AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publicist] Danie Cortese Entertainment

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Question [Publicist] Danie Cortese Entertainment

Does anyone know anything about this agency? They have not broached "fees," but it is my understanding via research on the 'Net elsewhere that they are a fee-charging agency. ?????

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Yes, they are a fee charger. They want a "publicity and management fee" of $53.50 per month, a $53.50 "float" to cover postage, and a one-time "consulting fee" of $107.00.

- Victoria

Are they a legit player?

Do they have bona fide industry contacts and are they successful at
    selling and representing writers/talent?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron239
    Do they have bona fide industry contacts and are they successful at
    selling and representing writers/talent?
    Do they need to sell anything, with the fees they're charging?

I can't speak to their talent representation, but as far as I can discover they've never sold a book.

- Victoria

Angry Sure enuf, they put the bite on

Sure enough, they tried to put the bite on me. Needless to say I declined.
    I wish they had been up front about this, and ditto with respect to their website, which doesn't mention fees of any kind.

Danie Cortese

Any information on her and her agency/management firm/publicity firm?

First, hi!

Google turns up these links to what is presumably her home page and a mirror or old link, assuming she's "Danie Cortese Entertainment Inc."?

http://www.daniecortese.com/
    http://dejablues.homestead.com/

If that is her homepage, there are many red flags just jumping right out.

Also:

http://www.easybackgroundcheck.com/daniecortese.html

Preditors and Editors has a "not recommended" and "charges fees".
    Nothing I can find on AAR.
    #

Nothing’s inherently wrong with telling; nothing’s inherently wrong with showing. . . .
    When Picasso paints a canvas using only blue, you can still tell that he knows what he’s doing with color. When I paint a canvas using only blue, you will be quite certain from the result that it’s because I have no clue what to do with red or yellow—and you won’t be too sure I’ve got a grip on blue, either. Learn all the colors; then choose whichever seems right at the moment. Master the whole craft. ~ Keith Snyder

Don't walk away from this one--Run! Fast as you can!. Anyone who can sit on their can and collect fifty bucks a month from you has no incentive to do anything else.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think I’m disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Quote Originally Posted by Ron239
    Sure enough, they tried to put the bite on me. Needless to say I declined.
    I wish they had been up front about this, and ditto with respect to their website, which doesn't mention fees of any kind.
    Thanks a lot to you and Victoria.

Soccer Mom, I agree but I wanted confirmation before I respond to her. I remember reading that agents collect only AFTER the script is sold and that's only 10%.

Soloset, thanks a lot for these links.

What red flags did you see?

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    FilmNoir3k,

Welcome to the boards! Just a gentle reminder to make sure you do a search for whatever you're looking for before starting a thread. The mods have been after us for a while to make sure thread proliferation is at a minimum.

I hope you find your time is worthwhile here at AW.

Would one of the mods please combine this thread with the other one? Thanks.

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

Red flags?

They're all over the site, from the typos to the "we'll take on any genre" mentality.

The big ones, of course, are the fees and the apparent lack of sales to publishing houses.

You can also find forum-spam for this company pretty easily with a google search. Not appetizing at all.

For the curious, I used the fairly distinctive titles of two of the company's forum posts in my google searches, from here and here.
    #

Nothing’s inherently wrong with telling; nothing’s inherently wrong with showing. . . .
    When Picasso paints a canvas using only blue, you can still tell that he knows what he’s doing with color. When I paint a canvas using only blue, you will be quite certain from the result that it’s because I have no clue what to do with red or yellow—and you won’t be too sure I’ve got a grip on blue, either. Learn all the colors; then choose whichever seems right at the moment. Master the whole craft. ~ Keith Snyder

Thanks again, solo. I appreciate it.

Danie Cortese Entertainment & Publicity Inc. is a 'publicity' firm. We are not an agency. Our primary business is publicity work for musicians. We have worked with many screenwriters/filmmakers in the past who have sought out my firm to promote their films to film festivals or their novels to the press. Fees are standard with any publicity work in this business. If have questions or concerns you should go directly to the 'home' source. You can view our credits here: http://www.daniecorteseent.com/credits3.html

Danie Cortese was operating as a (fee-charging) literary and talent agency as recently as 2006, based on documentation in my files.

I'm glad that's no longer the case.

- Victoria

The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    I ran the name through google and found a bit more information here and here.

~brianm~
    Last edited by brianm; 10-26-2010 at 01:51 AM.
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    In her FAQ section she states this.

DCE has been recognized as the leading "Trend Setter" in the business and is studied in music programs & universities all over North America.

Who recognised them and what universities? If this is true, then why not shout the who's and what's from the tallest building? Or at least put them on your website? Any one can claim to be anything they like, but I want to be able to double check facts.

A lot of smoke, imo.

~brianm~
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

Facts my dear friends

Cambridge Who's Who Member Danie Cortese, is a world-renowned leader of an entertainment revolution.
    http://www.cambridgepublicrelations.com/Danie-Cortese

Thanks for sharing your "press release". Still don't see how that in any way qualifies you as a publicist for anyone in the literary field.

And "Cambridge Who's Who" is nothing but a pay to play social networking site. It isn't affiliated with Cambridge University.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think I’m disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti