Status
Not open for further replies.

Afinerosesheis

The One and Only Romantiac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Yes it is, and come to find out it centered all around the Bruckheimer woman. :( Lucky me was seated directly behind her. I didn't have a chance.

Funny thing is, when I got home and checked her reviews they were somewhat less than flattering. But she has a name (AND a cheaper book), That is the way it works I suppose.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Yes it is, and come to find out it centered all around the Bruckheimer woman. :( Lucky me was seated directly behind her. I didn't have a chance.

Funny thing is, when I got home and checked her reviews they were somewhat less than flattering. But she has a name (AND a cheaper book), That is the way it works I suppose.

if you mean - she had an editor, a publisher willing to put money behind the book and a decent pricing scheme... yep, that's how it works.

it's sad to think that there are so many PA books that could be darned good reads if they weren't unedited, overpriced tomes that will never see the inside of a bookstore.

such a shame.

Afinerosesheis

The One and Only Romantiac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
if you mean - she had an editor, a publisher willing to put money behind the book and a decent pricing scheme... yep, that's how it works.

it's sad to think that there are so many PA books that could be darned good reads if they weren't unedited, overpriced tomes that will never see the inside of a bookstore.

such a shame.
You are obviously a woman of great wisdom and while I appreciate your replies to my posts, you need not waste the lectures on me. I am well aware of my circumstances. :)

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
You are obviously a woman of great wisdom and while I appreciate your replies to my posts, you need not waste the lectures on me. I am well aware of my circumstances. :)

sorry, but it's *not* all about you.

there are plenty of would-be PA victims who visit here and find this thread - and it bears repeating over and over again the truth about PA.

if it saves ONE person from falling into the trap, it's worth it. We've already had some authors post that they avoided submitting their work to PA because of this thread.

as Uncle Jim pointed out previously - it's not the PA authors we're trying to inform - it's those who are about to fall into the Stooges' clutches that we're trying to get to.

BlueBadger

Knows notebooks can kill.
Registered
Reaction score

Some Publish America authors have remarkable life stories. If they worked to improve their writing instead of stopping the train at PA, I have no doubt many of them would produce something really worth reading.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Snipped...

As for the remark about sympathy, nowhere have I requested it. I requested a factual posting. My trial is in the past. The case is closed, and I wasn't convicted of a felony.

...Snipped.

Who said anything about sympathy? I simply wanted people to follow the rules here. What you think is your business, but when we come here, we're expected to follow certain rules. One is to respect your fellow writer.

If that fellow writer is you, so be it.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
funny thing is:

Funny thing is, when I got home and checked her reviews they were somewhat less than flattering.

An honest review will have both the good and the bad in them. I've had 5 star reviews on Amazon that produced nothing. I got a 4 star review from Ed Williams that mentioned some weak points. It helped sales.

I had a review on a blog recently that mentioned several areas where I could improve, but gave a good overall review. Sales did well for a few days afterward.

No matter what, the honest review is the best review. People know when someone is just blowing smoke.

Even if I had no other sales from the reviews, I learned something that will make my next stories better.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Sales for some of my books have been terrific every time there's a bad review. I take it in stride. If bad reviews are what sell books, bring 'em on. I'll figure out a way to make it to the bank without tripping and losing the money in the street. ;)

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Personally, I think MNP is feeling the pressure and loneliness now that Alice and Vic are both ahead of her in the hierarchy at PA. That's got to hurt after all the loyal years MNP has put in for PA

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Some Publish America authors have remarkable life stories. If they worked to improve their writing instead of stopping the train at PA, I have no doubt many of them would produce something really worth reading.
Maybe many of them have.

How many PA books, out of the, what, 20,000?, have folks here actually read? I have read one that was superb (Dhow of the Monsoon), have in my vast reading pile another that I am confident is excellent (Wednesday Night "Mom") because I have known the author as a serious writer for a long time and a quick scan of her book was promising, and have one other for which I cannot get through page 1 on account of the wooden prose and stilted dialogue (that author's trademark, apparently; I'll not list the title of that one). Another of which I am aware is drawing raves from local booksellers (apparently it had great potential, but for whatever reason the author let PA get it; not sure of the title off the top of my head). Who knows how many jewels might be found among the 20,000?

--Ken

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
There's no reason to assume that the PA slush pile's any different.

Actually, I believe there is.

A certain fraction of PA authors are there because they have been rejected by real publishers--some of them many times. Out of that group of manuscripts, a greater percentage are likely to be bad publishing choices. If they had been marketable, someone would have extended an offer.

That means the whole wagonload has more chaff and less grain than a normal mix.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
You wish me to reveal my methods? Very well.

First, as to Lloyd's observation, I doubt that's the case. Any slushpile you look in will have many, many manuscripts that have been rejected multiple times. Sometimes you'll find manuscripts that have been making the rounds for decades. So I believe that PA's slush is just typical slush. That means that around 1% of it is publishable.

But -- PA rejects books. Allegedly they only publish 20% of what they get. Now we know that a lot of those rejections are based on things like length or from being too hard to format, but I hope that they're also rejecting the books that are written by people who are functionally illiterate or actually insane.

That leaves these categories, which we are told make up 20% of the slush pile:

# It’s nice that the author is working on his/her problems, but the process would be better served by seeing a shrink than by writing novels.

# Nobody but the author is ever going to care about this dull, flaccid, underperforming book.

# The book has an engaging plot. Trouble is, it’s not the author’s, and everybody’s already seen that movie/read that book/collected that comic.

# Someone could publish this book, but we don’t see why it should be us.

# Author is talented, but has written the wrong book.

# It’s a good book, but the house isn’t going to get behind it, so if you buy it, it’ll just get lost in the shuffle.

# Buy this book.​

I think we can all recognize a lot of PA books in that list, from every one of the described categories.

If "Buy this book" makes up 1% of the raw slush, it makes up 5% of the slush after the bottom 80% is swept away.

5% of 20,000 is 1,000. Hence, my estimate that PA has 1,000 readable titles.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
there are plenty of would-be PA victims who visit here and find this thread - and it bears repeating over and over again the truth about PA.

if it saves ONE person from falling into the trap, it's worth it. We've already had some authors post that they avoided submitting their work to PA because of this thread.

as Uncle Jim pointed out previously - it's not the PA authors we're trying to inform - it's those who are about to fall into the Stooges' clutches that we're trying to get to.

That's one reason why guestbook notes to PA authors aren't allowed. People who are already on the inside of PA will often see it as harassment, and it just creates anger and bad feelings. We're letting them come to us, if they do, not traveling out and preaching to them. Who wants to be preached at?

But those who are not yet signed up can benefit by the large cache of information here, and repeating ourselves doesn't hurt that cause one bit. It just adds more weight to that side of the argument by showing how many people here agree on all these points.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Another reason for repeating ourselves: We've seen comments to the effect of "I saw the negative information about PA but it was all from two years ago and I figured that they must have changed since then."

That's why we need the information to be dated, well, today.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Another reason for repeating ourselves: We've seen comments to the effect of "I saw the negative information about PA but it was all from two years ago and I figured that they must have changed since then."

That's why we need the information to be dated, well, today.

A very good point. I've seen that argument made too many times by people who signed with PA. Even if the info was a couple of years old (which it isn't) it would still be a huge red flag. But some people need to know that the red flags are sprouting in PA-land to this day. It helps them avoid that pitfall.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
From http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=21303

our job as an author is to Market ... JK Rowling ... one of the best known authors in the world ... STILL has to market her books .... they call them 'PUBLICITY TOURS' but it is nothing more than marketing!!!...and she hates it!! ... so why does she do it?? to sell books! and as far as having an over supply of books .. Judge Judy told a TV reporter one day that in her garage sits box after box of her books that never sold ...

Anyone care to address this one?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
:ROFL:

No, honey, your job as an author is to write. Everything else is appreciated, not required. And I know Jo hates her appearances, which is why she doesn't do that many. And when you've sold MILLIONS of copies before the book even hits the shelf, there's not much of that that's needed, except to sell tickets to things like Harry, Carrie and Garp. Which I think was for charity?

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
First, re: Judge Judy. I expect that one or another edition of one of her books went out of print and she was offered the chance to buy the warehouse stock at cost. So she did -- a garage full of books that never sold. Which she can sell from the back of the hall when she appears as a speaker somewhere.

Next, re: J. K. Rowling. She doesn't have to make appearances to sell her books, her books are selling so she has to make appearances. Publishers market their books. You knew that, right? And they use every tool at their disposal. So when my publisher arranged a radio interview on NPR last December, guess what! I did it.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Yanno, JK Rowling has never visited my local B&N or Borders - but I'd bet my meft eye that the newest HP will fly outta there come July...

Actually, the only authors I've ever met have been the ones in my local RWA chapter - two were at a booksigning in Brentanos (since gone <sigh>) and the others were at chapter meetings. And I have a ton of books. One of my favorites, Johanna Lindsey, is a one who never goes on book tours - she's famously reclusive - yet I have everything she's ever written.

Status
Not open for further replies.