The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soho Press

practical experience, FTW

Soho Press

I've read and enjoyed a few books by Soho (though I found them at used book stores), and their site looks quite reputable: http://www.sohopress.com/

I wondered if anyone here had any direct experience with them.

I notice that at least one of their best authors moved on to another press...

(And, yes, I looked in the index first, but didn't seem to find them there.)

Thanks, special friend for my avi! AW's Treasured Chocolate Birthday Lady Susie's Avatar
    I'm sorry I can't help you with Soho, but did want to you to the cooler. It's a great place and bet someone will be able to give you info.

Anyone know what the average response time is to a query to Soho?

Anyone?

paranormal interest Jennifer Robins's Avatar
    I sent them a query on Sept 24th and haven't heard anything yet. I really didn't expect and answer this soon. Don't know how long it will be.

I submitted just two days before you. I wouldn't expect anything for at least a month, but I wondered when to start looking for a response -- 3 months, 6 months? I'm surprised more AWers haven't submitted to Soho.
    I'll let you know when/if I hear anything.
    Good luck!

I'll post as well when I hear from them. Good luck with yours.

permaflounced
    Hi, all,

I submitted to Soho 8/8/11. Duotrope tells me my submission's been out for 81 days. 90 is the usual turn around, and I have 9 days left. My notes tell me I snailmailed a cover letter, a synopsis, and my first 3 chapters, as requested: Attn: Katie Herman.

I'll post with their response once I get it.

On another note, McSweeney's is temporarily closed to submissions until they catch up with their slush. My manuscript is months overdue with them. I think they're opening again in November. I'm glad I checked their website before giving them a nudge, which I'd be too shy to do anyway... Once I submit, I try and forget it even exists. Losing.

Good luck, LillyPu! Keep us posted and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

permaflounced
    Thank you, happywritermom! The same goes to you.

Got my for letter of reject today. No comments only it didn't suit their current needs. I sub'ed on sept. 24th.

I'm sorry, Jennifer.
    They are awfully selective about the types of fiction they accept though, so try not to take it as a comment on your work. I probably wouldn't not have submitted if I had studied their client list just a little more closely.
    I'll be expecting my big R any day now!

Thanks. I'm not surprised and not upset. Rejects are part of the game. It's a great story and I'll keep sending it out there. Wish I could get an agent but that's just as hard.

Have you tried Kensington yet?

Not with this one but I've tried them before and never got a reply so I hesitate to send them anything else.

Still waiting.
    Approaching the three-month mark around Christmas, so I'll probably wait until after the holidays to nudge.

permaflounced
    Still waiting, too! Day 129. I'm starting to wonder if I haven't received a rejection letter already and just forgot, or blocked it out.

Sorry, Jennifer. Keeping at it is all we can do.

Thanks. It didn't take as long for mine. Maybe you should email them and ask for an update. Make sure they even got it. Sometimes these sub's seem to get lost.

It's been more than three months, so, as per the guidelines on Soho's website, I emailed for an update. So far, no answer. If they hadn't received it, I would think I would have gotten a response to that effect.

So I guess I'm going to file this one away as a rejection.

LillyPu, did you email or hear anything yet?

permaflounced
    I haven't heard anything yet. I expect my response to come in the mail since it was a postal submission and (I hope) I remembered to include an SASE. I don't think I have it in me to inquire about it... bleh. I'll most likely wait until the cows come home. Let me know if they respond. Crossing my fingers for you. I better subscribe to this thread. I was reading through their website the other day and got goosebumps it's so, I don't know, cool.

I sent an SASE as well. I'll subscribe too and I'll let you know whether I finally do hear something.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

banned as an incurable tosspot

Soho Press

Hi everyone,

I can't find anything on this site about Soho Press. Apparently it's been around for twenty-plus years, and accepts unsolicited queries. Curious if it is a POD type press (which Janet Reid has said to avoid), and if anyone has had experience with them.

I've heard of Soho Press. They've been around since 1986. I think they're connected to Random House, but I'm not sure. Is this who you're referring to http://www.sohopress.com/ ?

permaflounced
    Yep, same Soho. Let's see, they've had my manuscript for 240+ days... I provided an SASE, but they must've used my stamp to mail their mother-in-law her eviction notice. Or...

I've forgotten all about about them; two can play the same game.
    I'll not grovel at their doorstep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast