AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Linda Roghaar Literary Agency

Procrastination is its own reward K1P1's Avatar

Linda Roghaar Literary Agency

Does anyone have any comments, good or bad, about Linda Roghaar?

I haven't found her discussed anywhere on AW. P&E has good rep for her, with a $. Agentresearch.com says she's definitely legit. She's a member of AAR. I've gotten references from two authors she's represented (one is still a client, the other recently parted ways with her).

I've looked at her list of authors and placed books (from her web site lindaroghaar.com), they look OK to me and listings for them on Amazon are consistent with her web site. Some, but not all, are from publishers I've heard of before.

She doesn't charge any fees up front. In fact, she says she rarely charges for any expenses at all now that everything is done by e-mail. Her commission rates are consistent with the other agents I've talked to and those I've seen quoted here (15% for domestic/20% foreign).

So, since I only started educating myself about agents about a week ago, is there anything I've missed?

Sounds solid to me. You might want to wander around your local B&N or Borders to see whether any of the books she's repped are on the shelves and maybe get hold of a copy and see if they're a good match for you.

Other than that, all the right boxes seem to be ticked with this one.
    Last edited by Cath; 08-15-2006 at 07:03 AM.
    Cath
    www.cathsmithphotography.com

"It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people."
    from 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

"Many and various, strange and multitudinous are the friends that befriend me in this world, yet I never found one false or that did not surpass me in some virtue."
    Wilfred Owen in a letter home.

I guess I didn't make it clear - she's placed a number of books in my field. She knows the market place, but the authors she has are not in direct competition with me--they do different sorts of knitting books than I do (they are more essays, mine are more reference/technique). Several of the things I like about her though: she personally is an accomplished knitter (so I don't have to explain the book concepts to her); she was already familiar with my first book and keeping an eye on it; she also sells completely different types of books, so if I want to move into another non-fiction area, fiction, mystery or essays, she's still got a good chance of selling my books.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    http://www.lindaroghaar.com/index.html

A solid agent with a passion for your niche topic = a rare find indeed. Best of luck!
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Linda Roghaar is local to me--Amherst, MA--and I've seen her knitting books in local stores.

- Victoria

And now, back to Plodding! Duncan J Macdonald's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss
    Linda Roghaar is local to me--Amherst, MA--and I've seen her knitting books in local stores.
    Those must be interesting needles. What kind of yarn does she use?

DAR--RRF
    R/
    Hamster #164

Just a quick update. I signed with Linda Roghaar and she has negotiated a nice deal with my publisher. Double the advance they offered for a shorter book, a progressive royalty structure so I get a higher percent as more copies sell, and, best of all, a second book on the same terms.

I met her in person when I was in Massachusetts last week. She visited the publisher while I was meeting with my editor and joined in a meeting with the marketing and sales people. She obviously has a good working relationship with the publisher and she gave me some excellent advice on working with their publicity people. She also met with me individually on Sunday night so we could speak privately and just discussing my work with her has helped me to see what goals I can reasonably set for myself in my writing carreer over the next few years.

I am very, very happy that I found Linda and she was willing to work with me.

The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    That is wonderful news. It made my Saturday morning! Best of luck!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin spywriter's Avatar

congrates

A hearty congratulations to you! I wish I were as lucky...i got a rejection today!!!!

May you go one to sell millions and get a movie deal too. Just don't forget us little people at AW as you jet off to Hollywood!

-spy

PS: What is the name of your book?

Quote Originally Posted by spywriter
    PS: What is the name of your book?
    My first book, released Fall 2005, is The Knitting Answer Book. I'm currently working on another knitting technique book, which shall remain a secret for the time being.

Thanks for everyone's good wishes.

ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Two things: be careful using the words "nice deal" since in publishing they tehcnically mean up to $49,999.

Also, a progressive royalty rate is standard. I've published 18 books with major and boutique publishers and that's always been the case.

he has negotiated a nice deal with my publisher. Double the advance they offered for a shorter book, a progressive royalty structure so I get a higher percent as more copies sell, and, best of all, a second book on the same terms.

Revamped her site in '15, but sales activity after '12 has been sparse.
    ICAO
    ---------