AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 37 12345671126 ... LastLast

Thread: Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation

practical experience, FTW funidream's Avatar

Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation

Does anyone have any experience in working with Nancy Coffey?

Thanks!

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    She requested my full manuscript last year and then rejected it in about 3 weeks with a standard rejection letter, the only agent to do so out of a field of nine (so far). I felt like it had been turned around by an intern who did not realise it was a requested submission.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation

http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=186
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I sent her a query in November of last year, and only just now received a request for a full manuscript. The weird thing is, the request for the full MS is a form letter, starting with "Dear Author." What's more, I think this letter was signed by an assistant (it says "NC/rbj" under the signature).

Is she legit? Asking to see a full with a form letter screams out scam agent to me, and yet her listing on Agentquery seems to be good.

Has anyone out there worked with Nancy Coffey, and if so, what was your experience? Please let me know.
    Jeff

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    My request for a full was a scruffy form too.

Absolutely Fazed
    She's a member of the AAR.

According to agentquery, her last sale was in 2001. Of course, maybe she hasn't been updating her profile.

Nancy is my agent and she is fabulous!

She has no website. She has no email. But she does have mega contacts via her years as Editor-in-Chief at Avon, St. Martins Ballantine etc.

She is very old school and does most of her communicating via phone. Nancy calls me at least once a week. She is a very hands on and involved agent.

She is credited with being the "godmother of the modern day romance novel" having found Katherrine Woodiwiss and Rosemary Rogers in the slush pile. As an agent she makes regular sales for her list of varied genre authors, and she told me she takes on one new client about every 2 years. I write historical fiction. I had absolutely no credentials, but she "loved" my story, signed me up and proceeded to get get me a two-book deal with Berkley/Penguin. My first book will be out next summer.

Here is a link to the article I read which caused me to query her:

http://www.romantictimes.com/authors_tip.php?tip=909

Thank you, funidream! I couldn't ask for a stronger recommendation than that.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by rwam View Post
    According to agentquery, her last sale was in 2001. Of course, maybe she hasn't been updating her profile.
    Her profile, including recent sales, has been recently updated on AgentQuery

Got the hang of it, here tbrosz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by funidream View Post
    Nancy is my agent and she is fabulous!

She has no website. She has no email. But she does have mega contacts via her years as Editor-in-Chief at Avon, St. Martins Ballantine etc.

She is very old school and does most of her communicating via phone. Nancy calls me at least once a week. She is a very hands on and involved agent.

She is credited with being the "godmother of the modern day romance novel" having found Katherrine Woodiwiss and Rosemary Rogers in the slush pile. As an agent she makes regular sales for her list of varied genre authors, and she told me she takes on one new client about every 2 years. I write historical fiction. I had absolutely no credentials, but she "loved" my story, signed me up and proceeded to get get me a two-book deal with Berkley/Penguin. My first book will be out next summer.

Here is a link to the article I read which caused me to query her:

http://www.romantictimes.com/authors_tip.php?tip=909
    Since you've had some experience with her, do you have some idea about how long she takes to turn around a full manuscript? She's had mine since November, and I don't want to bug her too soon.

Just out of curiosity: If she's your agent, why did you ask about her in the first post?

There's a year between those two posts?

Tri

I'm keeping my day job williamfromkc's Avatar
    Did you notice that the person who started the thread also gave her the glowing review a year later? Guess she answered her own question.
    Last edited by williamfromkc; 01-30-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrosz View Post
    Just out of curiosity: If she's your agent, why did you ask about her in the first post?

She asked about Coffey in 2006, and then came back to the thread in 2007 after she had signed with her. The dates of posts are in the dark blue band above the post, on the far left.

I'm keeping my day job williamfromkc's Avatar

Wink

ICE: I picked up on that. I just thought it was interesting that she ended up with the agent after asking about her AND was able to answer her own question. I'm not implying that she is a shill for the agent.

She requested my full on November 12th, 2007. She replied earlier this month that it wasn't for her.
    Mark

Want to learn about ETFs? Yours truly is the About.com Guide for Exchange Traded Funds.

I'm also the CEO of SEOM Interactive a Philadelphia SEO Company and I tweet at @markkennedysem

Quote Originally Posted by williamfromkc View Post
    ICE: I picked up on that. I just thought it was interesting that she ended up with the agent after asking about her AND was able to answer her own question. I'm not implying that she is a shill for the agent.
    Sorry, didn't think you were--I answered the other question before realizing you had already answered it. I also wanted to point out where the dates lived in case tbrosz hadn't noticed.

I ain't no shill!!

Quote Originally Posted by tbrosz View Post
    Since you've had some experience with her, do you have some idea about how long she takes to turn around a full manuscript? She's had mine since November, and I don't want to bug her too soon.

I started this thread when I was in the middle of trying to decide between the three agents who had offered on my manuscript back in August of 2006 - you know - just trying to gather as much info as I could. I did decide to sign with Nancy, based mostly on several great phone conversations (we just clicked) plus the fact that she knew my story inside and out and had a definite vision for how she saw the fitting into the marketplace, and a plan to develop my writing career.

And she sure came through, got me a 2-book deal with a phenomenal editor at Berkley - Jackie Cantor - the second book sold based on a synopsis I cobbled together at the eleventh hour.

She is really dedicated to her clients, and as a result, kind of slow-pokey when it comes to response time on requested material. It took two months to hear back on my full.

I know right now she has been busy with income tax paperwork - 1099s and such, so maybe she's even more behind. I'd advise you sit tight. (hard, I know!)

Good Luck!
    http://www.christineblevins.com

MIDWIFE OF THE BLUE RIDGE
    "Blevins doesn't soft-peddle the brutal realities of women's lot in the colonies, but she gives strong, skilled Maggie pluck and hope." - Publishers Weekly

THE TORY WIDOW

"...action and adventure, where the pages go by quickly as scenes are brought to life with evocative language and unerring syntax." - Historical Novels Review

Quote Originally Posted by triceretops View Post
    There's a year between those two posts?

Tri
    Caught that when I went back and looked more carefully. Thanks!

I don't often see forums where there can be a year between two posts, and I guess I need to be more observant!

Quote Originally Posted by funidream View Post
    I started this thread when I was in the middle of trying to decide between the three agents who had offered on my manuscript back in August of 2006 - you know - just trying to gather as much info as I could.
    Three agents offering at the same time? Oh, Lord, throw me in THAT briar patch!

I did decide to sign with Nancy, based mostly on several great phone conversations (we just clicked) plus the fact that she knew my story inside and out and had a definite vision for how she saw the fitting into the marketplace, and a plan to develop my writing career.

And she sure came through, got me a 2-book deal with a phenomenal editor at Berkley - Jackie Cantor - the second book sold based on a synopsis I cobbled together at the eleventh hour.

She is really dedicated to her clients, and as a result, kind of slow-pokey when it comes to response time on requested material. It took two months to hear back on my full.

I know right now she has been busy with income tax paperwork - 1099s and such, so maybe she's even more behind. I'd advise you sit tight. (hard, I know!)

Good Luck!
    Thanks for your encouraging comments! She does sound like a good agent.

practical experience, FTW Hopcus's Avatar
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if she does a fair amount of YA?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Hi Hopcus,
    I can't say whether she does a fair amount of YA, but I queried her based on her agentquery profile and past sales (which included an older YA novel). She requested the full of my YA manuscript. Now comes the wonderful wait....

Hope that helps.

Thanks. I'm in the waiting zone too and just wanted an idea of whether or not YA was her 'thing'.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Good luck!! And please let me know if you learn/hear anything....I'll do the same.

I'll keep you posted.

Page 1 of 37 12345671126 ... LastLast