Agents Asking For Writing CV

Status
Not open for further replies.

howiehok

Registered
Reaction score
I have just finished my first novel, and am busy sending off to agents. However, a sizeable minority of them ask for me to include my writing CV. If this is the first book I have ever written, and my previous writing experience amounts to writing for a football fanzine and some news reporting in my student days, what should I include?

Why would they want to see that anyway? It doesn't alter the quality of the novel!

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Howie,

If you've just finished, I wonder if you're sure you are ready to submit. Another post concerned your thinking of changing the POV in some chapters. Just curious.

Re your CV question, you'll get some helpful information on that aspect direct from an Agent's mouth in this very recent thread.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36460

It may not alter the quality of the novel, but if you have worthwhile writing or other qualifications relevant to the novel it may whet the appetite a tad if they are mentioned briefly.

Good luck.

Karmanaut

I don't think you'd do yourself any harm by metioning the fanzine and the news reporting. Don't worry if you don't have a huge list of credentials. The work you submit to the agent is the most important thing.

howiehok

Registered
Reaction score
If you've just finished, I wonder if you're sure you are ready to submit. Another post concerned your thinking of changing the POV in some chapters. Just curious.

Hi, yes, am ready to submit. Could edit for the rest of my life, but a line has to be drawn. Am happy with it, really happy, for first time, and ditched idea of changing POV, it would not have worked.

Thanks you two for your input.

howiehok

Registered
Reaction score
sorry, I forget this is not just a British site, or that CVs are not called the same the world over! Basically my previous use of CVs has solely been for job applications, and has included qualifications, hobbies, personal details etc. Would not know where to start on a writing CV/resume.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Berry said:
CV stands for "curriculum vitae" and is the term used in Europe for what we in the USA call a "resume".

The term is reasonably common in the United States as well - I've been familiar with it since my college years in the late 70's, early 80's. Depending on where you live (in the US) and the type of position you may be seeking, many employers ask for a Curriculum vitae by that name rather than a resume!

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a Query letter, it's not the same as an employment application CV. In essence it's simply - please include a final paragraph or couple of lines in your Query letter to show any writing credits or experience you have. Be brief. If, like many first-timers, you don't have any, don't say you haven't any or apologise they're so small and insignificant -just remain silent.

howiehok said:
sorry, I forget this is not just a British site, or that CVs are not called the same the world over! Basically my previous use of CVs has solely been for job applications, and has included qualifications, hobbies, personal details etc. Would not know where to start on a writing CV/resume.

Last edited:

NYR94

BAsed on everything I've read on query's, you should list any writing credits you have. For fiction, list any magazines, e-books, novels, etc. that show your work has been judged and accepted by other editors. For non-fiction, you should list any publishing credit to show you indeed are writing with some air of authority and expertise on the subject of your novel. In Stephen King's On Writing, he says a fiction author shouldn't submit anything until they have at least six or seven published credits under their belts.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
NYR94 said:
a fiction author shouldn't submit anything until they have at least six or seven published credits under their belts.
Um, isn't that a bit of a catch 22? How can you wait to submit anything until you get some published credits when you don't have any published credits?

I'm guessing you mean that writers should try to get published in other markets than long fiction. But what markets are those? Short fiction in literary magazines, personal essays in mainstream magazines, letters to the editor? What, exactly, constitutes a credit? I've had journalistic articles pubbed in the local daily newspaper, letters to the editor, and I won one short fiction contest (that did NOT come with publication). Which of those constitutes a viable credit when I submit a novel ms?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On what page does he say that?

Granted, if you're lucky enough to have them, use them - they give you a degree of proven credibility, but If the story, characters and writing are good enough, it doesn't matter a hoot if you've publishing credits or not.

NYR94 said:
In Stephen King's On Writing, he says a fiction author shouldn't submit anything until they have at least six or seven published credits under their belts.

Last edited:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
In the fiction markets, when subbing a novel, it does help to list any short story magazine fiction credits you have. It helps additionally if your agent/editor has HEARD or recognizes such publications, but it does not go against you for listing the smaller press pubs. I write SF, and when I subbed my queries/partials/fulls, I included a brief paragraph of magazine sales, starting with the most prominent and ending with the smaller print zines. Amazing Stories, Space and Time, Not ONe of Us, were three that would catch an eye because they've been around for a very long time. I generalized the rest of the sales and did not get overly specfic about dates, editor, vol. # and pay rate. (not necessary unless you want to itemize it)

When you do have short fiction credits, that are at least recognizible, you are seen as a "known quantity", which simply means you're out there in print--and someone has paid you for your writing.

Now, if you have none--not to worry at all. Remember that good story writing trumps all. Having no credits does not exclude you from the pack by any means. All are treated equal in the pile. Credits might be a plus, but I've never, ever seen it sway a decision against another writer. (Unless its multiple novel sales from a big house). So what does that tell you?

Tri

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Credits

Almost any credit is probably better than no credit, but when an agents asks for credits they usually want you to know whether you've ever been paid for writing fiction.

A good short story credit or two, meaning short stories in magazines the agent has heard of, or that are important in the field, tells the agent you can write fiction well enough to beat out some stiff competition, and well enough to make an editor part with some money.

Winning, or placing high, in a respectable contest does the same thing.

It tells the agent you know how to write fiction, you have a grasp of grammar, punctuation, story structure, characterization, dialogue, etc.

It means the agent is taking less of a chance in requestion a partial or full manuscript.

In the end, the novel you write must speak for itself, but having credits can mean a much betetr chance that the agent will actually ask to see the novel, and that it won't be read first by a junior bottle washer who may reject it before the agent ever sees it.

It is easier to get your novel in teh hands of a top agent or editor if you have some solid credits, but writers with no credits manage to sell novels each and every year. Good credits merely make it easier to get read by a top agent or editor. Good credits won't sell a bad novel, and lack of credits won't stop a good novel.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Jamesaritchie said:
Almost any credit is probably better than no credit, but when an agents asks for credits they usually want you to know whether you've ever been paid for writing fiction.
QUOTE]

When I had no credits, I didn't use cover letters for fiction. After I had a few credits, I included them in a brief cover letter. Now I include the ones that are pertinent to the market I am submitting because after twenty plus years, it would be redundant to list them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.