• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agent Listing] Agent Query / AgentQuery.com

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
I vaguely recall a posting -- a 'sticky,' perhaps -- that provided the URL for a site that allowed you to search for agents by specific genres they represent.

Was it all just a beautiful dream?

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
Just a note: there is nothing obscure about whilst. It isn't even an archaic useage. The fact is that is rarely used by AMERICANS doesn't mean the word is obscure. It means that Americans tend to be a bit gormless. :)

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Just a note: there is nothing obscure about whilst. It isn't even an archaic useage. The fact is that is rarely used by AMERICANS doesn't mean the word is obscure. It means that Americans tend to be a bit gormless. :)

:Wha:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
What?

Gormless?

How do you play?

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
Actually it sounds like Americans who don't know how to use whilst. :D

Edit: This has been a severe thread hijack. Someone should say something about Agent Query which is an excellent website.

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
Hold on whilst I look up the definition...

Ah, now I know the Brit definition of stupid. Whew, good to know in case I travelst acrost the pond onst of these days. Wouldn't want to appear clueless whilst there. *smile*

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir

Funny, I'm from N. Ireland and I can't remember the last time I heard someone use whilst. Nor do I find Americans to be gormless. Quite the opposite.

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
Ok, I'm pretty sure that sig is gonna go now. Now that I'm all self-conscious about it and everything. :poke:

But I can bring this back on topic, because indeed, if you register for AQ Connect . . . you can create a signature using "whilst," "gormless," and any other fun but underused word.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My brain must be really mushy this morning. Do you have a link to AQ Connect? Didn't see any mention of it at the Agent Query site.

Thanks.

~Nancy

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
*snerk* I've used "whilst" in business correspondence, using the reaction to determine who had a clue.

P.S.: I :heart: AgentQuery.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Whilst y'all were debating, I joined AQ Connect. It's, ummm, interesting.

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
"Whilst, though correct British English, is virtually obsolete in American English and reeks of pretension in the work of a modern American writer."
(Garner's Modern American Usage, OUP, p. 834)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whilst reading this thread, I began to ponder the opposite of gormless - gormful ?

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
Funny, I'm from N. Ireland and I can't remember the last time I heard someone use whilst. Nor do I find Americans to be gormless. Quite the opposite.
Being American, I feel quite free to call us gormless. It happens I know a Brits who occasionally say whilst and it isn't considered archaic. I agree that using it is a nice way to separate the gormless from those with gorm. :D

Sorry to make you self-conscious. I got a chuckle out of it. Sorry about the hijack.

I did check out AQ Connect though.

Last edited:

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
Whilst y'all were debating, I joined AQ Connect. It's, ummm, interesting.

Interesting with an ummm before it, huh? Care to elaborate? Interesting in a gormless way or was that a gormful "ummm, interesting"?

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting in a gormless way or was that a gormful "ummm, interesting"?

The vote's still out. You join and get pounced on by people that are magically matched to your profile. I felt a little bit like a goldfish being surrounded by gormless sharks. The site is young...so I'm reserving judgment. I LOVE AQ, btw. So please don't take this as a negative post, because it isn't meant that way.

Julie

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Not sure about this one. I recognize some of the community. Whilst I love AQ, I'd probably be gormless to join another writer community.