List of Agent Blogs

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
wow, I love color and that certainly is color on her blogspot. ;)

Thanks for the site. I don't think she'd be interested in what I write anyway.

Cheers :)

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I can't comment because I've never been to the blog in question. I just couldn't bear to read the comments of somebody who writes under the name of Miss Snark. So I definitely have no idea whether what she says is helpful or not.

victoriastrauss said:
Another thing that bugs me is the attitude. There seems to be a whole blog subculture devoted to telling new writers that they probably suck and will never make it, and by the way, they're also incredibly annoying and too dumb to live. Well, yeah. But what purpose does that kind of bashing serve, other than to establish your street cred as a rough, tough, shoot-from-the-hip-and-pull-no-punches publishing guru who takes no shit from nobody?

- Victoria

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I thought Victoria was talking about The Rejecter, not Miss Snark.

Miss Snark doesn't tell new writers they suck. In fact, she read nearly seven hundred hooks over the course of few weeks--for free--just to help writers learn what is and is not a properly done hook.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
You have to take the name Miss Snark with a grain of salt. She's the best!
Look for a heart of gold beneath that wolf's disguise.

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
No, I wasn't talking about Miss Snark, or really even about the Rejecter, who often gives helpful advice, but about the many blogs (SammyK's included, and the late unlamented Pitch Bitch is another example) that have a new writer hate-on going. This includes not just agent blogs, but the blogs of some well-known writers, who are so concerned to tell newbies "the truth" about publishing that they forget that those they are addressing are not all fools and losers.

Miss Snark is the original--the one that all the faux-snarkish bloggers try to imitate--and while she's snarky and doesn't tolerate nitwits, there is no gratuitous meanness, and she has repeatedly shown her generosity with the Crapometer and other stuff--and she definitely knows the industry. Her advice is solid. Plus, it's clear she loves books and writing. With some of the other snarkers, that's not so evident.

- Victoria

inanna

Queen of Typos
Registered
Reaction score
Just FYI--Agent 007 has deleted her blog. Shame. I wish she'd left it up, even if she didn't want to blog anymore--there was some good stuff in there.

It looks like at least some of the old blog posts are accessible if you use Wayback - just not the comments.

ETA: nope, comments too, as long as they're part of the body of the post.

I don't know about other browsers, but Firefox users who don't have Wayback can install it using this link.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Just reading Lori Perkins' blog I see that one of her big dreams is "A Latin Gone With The Wind".

Latin Gone with the Wind means a novel set in one of the Latin and South American countries or the Caribbean where the paternalistic society crumbles leaving the plucky female protagonist to figure out the new world and rules. I keep on getting novels about some guy who swims across the Rio Grande. That's not what I want.

That's EXACTLY how I would describe my second-to-last novel, the one I couldn't sell for the life of me, set in Guyana, about the struggle for Independence and the crumbling sugar industry. I can't believe it: she has given me exactly the slogan I need forholding on to it for the right time, and I've got an agent, but thanks Lori for this logline - it's perfect!

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
I've just updated the list again -- thanks for the new links/information, everyone. :)

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Wasn't sure where to put this one. It's not an agent, but it is a blog by the CEO of a Christian publishing company.

http://www.michaelhyatt.com/fromwhereisit/

A lot of his entries are business oriented, but there have also been some specifically on the publishing industry--and he takes questions.

RJ_Anderson

Pro F&SF Author for ages 10+
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rj-anderson.com
Just FTR, Nancy -- the person listed as "Matt Wagner" in the main agent list is actually Rich Wagner, not Matt. I got all excited there a moment wondering if one of my favorite comic writer/artists had made the jump to agenting. :D

Thanks for compiling the list!

Loretta

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a mixed bag. I don't like the demeaning remarks either by some of the agents, BUT it's great having this to refer to...it gives you a better perspective of who you'd like to submit something to and what to anticipate.

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
Just FTR, Nancy -- the person listed as "Matt Wagner" in the main agent list is actually Rich Wagner, not Matt. I got all excited there a moment wondering if one of my favorite comic writer/artists had made the jump to agenting. :D

Um... the main page of the site says: "Matt Wagner, president, founder, and literary agent, founded Fresh Books in January of 2005, after working with his previous agency for almost 16 years."

JaidaJones

Needs a spicy avatar - PM submissions to Mac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ladyjaida.livejournal.com
Just browsed this list (and hooray for more blogs to read I hadn't yet known about) but I don't think I saw this one mentioned anywhere: http://callmyagent.blogspot.com/ An informative, fun read. From the "About Me" section: "Call My Agent! is a blog written by Agent Sydney, an Australian literary agent. Call My Agent! hopes to shed light on the sometimes shadow-shrouded world of publishing in order to help writers work out how the hell they get published."

Last edited:

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another one.

Janet Reid of Imprint has a blog I like. http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/ It's got some good information, and she makes it very clear what she's looking for in submissions (right down to how many times to tab down between chapters when formatting a ms).

She writes a lovely rejection, as well! :D