• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Langtons International Agency

magicrealism

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Dale,

As a writer and someone who has worked in the New York publishing industry I appreciate your anger and concern for the nature of Langton’s International business practices. I am aware of how the business operates and your wariness is indeed justified.

I would like to draw your attention to the fact that you have unfairly named and shamed Langton’s assistant, Valia Lind. You do not mention that her conduct was unprofessional and it is therefore unfair that you have connected her personal and professional reputation to the business practices of Langtons International. As an assistant it is her job to conduct aspects of the business but never to decide how the business is run. For example, you say “Valia quoted me…”, but it is in fact Linda Langton who created and approved that quote.

Jobs in the publishing industry are extremely competitive. Most employees have to undertake internships (often multiple, and over some years) for little to no pay, and if they are lucky enough to score a full time job, it is often still poorly paid and sometimes unfulfilling. Despite this, these aspiring editors and publishers carry on because they care about good stories and want to help writers like yourself.

As in all of the arts industries, it is in our best interest to work together towards a common goal. In this case, publishing stories that matter, and supporting other writers. It is forums like Absolute Write, and the people like you who share their experiences who play a crucial part in reaching that goal.

For these same reasons, it is important that we only lame blame where it is justified.

I urge you to please be more considerate before naming employees that have not wronged you. If you believe that Langtons International has treated you unfairly, that is completely legitimate, and your comments should be directed towards Linda Langton who is the only person that is liable for the company’s reputation.

I understand that the process of being published is long and both monetarily and emotionally costly. I wish you all the best in your endeavours.

Vermithrax1

Registered
Reaction score
I strongly disagree. It was Valia Lind who was representing Langton and the one who was in contact with me. She was obviously fully aware of the business practices of the company she was working for and as such she was complicit in its actions. She was the representative with whom I was in contact, therefore it is SHE who is going to bear the brunt of my backlash. It's no different than when I get screwed by shady practices by FedEx or Verizon or any other company. It is the REPRESENTATIVE who REPRESENTS the company screwing their customers, and as such it is THEY who will have to endure my anger, since there is, of course, no chance of my getting to speak to the head of any of those companies. So if Ms. Lind doesn't want to put up with the anger of writers who feel they're getting scammed by her employer's business practices then maybe she should get a job with a reputable agent instead.

tsrosenberg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsrosenberg.wordpress.com
The nanny-ish lecture is hardly needed. 'We' can all decide for ourselves where to place blame in any given situation.

Since the only thing Dale said about Vaila was that 'she quoted me' a price, I can't imagine why anyone would think Dale was 'naming and shaming' Vaila for being unprofessional. She issued the price quotation. Whether that price originated with Linda or anyone else, Vaila performed the action, and thus it was described correctly.

Dale, there's no expectation that if an agent reads your full manuscript that you should stop querying. Unless you have an exclusive agreement with an agent, or if they say they won't read simultaneous submissions (which is generally the sign of an agent to avoid), you can query whomever you like.

romi41

Where have you been all my life?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi, I haven't logged in here in about...6 years (?), but since I've been getting multiple e-mails/FB messages about Langton's, I thought I'd re-set my password and post in here again:

-I was with Langton's for less than a year
-They shopped around my chicklit book, and forwarded me the rejections from publishers so I could have them on record
-I left the agency in early 2011, and soon after self-published my book instead
-I have self-published 3 other books since then, and these days I mostly write scripts/freelance
-I never used or inquired about Langton's editing services, and never paid them a dime for anything

In other words, going on 6 years now, I don't have any insight on the publishing industry/literally agents/or Langton's specifically. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but hopefully this will answer the question in the future to save other writers time. Happy writing everyone!

Romi

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Update on Linda Langton:

- In the past two years, Writer Beware has heard from three former clients who pursued legal or other action against Langton and her agency for non-performance, either because of editing paid for but not received, or for failure to market their ms. to publishers. All say they paid four figures--$1,000 or more--for editing. Two of the clients reached financial settlements with Langton; one is still trying to get her to pay up.

- According to Publishers Marketplace, in the past 12 months Langton has not only placed a client's book with a vanity publisher (Austin Macauley), she has placed multiple books with Black Rose Writing and Fiery Seas, neither of which pay advances.

- Victoria

Reactions: fantasycreature

Ana Maria

Registered
Reaction score
linda langton

Hello All!
Has anyone worked with Linda Langton recently? Has she sold any books in the recent past years?
Thank you for your time

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Her editing scheme aside, for every sale to a decent publisher, there's one to those of dubious worth (if not outright vanity).

VAwriter1

Registered
Reaction score
In December 2021, Linda Langton reached out to me on LinkedIn, asking if I had any unpublished books in need of literary representation. The novel I had just published earlier in the year was suddenly homeless because the press had folded due to covid. The Langton International website listed some recognizable titles, and claimed recent six figure deals with major publishers. So I submitted the manuscript to her and waited to hear. In the meantime, one of my editing clients, a new novelist, was looking for representation. I suggested Langtons International.

When my client received a note advising him to find a professional editor and resubmit, I was surprised to see they were recommending Linda Langton's editorial business for the job. This is a conflict of interest. The following week, I received the same email, almost word for word. Yet my manuscript had already been professionally edited at a publishing house by an editor with decades of experience. Not to mention many other books published by presses large and small.

Obviously, this literary agency is a front for a private editing business. A review of the online reports for the agency (some from former unpaid interns who sat in Linda's apartment reading through her slush pile and sending out form letters) confirms the setup.

When I reached out to the agency with my concerns, they defended their business model. However, to me it smells of scam. The fact that a literary agent would reach out to me on LinkedIn should have been the giveaway. Since I fell for it, I thought I'd make sure you don't.

Last edited:

VAwriter1

Registered
Reaction score
Since posting this on LinkedIn, I have heard from others who submitted and received their standard "Hire us to edit your manuscript, then resubmit and we may sell it to a top publisher" response. I think this kind of "agency" is unprofessional, not unimportant.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're glad you did, too. Whew, huh?

Reactions: byarvin

Ethan Michaels

Registered
Reaction score
Apologies for waiting so long to add to this this post.
In May-June/2023, had a very similar experience as previously indicated here.
I.E., sent query, then received request for 1st 50 pages, then received praise along with 'not ready to be sent to publishers, needs editing', then came 'we can provide that for a fee' type comment- a BIG red alert! The fee was over $3,100 and most of their responses appeared to be of a form type; the only one of their replies bearing the title of my book had it in italics.
Just as others did- astutely checked here, made my decision, then withdrew from this agency's consideration. Still feel it was the right thing to do.

Reactions: fantasycreature

fantasycreature

Registered
Reaction score
Wow just logged into absolutewrite as this agency contacted me through linkedin and I just sent off the 50-page sample after submitting my query. Thank you for this. I'm an MFA grad in writing fiction with a certificate in a very intensive copyediting program, which I didn't inform them of in my bio. Ms. Langton seems very charming in my linkedin messages but I will laugh if I get such a response. I am intrigued that she lists some very successful sold novels, yet would compromise the integrity of her agency by fishing for editing clients in this manner. We shall see.

update: MY RESPONSE TO HER follow-LETTER to the above FOLLOWS IN THIS THREAD lolllllllllll!

Last edited:
Reactions: Maryn

fantasycreature

Registered
Reaction score
I just lol'd her IN AN email told her how it's a terrible way to ruin her reputation as an agent with her paid editor crap and come ons. Anyone needs help out there editing your manuscript PAY ME! Not only have I helped with a few manuscripts that have gotten their authors published, I have a certificate in copyediting from NYU, quite an intense program, and a New School MFA in writing, not to mention years editing books and scripts for other writers who have had their work published or produced. Here is the nonsense she sent me:
Dear xxx

We hope you are well.

Thank you for submitting xxxxx which we have now had time to review.

We enjoy the unique premise of your book, and your writing voice. However, we feel that the structure needs work, with a clearer main narrative thread pushing the plot further and some of the characterization and dialogue need further development.
(for those reading this I have ten years as a working screenwriter...talking about "dialogue" (a degree as well in theater and years working with playwrights on dialogue as a dramaturg and director!)
Therefore, we do not feel that xxxx is ready to be sent to commercial publishers. We recommend that you work with a professional editor to help to bring your book up to publishable standards. An editor would advise you on how and where to improve your manuscript, highlighting the areas that need work.

If you are already working with an editor, we would be happy to read your book again after it has been edited. If not, Linda started a separate publishing entity where we work with accomplished professional editors, some of whom are award winning authors, or who have worked at major publishing houses. Please let us know if you would like help connecting with an editor.

Whichever editor you choose, we will be happy to read again once it has been revised. (No THANKS!)

Thank you, XXXX. We look forward to hearing from you, and to helping you further.

Best wishes,
Lindsay
Assistant to:
Langtons International Agency

(Let me add: the major and obvious critique should be a paranormal (sci fi etc.) novel should be over 80,000 words to PITCH as the major drawback for any agent I would expect who read it...she got the first few pages, then the requisite 50 after that, by which time I'd read about all the money she'd gotten out of gullible writers as an "editor" who then never had their work sold by her.) I submitted and waited for a nonsense reply so I could email her back what I said at the top. Shame on her. STAY AWAY!

• Wow
Reactions: Gramps

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am just intrigued at the "issues" that she identified in the first 50 pages without seeing the full MS.

Unfortunately your email won't make a difference. Scammers gonna scam and she's just going to move to the next sucker.