• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Langtons International Agency

romi41

Where have you been all my life?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

Thank you honeysock!
And thanks for checking out my blog :) I will probably get back into the blogging by end of Jan, once my mind is off the editing!

And rebobinar
, it's good to hear anytime someone says they like Indian-themed Fiction; I hope to bring a different voice to it...we'll see, and thanks for the positive vibes :D

coveawakening

Registered
Reaction score
COVE AWAKENING

Any updated info about Langtons International, I see the same info two years ago, on P and E it still states not recommended, the agency contacted me interested in my query, requested a partial/synopsis etc i checked one of their children author she was published I did not gain info about sales and the editing on the side I have no info if they offer editing.

coveawakening

Registered
Reaction score
Regularly checking site, I saw reference to Linda Langton @ Langtons International Agency. As a first time writer she took me on and sold my first book, part one of a magical realism trilogy, to Dutton/Penguin for worldwide publication. www.scarletstockings.com. Pretty amazing! I've also been using her as an editor on the 4 drafts of my current novel, now with Penguin. She's been of great help, her editorial fees are reasobnable and she's been generous with her time. I highly recommend her. She sure did it for me!

I sent a partial for my young adult/paranormal romance fiction hoping everything works out all I saw was the warning on Pand E but that was two years ago can you message me back and give me info.

coveawakening

Registered
Reaction score
No one has posted recently on their personal experience or knowledge of Langtons. Their website today has photos of published books, and lists of authors who are prize-winners/have respectable credentials. I have been contacted by the agency and offered representation (I send them a full ms about two weeks ago), so I am very curious to know if there is reliable info on them out there. They sounded (on the phone) and looked (online) good to me, if small and academic (possibly a good fit for my more literary work).

That is awesome, they are reviewing my partial hopefully it'll work out I have not read any updated info regarding any conflict of interest, if they charge a reading fee/or any other fee let me know how it goes, hopefully I wont get a REJECTION.

RoseMarie

Words ARE my blood...
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so the good outweighs the bad apparently, from what I'm seeing.

Im looking at their site and it says to send query via hard copy or email...so is it okay to e-query?

Just checking so I don't shoot myself in the foot! Lol.

romi41

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I had a comment on my blog asking about Langtons and I figure it came from here so I'll answer:

-She's my agent, I equeried, but sent hard copies of the Partial and Full since that's what they requested. If you have a membership to Publisher's Marketplace you can see she has a record of sales, and agent-wise, she's about the nicest, most approachable lady--always answers my questions promptly whether by email or phone, but we mostly do email lately; we've been on sub for about 3 months, during an agonizingly slow time in the publishing industry (or at least that's what I tell myself...LOL), and that's the feeling I get from almost everyone suffering alongside me in the Rejection & Dejection: Next Circle of Hell thread ;) (though I have a good feeling SOMEONE out there will get good news soon! :D ). Her editor submission process is standard, as she forwards me the email responses from the editors, so I can see who exactly we're submitting to, and what the response is; because it's Women's Fiction (and generally Commercial), we've been submitting to the big and medium-sized houses...like I said a slow time right now and my MS is still out there to a lot of editors, so we haven't yet submitted to much smaller publishing houses...a bit of a waiting game right now.

In the meantime I am hard at work on my Non-Fiction Humour WIP, which based on her positive reaction, she will take on as well.

Also, she never asked me to take on any fee-based editing services, and the contract was pretty standard---but if anyone moves further along in the process and has questions, PM me.

And good luck to everyone! Write on :)

Last edited:

kmfollia

Registered
Reaction score
A similar experience...

Hi everyone:

I'm new to these forums and am looking for a little feedback on a similar dilemma I'm facing with this agency. I've been an aspiring novelist for many years and have two completed young adult fantasy manuscripts which I've been shopping to agents.

My second book is the more marketable idea, and Langtons was thrilled by the sample chapters and requested my full manuscript. Finally got her response a few days ago and it goes like this: "loved the first half, things lose steam towards the middle, but I think this novel has a lot of potential." Long story short, she's suggesting I hire a professional editor to review my manuscript so that I can revise based on those recommendations and resubmit to her.

I can understand why this particular manuscript might need work, but it would be at my expense (roughly $1,000). I guess Langtons doesn't feel quite strongly enough about me or my work to invest in that money themselves, and as an unpublished novelist, I'm inclined to think that's reasonable.

Initially I felt weird that they suggest to an aspiring author to hire thier own editor at thier own expense in the hopes that the resulting revision will be something they feel confident in representing. On the one hand I'm happy to get professional feedback and I'm sure my book will improve from that feedback. I also feel like $1000 is worth the expense if it means eventually getting published. But on the other hand there's an element of risk that makes me apprehensive.

They aren't exactly pressuring me to use thier recommended editor and said I was free to find my own, but they are also "happy to recommend" thier person (who would charge me the $1000 for an extensive critique that goes well beyond proofreading). Haven't talked to anyone over the phone yet, and they haven't given me any specific feedback.

Romi, how has your experience with Langtons been going? I see that you were apprehensive about them innitially but came to like working with them. I got in touch with another one of thier clients who was very satisfied with the way thier book was handled and sold, and who was NOT charaged any fees by Langtons. Any thoughts or feedback I can get would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Kevin

romi41

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi everyone:

I'm new to these forums and am looking for a little feedback on a similar dilemma I'm facing with this agency. I've been an aspiring novelist for many years and have two completed young adult fantasy manuscripts which I've been shopping to agents.

My second book is the more marketable idea, and Langtons was thrilled by the sample chapters and requested my full manuscript. Finally got her response a few days ago and it goes like this: "loved the first half, things lose steam towards the middle, but I think this novel has a lot of potential." Long story short, she's suggesting I hire a professional editor to review my manuscript so that I can revise based on those recommendations and resubmit to her.

I can understand why this particular manuscript might need work, but it would be at my expense (roughly $1,000). I guess Langtons doesn't feel quite strongly enough about me or my work to invest in that money themselves, and as an unpublished novelist, I'm inclined to think that's reasonable.

Initially I felt weird that they suggest to an aspiring author to hire thier own editor at thier own expense in the hopes that the resulting revision will be something they feel confident in representing. On the one hand I'm happy to get professional feedback and I'm sure my book will improve from that feedback. I also feel like $1000 is worth the expense if it means eventually getting published. But on the other hand there's an element of risk that makes me apprehensive.

They aren't exactly pressuring me to use thier recommended editor and said I was free to find my own, but they are also "happy to recommend" thier person (who would charge me the $1000 for an extensive critique that goes well beyond proofreading). Haven't talked to anyone over the phone yet, and they haven't given me any specific feedback.

Romi, how has your experience with Langtons been going? I see that you were apprehensive about them innitially but came to like working with them. I got in touch with another one of thier clients who was very satisfied with the way thier book was handled and sold, and who was NOT charaged any fees by Langtons. Any thoughts or feedback I can get would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Sorry it took me so long to reply, haven't logged on to this site in a couple of weeks, guess I was on a bit of a vacation hangover ;)

Anyway, my experience with the agency continues to be good! I wasn't asked to get a professional edit, so it's hard for me to weigh in on that point. I think it's a totally personal decision, about whether you pursue a professional editor or not; some do, and feel the better for it, while others don't and won't even consider it. I fall into the second boat, partially because I can't afford it ;) , but mostly because I believe a good circle of beta readers who can rip your manuscript apart (in a good way ;) ) is the best kind of editing you can get, and it's free! Of course that depends on who is beta reading your work, but as an example there's a whole section on this site for beta reading, as well as lots of online writing workshops, and then of course in-person writing groups if they're in your area.

If you've explored these avenues and still feel that a professional edit will help, then it's your call. I wouldn't do it though for the sake of one agency, because there are lots of agencies you can send your MS to. I think the bigger reason to pursue a professional editor would be if you really believed it could bring your MS to another level (more than the free options available to you).

So that's my two cents, if it means anything. I've enjoyed being repped by Langtons so far; very approachable and very standard with respect to responses from editors etc. I hope I can sell my first book or maybe even my second book, which I'm currently working on!

PM me if you have any other questions,

Romi

kmfollia

Registered
Reaction score
Romi:

Thank you so much for updating me about your experiences with Langtons. I'm still weighing the option of having a professional edit done out of pocket, because you're right there are many cheaper options. But I do like working with editors as a rule and I think it'll be a learning experience if I can justify the expense. I defiantely think I have a great idea for a middle-grade novel and I know the MS isn't quite there yet, so we'll see. Best of luck with your books! I appreciate your feedback.

-Kevin

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Kevin, just be aware of the conflict of interest issues here--if someone benefits financially by suggesting that you use their services, you can't be sure that the suggestion is truly being made in your best interest.

Even though Langtons isn't "exactly pressuring" you to use their editor, they have to be aware of the fact that most writers will be at a loss as to where or how to find an independent editor, and are likely to choose the suggested editor for that reason alone.

You're right to consider the risks here. Langtons has promised only to reconsider your ms. if you revise, so that $1,000 may not result even in a representation offer. And will it make your manuscript better? Possibly. But have you gotten other reactions from other agents or publishers that echo Langtons'? If so, and you aren't sure you can fix the problems yourself, hiring an independent editor could make sense. If not, it's dangerous to undertake revision--let alone to pay for it--based on just one agent's assessment.

If you do decide to use Langtons' editor, be sure to ask for the editor's credentials, so you're sure they're qualified (and have expertise relevant to your subject or genre). And be absolutely sure what your $1,000 is buying.

- Victoria

kmfollia

Registered
Reaction score
Update on My Experience with Langons...

Thanks for the advice, Victoria. I appreciate it. I was apprehensive as I moved forward with my dealings with Langtons and my cautiousness proved wise.

Romi, I hope that your arrangement works out. But I would NOT recommend that anyone bother with this agency based on my experiences. As I wieghed the option of an editor she repeatedly dodged my specific questions about her agency and the editor she would recommend. She avoided even acknowledging any request to speak on the phone (something I normally would not EVER ask of an agent until they start trying to sell me services).

Finally after a lot of vague responses I simply asked her for the contact information for the editor she recommended. I thought it wouldn't hurt to get in touch with them and check them out.

How did she reply to that? She INVOICED ME! Attached to her email was an $975 invoice for an editing service called "Editorial Experts 4 U" a company that was founded by her according to a quick google search. Which she never mentioned. In fact she went out of her way NOT to mention it. She definately made it sound like she was merely helping me find an agent who was to be a third party.

I replied politely but firmly that I was concerned that she had not been dealing honestly, professionally, or directly with me. I asked her why she had not been up front with me that the editing money would go in her pocket, expressed offense that she invoiced me when all I had asked for was contact information, and made it very clear that unless she spoke to me on the phone to clear up any misunderstandings that I would not be able to work with an agent I could never trust.

Several days later she finally replied in an email littered with typos and bad grammar offering flimsy excuses and dodging the tougher questions. She NEVER exhibited any specific knowledge about my manuscript, its plot, its characters, or its structure only regurgitated the claim that it "loses steam in the middle", and finally offered to talk to me on the phone that week but stated she "didn't know what more she could say".

Naturally, I politely agreed that I would like to speak to her at the time she suggested and promised not to take up too much of her time. But I definately had lots of specific questions about her editing service (which by the way has a very unprofessional "under construction" website), her email ettiquette, her agency, and to see if she had even read my manuscript by finding out if she knew key plot points or even the names of characters.

She never replied to that email, and she never called. It's been weeks. Finally today my manuscript was returned by them in my SASE (brownie points for doing that at least).

I'm definately passing all of this on to P&E, and hope to save other people the waste of time, money, and frustration. Two moths of game playing when I could have been shopping my manusrcipts around to others. Even if Langstroms is not maliciously or actively trying to take advangate of aspiring authors (and I think they probably are), thier business ettiquette is so out of line that they shouldn't be operational.

Again, I did talk to some authors who had success working with them, so hopefully those of you that are currently signed will get a deal out of it. But writer beware!

-Kevin

Sicarii

Registered
Reaction score
I have just signed up for the forum. I noticed the many remarks regarding the Langton Agency. If I may, I will drop my couple of cents in. I know her for almost five years, since I first told her about the idea for my first book.
Long story short, I got from her much about how my idea has a "commercial value" and when sending in my first draft (at her request and for which I paid 250.00 to evaluate my manuscript), how her TWO "professional readers" liked it. Once I finished it, and after being edited(by a creative writing teacher, a personal friend), it was then that the requests for editing "fees" started flying in. In her words, the editor she found "normally charges 45,000" but she would agree to 23,950 to bring it to "publishing standars."
Oh, and she is very approachable, no problem there. I should say that I was referred to her by one of her authors (she sold some 6 or 7 of his books) whom I know personally. I recall her words, "publishing became a tough world."
I guess then that making money out of editing is a better business. I simply would have preferred had she told me from the beginning that she also owns an editing company. Anyway I will let you decide for yourself.

Last edited:

Sicarii

Registered
Reaction score
Oh an one last thing, there is this list that rates various publishers and literary agencies. If you follow that link http://pred-ed.com/peall.htm under agents and attorney, to letter L, you will find her under Not recommended.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Sicarii, that's a ghastly amount of money. Now that you're here, if you want a beta reader, there's a thread for finding one. If you want to put some of your work up for critics, there's a thread for that. AND they are FREE.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Langston Editorial is gone. Editorial Experts 4 U is still "Under Construction' (although it did exist briefly in '09 (Wayback Machine).

PM lists recent sales for the agency itself, FWIW.

romi41

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I still get hits on my blog from time to time from this thread, so I figure it’s time to update it! :)

I broke up with Langtons agency last month (broke up? Lol..). She was perfectly fine as an agent, she submitted my women’s fic novel to all the relevant publishing houses/editors last year, I received the responses from them, it just didn’t click. Later I finished my second book (humor/parody), which was totally different from the first. The feedback she gave me didn’t fit at all with the intent of the whole thing...so I didn’t see a point to continue on. She was very nice about the separation, and very nice/friendly in general, to anyone who’s interested.

Other than that, I’ve literally not been posting at AW for six months AT LEAST, as I was caught up in a life experience full of highs and lows (yes, matters of the heart ;) ). But hey, it fuels the inspiration for my next writing project (write what you know, writing is therapy, and all that.. :) ).

So call me a writer in limbo or a writer who’s getting back to writing, but I’m not really in a place for the agent-‘go-round at the moment, which is why I may not be here for six months more! ;) I don’t even think my current parody is fit for the agent palette, but I believe in it very much. I think I’ll go it alone and let the readers decide, whether or not that’s what others would do. We must all do what’s best for our individual selves.

If anyone wants to know more about the agency or anything else, the best way to reach me is probably by DM on Twitter, as I don’t check in here very often.

Happy writing to all :)

AD1968

Andrew Demcak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andrewdemcak.com
Langton's is still up to its old tricks: They loved my 80 page partial, asked to see the full novel. Two weeks later I was told I needed to "edit" my manuscript (which has already been proof read and beta read) and then they would reconsider it. They recommended their marvelous "editors," of course. I flatly turned them down.

Last edited:

sbroadwe

Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Langton told me that my story needed a professional edit in order to give it "punch," and offered to help me find an editor. I told her I would appreciate that, and she sent me an invoice for $967 from Book Marketing International.

Nigel Gallimore

Author and part-time journalist
Registered
Reaction score
I have to confess that I found Linda Langton (and I must stress that I have nothing to do with her, except we were born in the same part of the world) very helpful and over the last couple of years she has offered good advice and never once asked for a fee.
A number of 'respected' publishers have suggested editing rates to me at a lot less than any quoted here. Incidentally, I contacted P&E about the 'not recommended' note on their very useful website. They told me that she has an editing company in addition to the agency, which suggests a conflict of interests in her role as a literary agent. So, I guess we need to take her as we find her. Now, if she was 'strongly not recommended' like some of the cowboys P&E are protecting us from, then we really should be concerned. I suggest that people try her and see what comes up.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to Ms. Langton. She requested a partial. If I smell anything the least bit fishy, I'll pass.

I'll keep you all posted.

Tigerlilly79

Maybe I should see someone . . .
Registered
Reaction score
I just

received an email from her this morning requesting my first fifty pages. It's the first response I've gotten that hasn't been a rejection.