PAMB and its quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
It's not plagiarism to copy a short passage for a review, and this could've been considered a review.

If the source had been given, yes, it could have been considered a legitimate review. But he submitted the published work of an author he had no legal rights to and here's the kicker; by not identifying the work as the work of another author, committed fraud.

Now that he has a name and a paper trail to follow, his chances of a happy career in writing is limited. It will be brought up to haunt him again and again.

I wonder if Vic will send him a letter now? :D

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Well, guess what? It got panned with some stupid useless criticism.

As it happens, I've read that thread.

He's lying. The excerpts didn't get panned. A couple of people suggested minor sentence-twiddles. Given how brief the excerpts were, that's about all anyone could do with them.

That people might suggest rearranging some sentences isn't surprising. I'm sure I'd suggest that the author might cast some sentences in different ways. I'm sure that author might suggest I cast some of my sentences in different ways. Heck, I cast some of my own sentences in different ways. Sometimes I change 'em back in the next re-write.

As abominationerupts (his name here) said in the now-deleted thread, "I'm forced to admit a little deceit here." That is to say, his intent was to deceive. He was successful: he deceived people.

The person he's deceived most, however, is himself.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Everyone - every.one. - who wants to be a writer who wants to be read by the public needs to have their work looked at by other writers and critiqued. To not means you don't have the cojones to be in this business, because you have no desire to learn and grown in your craft. Reviewers pan books all the time. Readers pan books too. Not everyone is going to love everything they read.

Writers who write for personal pleasure, who don't want to be widely read, that's fine too. I'm not talking about them.

And posting other people's work without citing the source is considered a violation of copyright, and therefore illegal Don't act like a child if you don't want to be treated like one.

Last edited:

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
He'll figure it out when the first publisher responds with a rejection letter stating: "We can't be sure this is your own original work."

The difference between Atlanta Nights and Crack of doom when compared to his post: all original work.

Frankly, PA and their authors should be leery.

Last edited:

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think PA has so many people submitting to them, new and old PA'ers...that they ran out of time to take them all on. New authors are more so considered and old PA'ers who shelled out for over the 50 to 100 books. Members with money to burn, credit cards, and a full list of around 100 family members who will go out to buy a book right off the bat are also first considered.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I love the jealousy thing. I'm so jealous that I'm on my way to my second book, and my series is being looked at by three small publishers, each with a fabulous reputation(meaning either they've gotten books on shelves, are known in the industry, and/or have had books reviewed by trades), and has had pages requested by one of the top agents in my genre. (sorry for the bragging)

Yeah, can't you see how green I am. Sheesh.

Now totally unsuccessful and seeking the matched misery of others, they simply play in their pity-pot and never move on. How sad is that?

This one's just a bloody riot. See above.

Last edited:

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.chippewapublishing.com
I have a publisher too who will be editing my book, designing cover art and placing on in Barnes and Nobles all over the country with no effort from me! Pleeeeeeease PA take me, I beggeth theeeeeeee!

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Thank you! :)

I wasn't trying to disrespect anyone - but I find it fascinating that it always becomes an "us against them" mentality. And then I wonder why no one seems to question that there aren't sites warning people about - say - Avon, or Random House. Wouldn't that in itself make you stop and think why there are boards like this, and the warnings on P&E and about a million websites that warn away from PA? If not, that seems a bit illogical to me. That was my point.

Anyway, I apologize if it seemed disrespectful. I was merely curious.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody notice that thread went 'bye-bye'?

Maybe his fun here and that Mark Twain post hits too close to home.

Last edited:

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Thank you! :)

I wasn't trying to disrespect anyone - but I find it fascinating that it always becomes an "us against them" mentality. And then I wonder why no one seems to question that there aren't sites warning people about - say - Avon, or Random House. Wouldn't that in itself make you stop and think why there are boards like this, and the warnings on P&E and about a million websites that warn away from PA? If not, that seems a bit illogical to me. That was my point.

Anyway, I apologize if it seemed disrespectful. I was merely curious.

You weren't disrespectful.

I was one of three Lloyd quoted in his post. I have since edited my post to remove the one word of disrespect and replaced it with "person".;)

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Did you have to grit your teeth? :)

Seriously, it is almost amazing how fast those posts get yanked. I blogged about one a few days ago and it was about 2 hours between the time I noticed it and when I went back to double check something. Gone. I was surprised it lasted that long. Too bad - it seemed like someone was finally beginning to wonder...

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
True, JG. But it's just like this post:

I'm approaching the magic 500 books sold mark in less than a year. So I'm pleasantly surprised and feel blessed by the response.

Most main line publishers set that abitrary 500 mark as a baseline for first releases. Book offers for second books come easier if you can get over the 500 hump.

This might apply to PA, but I don't know if other publishers feel that way. I would think 500 units is a tiny figure for most publishers, isn't it?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm approaching the magic 500 books sold mark in less than a year. So I'm pleasantly surprised and feel blessed by the response.

Most main line publishers set that abitrary 500 mark as a baseline for first releases. Book offers for second books come easier if you can get over the 500 hump.

Funny. Somebody on my LiveJournal friends list had his first YA novel go to a second printing. After the first 20,000 sold out. All this from a non-PA publisher. And he's had a total of eight (I believe) books published. By a non-PA publisher. With numbers like that, he must be doing something wrong if his publisher can't follow the PA business model.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Did you have to grit your teeth? :)

No, it was beneath me to call him the name I did. I'm glad Lloyd pointed it out.

In retrospect, I feel sorry for the guy. He so wants to be acknowledged that he is willing to write his own book critique and call himself the "modern day Mark Twain". It's really quite sad. He's the type of person PA so easily preys upon.

Last edited:

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.chippewapublishing.com
Sheesh, my first print run is going to be 1,000 copies and this is from a small press. 1,000 copies without me printing bookmarks, selling to my friends or begging bookstores to stock me.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
In retrospect, I feel sorry for the guy. He so wants to be acknowledged that he is willing to write his own book critique and call himself the "modern day Mark Twain". It's really quite sad. He's the type of person PA so easily preys upon.

That's what's also so frustrating. And aggravating. Unfortunately, no one there wants to point out that the emperor's really naked. At least not at first. By the time it happens, they've already been taken. I guess it's a good thing in the end, but I can't imagine how it must feel. It's like telemarketers who target lonely elderly people who are so desperate for someone to talk to that they'll buy anything.

Too sad, really.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Most main line publishers set that abitrary 500 mark as a baseline for first releases.

Multiply that by about ten. Or more.

And then I wonder why no one seems to question that there aren't sites warning people about - say - Avon, or Random House.

That's because of the Conspiracy. Didn't you know? Avon and Random House are in an agony of worry over the hordes of PA authors who're on the verge of darfing them. Any day now: Darf! I mean it, those main-line publishers are going to be so darfed! That's why they have to keep PA down. Because if they don't fight like fury, they're going to get put out of business by PA's innovative and cutting edge wave-of-the-future vanity publishing scheme.

Last edited:

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
As abominationerupts (his name here) said in the now-deleted thread, "I'm forced to admit a little deceit here." That is to say, his intent was to deceive. He was successful: he deceived people.

The person he's deceived most, however, is himself.

I always knew that if he held to his unteachable ways, Mr. Enigma would one day step on his johnson. And so he has, in a major public way. Well done, kid. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.