• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Langtons International Agency

HumbleScribe

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
The first example on their site's fiction list:
http://www.langtonsinternational.com/fiction.html
is Once Upon A Choice, by Linda Lee Morgan. Entering either author name or book title in Amazon or BN didn't show me that book. Is there a more comprehensive book-search site available, which might include whether it only found its way perhaps as an e-book that Amazon doesn't sell? Could the explanation be possibly listing titles they're currently shopping out but haven't been accepted for publication? I've seen agencies listing soon-to-be published titles, but in that case, they list the estimated pub. date to confirm that's the case. But I don't see that here, or Charlotte's book mentioned on their site's fiction list (maybe the site's list is outdated).

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
How did this thread end up in the YA forum back in 2006? I don't think this subforum existed back then.

HumbleScribe

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure about threading the threads, but I noticed another thread about this agency (with different posts) in B & B at
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37270
and that thread seemed to list some concerns or questions more than this thread, though I didn't sense any full conclusions.

Received a request for a full from them, so really trying to get some sense of their fiction publishing experience to justify the submit -- having trouble verifying their role in the fiction titles their site lists (re: my post #6 above).

Thanks...

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
Except for Gloria Durán, Ora Mendel and David Garrett Izzo I wasn't able to find any of Langtons International's fiction authors on Amazon. Of those listed, the most recent publication was in May 2009, but most are ten years or older. The most recent titles (Garrett Izzo) are not among those listed on Langtons International's homepage.

HumbleScribe

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the informative research, Eirin. Seems as though they're not updating their site with the latest (and hard to say if there's much new, though that May 2009 sounds like they're doing something these days), with more of the existing items are older or even in question per post #10 in this thread about listing Aaron Hass but according to the poster he said they didn't sell his works (returning to the question -- does an agent have the right to list an author's novel if they only tried selling it but didn't succeed? -- seems non-standard to me).

If I decide to submit my full, I could ask them what's their latest sales.

Last edited:

Eirin

Registered
Reaction score
If I decide to submit my full, I could ask them what's their latest sales.

Very good idea.
I didn't find anything about them at AgentQuery either, except for a request for info that links here. Google links to a page in Publishers Marketplace that require membership, so I couldn't see what that's about.

romi41

Where have you been all my life?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Found some info on Langtons!

Very good idea.
I didn't find anything about them at AgentQuery either, except for a request for info that links here. Google links to a page in Publishers Marketplace that require membership, so I couldn't see what that's about.

Hi All,

I'm new here and stumbled over because I too was looking for info on Langtons, as Linda Langton asked me to mail her chapters and a synopsis a few days ago.

I couldn't find much aside from their confusing and seemingly out-of-date website, until I finally caved and got a membership to Publishers' Marketplace.

Well here's the scoop:

She had no deals in 2007, 2 deals in 2008, and so far has five deals in 2009: one in March, two in May, and two in July. The publishers for these deals include St. Martin's for the most recent deal, Berkeley, as well as Yale University Press.

So maybe things are picking up for Langtons and they need to overhaul that website which is not making them look good right now.

Now that I know this, I will send my chapters, but I did read a concerning post from Charlotte from 2008 in the other thread, that said she was very happy with Linda's "reasonable" editing fees? What??? Fees...I don't like the sound of that, but I will send the chapters for now and see what happens...she may not even like them anyway..lol.

Hope that info helps! :)

Romi

Eirin

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Romi and welcome to AW :)

Thank you for the additional information. Do keep us updated on your progress, will you; especially the part about editing fees.

romi41

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi Romi and welcome to AW :)

Thank you for the additional information. Do keep us updated on your progress, will you; especially the part about editing fees.

Thanks Eirin! This site seems pretty cool :). I will definitely keep you posted if I hear anything, and seriously, I will cut off my own arm before I pay any kind of agent fees...or maybe I will save the arm and just look for another agent ;)

romi41

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Anyone else hear anything back since I posted?

I sent my partial in the mail 12 days ago, and received an email today that they were "delighted" to read the first three chapters, and want me to mail them the rest.

So I guess I will mail them! I would still like to know more about this agency, and I ain't paying a damn cent, but we'll see what happens ;) ...

Please share if you have an update!

HumbleScribe

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
When they requested my full a few weeks ago, they didn't specify snail mail or email. So I emailed it. I sent a follow-up email a week later asking for confirmation it's ok to email it -- but no reply yet to that question.

romi41

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
When they requested my full a few weeks ago, they didn't specify snail mail or email. So I emailed it. I sent a follow-up email a week later asking for confirmation it's ok to email it -- but no reply yet to that question.

That's funny; when they requested my partial they asked for snail mail. I heard back 12 days after I sent it, and for the Full right now they also asked for snail mail specifically...WTF!!....off to print 420 pages tomorrow...hahaha ;)

Good luck with your full! :)

HumbleScribe

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
After one sends them a query and they respond by asking you to 'send a full proposal', that does not mean, for example, to email the full mss. as I'd presumed, but rather to send the first three chapters and an extended bio. Snail-mailed. Obtained the clarify after asking for clarification as couple weeks ago after I started wondering if I'd correctly interpreted the request and not wasting time (I burned three weeks). They were nice about apologizing for taking two weeks to clarify what a "proposal" meant and snail vs. email.

So now, the waiting starts all over again. And they'll decide not based on the full I emailed them but only three chapters and an "extended" bio (that's pushing it for a mostly-unpublished author like me, but I gave it a shot, mentioning what little experience I have).

It's a harder sell than my other novel, so I do appreciate they're willing to take a look at this one, esp. if it might result in representation without requesting, uhm, editing fees. Esp. since it's already ultra-edited. Any updates on your submittal, Romi41?

romi41

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
After one sends them a query and they respond by asking you to 'send a full proposal', that does not mean, for example, to email the full mss. as I'd presumed, but rather to send the first three chapters and an extended bio. Snail-mailed. Obtained the clarify after asking for clarification as couple weeks ago after I started wondering if I'd correctly interpreted the request and not wasting time (I burned three weeks). They were nice about apologizing for taking two weeks to clarify what a "proposal" meant and snail vs. email.

So now, the waiting starts all over again. And they'll decide not based on the full I emailed them but only three chapters and an "extended" bio (that's pushing it for a mostly-unpublished author like me, but I gave it a shot, mentioning what little experience I have).

It's a harder sell than my other novel, so I do appreciate they're willing to take a look at this one, esp. if it might result in representation without requesting, uhm, editing fees. Esp. since it's already ultra-edited. Any updates on your submittal, Romi41?

No update yet; thing is, I mailed it last week from Canada; had to mail it in a box 'cause that was the best way for over 400 pages. And I'm able to track it (didn't fed-ex it, but tracking it via Canada post). Weird thing is, the last update was on Monday, telling me it had arrived in the "destination country". They should have received it by now since it's Friday; like I'm in Toronto and it's only New York, hopefully the system will update its tracking soon.

SO ANYHOO...could be a while, but they did reply to my partial within ten days (and that includes from the day I mailed it...so probably in 6 days from the day they received it---so pretty fast turnaround on that).

I too hope for good news, as this agency has made like five sales this year based on PM, so it's not like they don't have contacts. I can only hope they are not insistent on the editing services. Hopefully it's just a seperate functioning business, otherwise I will walk away. But who knows, it might be a rejection anyway! ;)

And don't worry on the bio thing; my "extended bio" was the same bio I included in my query---I had no other experience to speak of!

Good luck! :D

Last edited:

HumbleScribe

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
The intrigue continues. From reading my query and then requesting a partial (three chapters and bio), they now requested a full. Again on hardcopy.

I'm curious whether past clients receiving editing fee requests faced that after only submitting a partial, or rather not till after the agency also asked for the full. Didn't catch any update to their site listing those newer five or so publications from this year.

Romi, any feedback from them on your partial?

HumbleScribe

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
They promptly sent me an email confirming their receipt of the full I my snail-mailed last week. Tick-tock...

HumbleScribe

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
So they said they liked my query and to send three chapters. They liked that too, and asked to snail mail the full. Done. And though a good number of agents provide at least a hint when they reject the full (especially after first having read a partial) here's what I received (and yes, I am following up to at least get a clue whether it bombed as early as the fourth chapter, or later, or the slightest clue why -- frankly, I'm quite disappointed their assistant couldn't bother with more than a terse genric R after those several rounds).

Thank you for sending us your full manuscript. Unfortunately, *Along the
Beach*, doesn't quite fit this agency.

Last edited:

HumbleScribe

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
And now, they replied to my follow-up asking for a clue.

Here's their response:

We felt the writing style does not fit this agency and the manuscript needs revision. Thank you very much for sending it to us. We wish you luck in getting your book published.

(end)
Excuse me? Apparently the writing style was agreeable to them the first three chapters, and they didn't feel it needed any revision, otherwise they'd have R'd it then. FYI the writing style doesn't do a 180 on subsequent chapters. Same story, same style as they read 'n liked with the partial.

So what really happened? Maybe they don't read the partials close enough, a vague glance, (after a similarly vague glance at the earlier-sent query), ask for a full, and only then pay much of any attention. Dunno. But it would explain the behavior. Wonder if Linda even knows her assistant is pulling whatever lame stunt sometimes is going on. Not the first time I've received an R for a full. First time I've been this peeved though, for the way they did it.
Hope your mileage varies.

p.s. Interesting re: the (in so many words) "Your story needs revs, but we're not gonna tell ya, neener neener neener" -- but hey, at least they didn't try to conflict-of-interest approach me on asking me to pay for edits. Just not handled well. Needs to pay some level of attention to the partials before requesting fulls, so R's from the fulls don't happen for reasons they could've easily spotted in the partials (if that[s even the real reason).

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Now that I have modly powers, I'm going to move this to B&BC like it belongs

romi41

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Just updating this thread...

I've officially signed with Langtons International. I'm pretty excited, and hopefully I can clear up some of the earlier questions (including my own, which is how I found this site in the first place, lol :D ), by saying that I had the contract reviewed by a professional and it was pretty standard. No hint or mention of an Editing Service company, or reference to use any such company. Standard termination clause, and commission, etc. I've got until end of January to do the final polish/edit, then hopefully going out on submission in mid-Feb.

She mentioned she had ten deals in 2009, including two she just sold in December.

Also, in terms of dealings, she is very personalized and always available for phone chat if she's in the office. She has also responded to all my random email questions very promptly, lol.

In other words so far so good, and hopefully this sheds a bit of light for anyone else querying to her! :)

rebobinar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mysteryrobin.blogspot.com
Congratulations, Romi! I'm so excited for you!! Can't wait to see the news of the book deal come though. :) Do you mind if I ask what kind of novel you wrote?

romi41

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks rebobinar, I hope you'll be right ;) I wrote Women's Fiction, with a Multicultural slant (Indian), think "Desperately seeking dream man before arranged marriage doom, then accidentally meeting said dream man on the Internet. Good luck with that."

;)

honeysock

Tell me to leave. Please.
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Romi! I've read your blog, and I saw on other posts where you were getting close to signing . . . here's to a fast sale! *lifts wine glass*