• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Soho Press

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
submission guidelines a mystery

I can't find their submission guidelines on their website. Does anyone have that information, or where I haven't clicked properly?

I have a thriller with some foreign espionage elements, and wondering if that might be a good/potential fit.

Tri
Wow. I couldn't find their guidelines anywhere, either. Looks like they've gone through a major overhaul. I looked at my cover letter I sent 8/8/11.

Here's the address:

Katie Herman
Soho Press, Inc.
853 Broadway
New York, NY 10003

Katie Herman is no longer with Soho, it appears. I'd look at their 'about us' page and address your submission to either the senior editor, or the editor who fits best. I think I sent the first 3 chapters. Snail.

I had NO idea SoHo stood for SOuth of HOuston! Especially when they're NOrth of HOuston. NoHo? :)

Their crime fiction novels are very 'literary' and must include an international element.

Maybe they only take agented submissions now?

Good luck!

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
LillyPu, I finally got my rejection about two weeks ago.
Aw, sorry to hear that. :(

I think we might have submitted around the same time/month. I'll be looking for mine in the mail shortly! I'll welcome closing this chapter -- too high a wordcount for me. :)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I just noticed they have an editor's email you can send to now. Before it used to be snail-mail. Has anyone tried them recently? Does anyone know if they pay any advances?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
If you read further down the submission page, under Soho Teen Submissions it says you can send to Rachel Kowal:

"If your project meets that criterion, please submit the following to Rachel Kowal: rkowal[at]sohopress.com. You can expect us to respond within 6-8 weeks."

I'm pretty sure they just adding that bid not too long ago cause when I looked at it months ago it wasn't there. I'm sure if it was I would have done it months ago. I don't know if that only means for the YA imprint though.

I surfed the net and found out they do pay advances. What that amount is, I'm not sure.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Me too and I love how you can email your submission. Those snail mail subs are such a pain. Good Luck to you! Keep us posted.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Don't feel bad, Lily. I'm throwing the dice with a book that's on the fringe--a paranormal (fantasy) with a heavy mystery element. I'm guessing they would prefer straight up mysteries in their YA line-up but are taking some genre to cover the other bases. You can never fault a publisher for wanting to stay within specialty areas; looks like they're testing the waters a bit.

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I never did hear back from SoHo. I submitted a query and three chapters, etc. snail mail with SASE 8/2011. So... what'd they do with my stamped envelope, make an airplane? I guess I'll cross them off. :)

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Don't feel bad, Lily. I'm throwing the dice with a book that's on the fringe--a paranormal (fantasy) with a heavy mystery element. I'm guessing they would prefer straight up mysteries in their YA line-up but are taking some genre to cover the other bases. You can never fault a publisher for wanting to stay within specialty areas; looks like they're testing the waters a bit.
Sounds good to me, and good luck. I hope you're in their testing waters!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wow, Tri, you and I submitted on the same exact day. I just hope they're not a non-response type.

Keep me posted, ok?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Oh, wow, Tri, you and I submitted on the same exact day. I just hope they're not a non-response type.

Keep me posted, ok?

I just checked my records and found some notes on Soho that wasn't anywhere near my spreadsheet for rejections. I do only have one sub there but the directions say to submit HARD-MAIL to the teen line. Umm...I e-mailed my sub. I'm also wondering if my agent should have made this submission since I'm not sure if that stipulation is in their guidelines.

But I'll keep you posted, Undercover. Yep, you and I are hitting up the same houses right on down the line. Red Deer just tanked me for a 3-chapt sub, and told me their list was filled for the next three years. Guh. Wish I would have known that.

tri

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
SoHo is awesomesauce. I am mega-depressed that I don't write what they take.

Do you mean the books they publish?

I thought I'd looked up Soho thoroughly -- I'd read this thread, certainly -- but I missed P&E's entry.

Soho: We're not hearing good things about this one. A publisher.

There's no link to Soho there, so I can't cross-check.

I just queried Soho as a freelancer, and got a reply two days later from the editor. I was really pleased initially... but Soho asked me for a work sample. I've never had anyone ask me for that before.

Does anyone have newer info on Soho?

I feel like I let my eyes be dazzled by their shiny authors (Soho Press publishes Stephen Fry and Justine Larbalestier).

Best,

ASZ*---
(a little woebegone)

Cassie Knight

Romance with Kick-Assitude!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassielknight.net
Hi,

I am and have been a senior editor at two digital houses and while I don't ask for a writing sample, I ask for a "test" before I bring on freelance or in-house editors. We have to see you can edit. A writing sample would work the same way to illustrate what you know or don't know about storytelling and craft. It's not unusual to ask for either.

ETA: Should have also said I know nothing about them as a press.

Good luck!
Cassie

Last edited:

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
Hi,

I am and have been a senior editor at two digital houses and while I don't ask for a writing sample, I ask for a "test" before I bring on freelance or in-house editors. We have to see you can edit. A writing sample would work the same way to illustrate what you know or don't know about storytelling and craft. It's not unusual to ask for either.

I've done quite a few tests for publishers -- editing tests.

As I'm not a writer, I don't provide writing samples. By "sample" in this instance, I meant sample of editing work; I'm a freelance copy editor. But I didn't say that previously.

Hence the confusion. My apologies, Cassie (and everyone else).

ETA: Should have also said I know nothing about them as a press.

Good luck!
Cassie

Thank you. :>