. (...maybe that isn't a good analogy. Why would you look for a needle in a haystack anyway? Can't you just go buy another needle? Now this is really OT...:))

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words! Luckily I received my first full request from another agent right before Joanna's R, so that definitely softened the blow.

Good luck katpaws and eveningstar, I know you're still waiting.

Wow Kody, congrats on all the early buzz.

NDZone

Registered
Reaction score
I saw that on the other thread, SV. I had lunch with him a few years ago at a conference and spent a half-hour with him between sessions. He gave the best line editing presentation I've seen and was a real nice guy. Funny, too. He's very tough but I liked him a lot. Good luck.

electric violet

Please pass the Sour Punch Straws.
Registered
Reaction score
the land of beautiful sunsets....and not so beauti
Website
www.lovethefreeworld.blogspot.com
CONGRATS ON THE FULL SV!!!!!!

Rose, I'm waiting to get my line by line mailed back to me sometime this week- Then I'm gonna plug all the new stuff in and then it'll be submission time. I can't wait! I'm so eager to see what happens, especially with all the insane success BW has been getting so far. I was so proud of her when I saw Janet Reid's blog!!

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
Oh I bet! I know it was sooo cool to see Kody mentioned on Janet's blog. I hope you get to start subbing soon. That would be so cool cuz its so soon after you signed. Though I guess its because your manuscripts didn't need much editing!

seeker4

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Just emailed Joanna about revisions/cuts that she suggested from my last correspondence with her. She wants to see the new version, but is hesitant because I did the cuts in 2 weeks (I worked day and night on them..basically it has been the past two weeks straight, but cut the ms from 83,000 down to 65,000. I can understand why she would question the time it took to cut). I'm having my husband read over it and then going to find someone who hasn't read it before that I can trust to give feedback before sending.

Now I'm nervous! She one of my dream agents and I don't want to screw this up. She said if she passes again, then it's a pass for good. Thoughts?

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
I say send it to someone you trust who hasn't read it, let your hubby read and then send it. That's going to take some time. Hopefully she'll be open to seeing it again. And maybe explain to her why you revised so quickly?

seeker4

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I say send it to someone you trust who hasn't read it, let your hubby read and then send it. That's going to take some time. Hopefully she'll be open to seeing it again. And maybe explain to her why you revised so quickly?

Thanks Rose. The thing is, she IS open to seeing it again. Her exact words were "I will definitely take a look, but please make sure that it's smooth before sending..." and then later in the email said "Let me know, though, because I am interested!"

I guess I'm just reading too much into it. All that matters is that I make sure the book is in the best shape I can make it at this point, right?

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Just emailed Joanna about revisions/cuts that she suggested from my last correspondence with her. She wants to see the new version, but is hesitant because I did the cuts in 2 weeks (I worked day and night on them..basically it has been the past two weeks straight, but cut the ms from 83,000 down to 65,000.

Now I'm nervous! She one of my dream agents and I don't want to screw this up. She said if she passes again, then it's a pass for good. Thoughts?

I've heard agents say they want you to take time w/ your edits=usually 3-4 weeks-minimum-depending if it's a partial or a full. My revise/resubmit for 50 pages took about 2 weeks--then I had 2 readers read through it and went back and edited it again. I just resent and the whole process took about a month.

I think it's difficult not to rush through, but I would say, take your time--make sure it's perfect-because the next time will be a pass.

Hope this helps!

electric violet

Please pass the Sour Punch Straws.
Registered
Reaction score
the land of beautiful sunsets....and not so beauti
Website
www.lovethefreeworld.blogspot.com
Hey Seeker- the only way to really know is to read over it (slowly,) be completely honest to yourself as to if it's your very best, and then maybe do have the hubby read it over just to be sure. Editing is sometimes deceiving in how fast/slow it turns out. Most times you have to just trust your deepest gut instinct. It's just hard sometimes to figure out exactly what that may be lol!

Rose, haha I'm not sure how long these will take me, I'm hoping three days max. (That's me being insane. Who knows how long it will really take me haha) I'm so excited about it and into reading what she had to say that I feel like I'm going to work non-stop at it though. I guess time will tell. :)

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
Two weeks isn't that short of a time if you work on it day and night. Yes, make sure it's smooth, and then send it to Joanna explaining that you had made it a priority, focused on making that revision, that's why you managed to do it quickly. I'd probably do the same if I was asked for a revision - focus and do it as fast as I could.

seeker4

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. That makes me feels better! I think I'm going to have my husband finish reading through it and try and find someone I can trust who hasn't read it before (my poor crit group has read it waayy to many times at this point to be objective). I think while all that is going on, I'll put it aside, work on my new project and then reread it over the weekend.

Great advice EV, I need to do some soul searching and make sure that it's the very best I can make it. Like Laura said, it's hard to not work day and night on it, focusing only on editing. I was so eager when she was interested (but wanted to see the cuts) that I put everything on the back burner to get through it.

MNgal, thanks for the advice. Seeing your time line helps! Good luck to you on your full!

Hopefully in the end she'll like the cuts. :) I'll keep you all posted.

Good luck on the line by line edits EV! So exciting!!!!!!!!!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. That makes me feels better! I think I'm going to have my husband finish reading through it and try and find someone I can trust who hasn't read it before (my poor crit group has read it waayy to many times at this point to be objective). I think while all that is going on, I'll put it aside, work on my new project and then reread it over the weekend.

Hie thee to the beta readers' forum. I think if you explain that you have an R&R request from an agent (which implies that your work is already pretty high quality) you'll get takers.

Helene B

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heleneboudreau.com
Good luck to all those waiting for responses and going out on submission (so exciting!).

Final word for me was a 'no', but Joanna gave me some amazing feedback, which led to a revision, which led to an offer from another agent (just yesterday!).

So, even though it didn't work out...it all worked out... :)

Joanna is excellent and those who have signed with her are very lucky! (but I'm sure they already know that <g>)