• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Carnifex Press

tu_sense

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tu-sense.livejournal.com
I hope this is the appropriate place for this. I checked the index and didn't see anything about Carnifex Magazine or Flashing Swords Magazine.

Ok, here's the problem. Carnifex is calling for short story submissions. Which seemed great to me. I checked them out and by all accounts, they're completely legitimate.

The deadline for submissions is coming up and I'm trying to finish and all. And yesterday Carnifex made an announcement that they are partnering with Flashing Swords Magazine, which is in a similiar genre. What Carnifex will do is allow any of their printed stories to then be printed in Flashing Swords.

Is this legit? What are they really doing here? I'm worried particularly because Carnifex is print. But Flashing Swords is free and viewable online. Flashing Swords is legit as nearly as I can tell (need to do more digging). Am I wrong in thinking that the copyrights to these stories are getting really tangled here? Can anyone descramble this? Thanks.

(link to the announcement made by Carnifex:http://forum.sfreader.com/default~f~48~m~19727.html)

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
When Plots With Guns and Handheld Crime partnered, they *both* published my accepted stories.

I got one check, the story was published simultaneously in both formats/venues, and copyright was mine. First North American Serial Rights/World Electronic Rights were purchased, I can still sell re-prints of the story. Neil Smith (editor, Plots With Guns) and Victoria Esposito-Shea (editor, HandHeld Crime) were both very professional and a joy to work with. Although both venues have since folded, there has never been a problem with copyright - which belongs to the author, even if taken in the name of the publication.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

CarnifexPress

Armand here from Carnifex Press...

Without going into a long-winded explanation of why Carnifex Press has partnered with Flashing Swords e-zine, I will say that it benefits both of us and the author by getting more people to read the story... through 'research' we found that less than 20% of our readers were the same people, so we decided to help one another out and strengthen the Fantasy community.

That being said, the contract will simply state that Carnifex Press has the right to publish the story as a reprint in Flashing Swords one time, although also remember that there will only be 4 reprints per year in Flashing Swords and I will simply ask authors first before reprinting your story... of the fourteen authors from "Clash of Steel: Book Three - Demon" six offered to have their story reprinted, and we just did Bryan Berg's "Demon Heart" in Flashing Swords and did a nice interview with him that pointed readers to his website and promoted his writing.

It is not my intention to reprint a story from an author who is not comfortable with it but I will still reserve the right to do it... I will also be reprinting stories from the shared world "Freehold" books as well and from past anthologies that authors have expressed interest in having added.

I hope that helps and if not don't hesitate to e-mail me at [email protected]

Armand Rosamilia

www.CarnifexPress.net

Freehold now looking for writers!
www.angelfire.com/indie/freehold

wez

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevewestcott.com
Pitch Black Books

Just received notification that Pitch Black Books have ceased all operations. For anyone with stuff with them I have copied a contact addy below.

Steve

"Due to the recent resignation of David Pitchford from his position as CEO of Pitch-Black LLC and also due to mounting financial difficulties, Pitch-Black LLC will, reluctantly, cease all operations on February 1st 2007.

The company will be dissolved. No further publications will be forthcoming and all currently open projects including Lords of Swords 2, Lords of Justice, Magic and Mechanica, and pending novellas will be cancelled.

Meanwhile, PB has ceased all marketing efforts, notified our distributor of our plans to shut down, cancelled all forthcoming projects, dismantled our websites and acquisitions staff.

As I will no longer active in any day-to-day operations concerning Pitch-Black LLC I ask you, please, to direct any questions, replies, or inquiries regarding submissions, outstanding payments for contracted fiction or artwork, or the status of Prism Quarterly to David Pitchford, CFO Pitch-Black LLC. Here is David's contact information:

David M. Pitchford [email protected] (217) 529-9244 3360 South Carmen Avenue Springfield IL 62703.

To our many friends, contributors, and supporters, we extend our heartfelt thanks and appreciation and our regret for this unpleasant, but irrevocable decision.
Daniel E. Blackston"

Last edited:

hopeful

Registered
Reaction score
Victoria -- Could you tell us some examples of legit. distributors (and what makes Ingram and B&T less than legit.)?

Thanks!

-hopeful

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Ingram and B&T are entirely legitimate -- but they're wholesalers, not distributors. They don't have a sales force ... they're warehouses. The stage between the publishers and the distributors.

hopeful

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much, James!

-hopeful