The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ward & Balkin, Inc. (formerly The Balkin Agency, Christina Ward L.A.)

Lotuspetal7

Ward & Balkin, Inc. (formerly The Balkin Agency, Christina Ward L.A.)

Does anyone know anything about the Balkin Agency? I found it in the Writers Market. It has no website but is listed on other websites with no comments of any kind, good or bad. I noticed it wasn't in your index so I wanted to ask. All I know is that Mr. Balkin represents only nonfiction. My book--not finished but I have all my thoughts together for a solid proposal--is about the origins of Chinese characters.

Thanks,
    Bonnie

practical experience, FTW
    Balkin would probably be worth querying; they have sold a number of books that straddle the line between scholarly and commercial (see, for example, "Israel on the Appomattox," published by Knopf). They also represent some business books, some pop sociology, and seem to represent the literary estate of religious philosopher Martin Buber. Sales on record to Little Brown, Holt, and a few others.

Lotuspetal7

Thanks!

That helps a lot. Sounds perfect for me, especially the straddling the line between scholarly and commercial, which is just what I want to do. Sure hope he's interested! *holding breath*

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    The Balkin Agency, Inc. (Richard "Rick" Balkin)

A belated sample of the books he's worked with:

http://books.google.com/books?lr=&q=...Books&as_brr=0
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Wink Christina Ward Literary Agency (Kit Ward)

I have been trying to find sales for Christina Ward, and agent I believe is based in Boston. A Google search yields quite a few conferences and workships with her as a panelist. I found one sale on Publisher's Weekly and one on Publisher's Marketplace (to be published in Spring 2007), but can't find much else other than she's been agenting for 15 years after being an editor.

I did not find her on the AW index, and she is on P&E with no ranking one way or the other, and on AgentQuery with one listed sale. Thanks in advance for any help!
    New World Orders is the exciting new novel of global warming and conspiracy by Ed Parrot and Jason Derrig. Visit their web site at http://www.edwardgtalbot.com

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    One reason you might be having trouble finding her in a search is that she goes by Kit rather than Christina. Search on "Kit Ward" in Google Books or Amazon and you'll turn up a number of sales.

- Victoria

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Victoria -

Thanks for the reply, that is just what I needed.

- Ed
    (a long-time fellow Amherst resident, now living in Florida)
    New World Orders is the exciting new novel of global warming and conspiracy by Ed Parrot and Jason Derrig. Visit their web site at http://www.edwardgtalbot.com

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Oooh, another Happy Valley denizen! We moved to Amherst about seven years ago, and love it (though the town politics are extremely frustrating).

- Victoria

Sockpuppet
    Queried 5/24/10
    Full requested 5/24/10
    Rejected 6/2/10

Is there a reason why barely anyone has responded in this thread since 2007?
    The Effigies Series (YA Superhero Fantasy/Simon Pulse)
    FATE OF FLAMES (Book #1) coming November 22, 2016
    Add on: Goodreads

Purchase Links and Synopsis

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
    *Now available.*
    Add on: Goodreads
    Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

My twitter is real.

As is my website!

Sockpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Roly View Post
    Is there a reason why barely anyone has responded in this thread since 2007?
    Not sure. QueryTracker shows 78 queries since January 2008, and that's just the people who chose to record their queries there. I see quite a few B&BC threads that peter out after essential info is produced.

I'm catching up on posting statistics on everyone who requested anything from me, for those who are curious about response times.

What is the website for this agency? I googled it but couldn't find the actual site.

Untillez (series): 3/10 books finished/2WIP
    Faith: 25% completion
    Kingdom: 30% completion

Baby due in December!

Sockpuppet
    Christina doesn't have a website. I found her on QueryTracker.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. kaitie's Avatar
    I didn't mention anything because she rejected me. I generally only post my requests.

N.B., As of Janurary 1st, 2011, The Balkin Agency, Inc. and Christina Ward Literary Agency have merged to become Ward & Balkin, Inc.

New link: http://wardbalkin.com/wordpress/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

figuring it all out
    I e-queried Kit Ward 1/11/11 using the new merged agency's e-mail per the website. There's been no response and I was wondering if they're a "no response means not interested agency." Has anyone had similar experience with them?

practical experience, FTW turningpoint's Avatar
    I queried Ms. Christina Ward on 2/21 and have not had a response. I like the look of their website. I am still learning the query process. I am waiting on a couple of partials I have out with other agents but find the length of time baffling. It seems so different from ordinary communication to wait a couple of months for a reply. Curious business.

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by turningpoint View Post
    I queried Ms. Christina Ward on 2/21 and have not had a response. I like the look of their website. I am still learning the query process. I am waiting on a couple of partials I have out with other agents but find the length of time baffling. It seems so different from ordinary communication to wait a couple of months for a reply. Curious business.
    Ms. Ward asks for 25-30 pages with a query. That's the equivalent of a partial. So she might take longer to respond. Some agents include a timeline in their guidelines, e.g. "If you don't hear from me within x weeks, I'm not interested." Unfortunately, she doesn't.

In my experience, if you have a partial out for more than 8 weeks it's ok to give the agent a polite nudge for status. Having said that, I've had agents sit on partials for 6 months or more, and some never get back. As for fulls, I've had agents take 6 months to a year to respond; others get back in a matter of days. Some have sent nice personal responses leaving the door open, others send forms (or have assitants send them) and others don't reply at all.

Anyway, good luck!

The Ward & Balkin Agency

Any of you folks know anything about the Ward & Balkin Agency?

Their website is here.
    www.stevebargdill.com

"Good writing is always about things that are important to you, things that are scary to you, things that eat you up." óJohn Edgar Wideman

Hah! that is what I get for posting before thinking. I found a thread on the Balkin Agency...tho it is dated 2007.
    www.stevebargdill.com

"Good writing is always about things that are important to you, things that are scary to you, things that eat you up." óJohn Edgar Wideman

I know I got a same-day form rejection from Christina back in April, but the word I've seen around is pretty positive.
    Blogging at The Doubting Writer

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.

Enjoying the Adventure StellaArgentum's Avatar
    Queried Christina Ward 7/18, got a nice but probably form R today. Oh, well!
    1897 Historical Fiction [Astoria, Ore., U.S.] (103K) - Shelved
    1849 Historical Fiction [San Francisco, Calif., U.S.] (98K) - Querying
    1884 Historical Fiction - Researching

From Publishers Lunch:

Christina (Kit) Ward, 59, founder of the Christina Ward Literary Agency, most recently co-owner of The Ward and Balkin Agency, and formerly an acquiring editor at Little, Brown in Boston, passed away November 19 after a brief illness. Her colleague writes: "Kit was a brilliant editor and champion for her authors whose work ranged from bestselling literary fiction to gardening books and nature writing, to poetry. She was a sought-after speaker and teacher at conferences including Breadloaf and Writers at Work."
    Running On Empty available now.

The Right Hand Rule
    available now.
    My website

She will be missed.

Has anyone heard whether the agency will continue? I'm not finding any sales reports for Rick since last March.
    ICAO
    ---------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast