Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Janklow & Nesbit Associates

I bite. Taco look-a-likes beware. Empress Awesome's Avatar
    Over there! Can't you see my canoe house?
    Alexandra Machinist transferred here from Linda Chester Literary Agency. Quoted from Twitter: "If you sent me a query in March I did not receive it. Please re-send to amachinist@janklow.com. Can't wait to read them!"
    Bloggius Maximus
    Tweety Tweet!

"The only thing we have to fear are the cricket-spiders infesting the garage (just wait till it happens to you)." --FDR (but not really)

Egregious Acts of Innocence= Thriller/Horror/Contemporary= wip, 22k so far, first draft, giving me an ulcer

practical experience, FTW
    Equeried Alexandra Machinist on 3rd April. Request for a full received 15th April.

Ms Machinist apologised for the delay in getting back to me due to the London Book Fair, but I think her response time was excellent. Good luck to anyone else who has queried this very friendly agent!

for certain qualities of "sane" tarak's Avatar
    Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
    Congrats, Samara! When you queried, did you past pages in the email, or did you just send the query?

Quote Originally Posted by tarak View Post
    Congrats, Samara! When you queried, did you past pages in the email, or did you just send the query?
    I pasted in my first chapter (about ten pages). I couldn't find any updated submission requirements for Ms Machinist, so I went with the guidelines from her old agency, Linda Chester Associates.

Hope this helps!

for certain qualities of "sane" tarak's Avatar
    Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
    It does, Samara. Thanks! I usually add pages unless the agent specifically states not to, but I was also coming up empty on submission guidelines.

practical experience, FTW MysteryScribe's Avatar
    EQ sent to Ms. Machinist on 4/4/11 Full Request received tonight! Good luck to everyone!!

YA
    Represented by Barbara Poelle of Irene Goodman Literary Agency.

STALKING JACK THE RIPPER, a YA Gothic Horror, is coming September 20, 2016 from JIMMY Patterson Books/Little, Brown

http://kerrimaniscalco.com/2015/10/2...e-a-book-deal/
    Let's be interwebz friends:

Blog
    Twitter

I can hear the ocean calling...
    Has anyone queried Julie Just? And is anyone else having trouble with their website (as in, it doesn't have any links at all) or is it just my browser giving me trouble?

Something clever here BethanyCM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emrys View Post
    Has anyone queried Julie Just? And is anyone else having trouble with their website (as in, it doesn't have any links at all) or is it just my browser giving me trouble?
    There's nothing wrong with your browser; their website doesn't have many links (aside from Foreign Agents or something).
    Bethany C. Morrow
    author of MEM: A novel (Unnamed Press, May 2018)
    Rep'd by Victoria Marini, IGLA
    P
    re-order MEM!!

All I know is that the Janklow & Nesbit website has to be one of the worst-designed I've ever seen. Is anyone lelse able to get information other than dancing book covers, and if so, how?

Sorry Filigree, I've tried Firefox, Safari, & IE and no luck.

Something clever here BethanyCM's Avatar
    It's only the worst design if their goal was to encourage queries. From their titles, I can't say it was.
    Bethany C. Morrow
    author of MEM: A novel (Unnamed Press, May 2018)
    Rep'd by Victoria Marini, IGLA
    P
    re-order MEM!!

Quote Originally Posted by BethanyCM View Post
    It's only the worst design if their goal was to encourage queries. From their titles, I can't say it was.
    that is true.

commaholic and adverb junkie EagerReader's Avatar
    Glad to see it's not just me!

Nor me. When I see websites like that, I can only feel that I'm being asked to jump through hoops for simple contact information. All I want to do is get a feel for the agency and what it represents. This website essentially says: 'If you don't already know us or have a subscription to PW, we don't even want to hear from you.' I'll trundle off and do the research, but I'm doubtful I'll send them anything.

Queried YA half-contemporary half-dystopic sci-fi with first chapter 5/6/11.

Request for full 5/11/11.

She's the agent for one of my favorite new authors, Christopher Farnsworth, so getting this far is absolutely amazing. I hope she likes the whole novel.

Hi all!

I was checking out the ABNA results on the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award page, and I noticed that one of the judges is Julie Just, a new agent with Janklow & Nesbit. Per the info on the ABNA page, she specializes in children's and YA. I'm not sure about specific preferences (the J & N website is a bit difficult to navigate ) but I wanted to pass on the info.

Okay so I checked out Julie Just - on AgentQuery (link: http://agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=1168)

And it says there that:

• Her specialty is children's literature -- illustrated books, middle grade, young adult and graphic novels, with a particular interest in literary fiction, adventure, mystery, fantasy, and romance.
    • Selectively, she is also interested in humor and adult fiction and nonfiction.

So my novel is totally literary fiction but for adults but I thought - what the heck - "selectively" maybe she will be interested.

So I queried her a few hours ago and she replied saying:

"This sounds interesting; I'll get back to you as soon as I can."

What does that mean? I sent a query and ten sample pages pasted in the email. Is this a form response? She didn't say no but she didn't ask for sample pages either.

What does this mean?

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar
    Bunderful, it sounds like she read your query, liked it and will now proceed to read your 10 pages. It was a nice response! Good luck!
    DRAGONFLY NIGHTMARE: YA Romantic Suspense - Available Now!
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Suspense - (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

Definitely sounds promising, bunderful. Good luck!

figuring it all out scarlett9284's Avatar
    Submitted to Alexandra Machinist through WeBook back in September. She sent me an email earlier this month apologizing because she had forgotten that she had made an account there and if the MS was still available, she would love to see it. It is, I sent it, and have started the nail biting stage.

Does Ms. Machinist usually take over a month to respond to a full request? I have never queried her before I don't know the average response time. I'm not concerned at all but if this is longer than usual I might consider sending a reminder in another week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by rebelcheese View Post
    Does Ms. Machinist usually take over a month to respond to a full request? I have never queried her before I don't know the average response time. I'm not concerned at all but if this is longer than usual I might consider sending a reminder in another week or so.
    Agent response times for requested material depends on a lot of variables. Conferences, vacations, client work, etc. Usually the appropriate time for nudging is after the three month mark. Good luck with your full, hopefully you'll hear some good news before then!!!

STALKING JACK THE RIPPER, a YA Gothic Horror, is coming September 20, 2016 from JIMMY Patterson Books/Little, Brown

Blog
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryScribe View Post
    Agent response times for requested material depends on a lot of variables. Conferences, vacations, client work, etc. Usually the appropriate time for nudging is after the three month mark. Good luck with your full, hopefully you'll hear some good news before then!!!
    Thank you for your advice, I won't nudge then. ^^ Since her Twitter hasn't updated in almost a month I have to assume she's incredibly busy.

Quote Originally Posted by rebelcheese View Post
    Thank you for your advice, I won't nudge then. ^^ Since her Twitter hasn't updated in almost a month I have to assume she's incredibly busy.
    Glad I could help Waiting is always SO darn tough!

Blog
    Twitter

Julie Just said no BTW - she really is looking more to building her young adult and middle grade list. So honored that she was even interested! Just thought to update you all. She was super-nice and responded really quickly and professionally. Seems like she would be a dream to work with...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast