The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boyds Mills Press / Front Street Books

practical experience, FTW Provrb1810meggy's Avatar

Boyds Mills Press / Front Street Books

I was looking up small presses and found Front Street Books. They seem to be pretty legitimate. Here's their website. http://www.frontstreetbooks.com/index.htm I wanted to know what anybody knew about this press.

Also, does anyone know of any other small presses that publish young adult fiction? They're hard to find when most small presses seem to only publish literary fiction.

Front Street allows for email queries. I queried and received an email rejection within a couple of days.

practical experience, FTW Provrb1810meggy's Avatar
    Interesting. Anyone else have experience with them?

Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by Provrb1810meggy
    Also, does anyone know of any other small presses that publish young adult fiction?
    I do, but I can't recommend them. The review copies I've received from small-press YA publishers have been rather awful books.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

practical experience, FTW
    Front Street is very legit. In year's past they published some very edgy YA novels and won a few YA book awards, as I recall. I believe one of their big authors was Brock Cole.

They were recently (2 or 3 years ago?) bought out by the Highlights for Children people and were folded in to their Boyds Mills Press publishing arm.

Stephen Roxburgh is the main guy there. He gives talks all the time at children's writing workshops and conventions.

They are small and selective about what they choose to publish. Limited budgets, as with all smallish presses.

Best of luck with them!

practical experience, FTW stephblake24's Avatar
    Ghost Road Press is a new small press. Matt Davis is a wonderful guy to contact. They have a website.

Resident Corning Ware junkie JoeEkaitis's Avatar
    A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. Well, OK, a little podunk town in SoCal.
    Quote Originally Posted by PVish
    Front Street allows for email queries. I queried and received an email rejection within a couple of days.
    Couple of hours for me.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Front Street Press / Boyd Mills

Don't know if this thread will need to be moved, but - I e-queryed Joy R. Neaves at Front Street Press (which is part of Boyd Mills now) - the Boyd Mills query guidelines state it takes 2-3 months for them to respond to a query - but here at AW I read that people e-queryed and got responses back in a couple of days. For me it's been a few weeks...Anyone else with any experience sending email queries to Front Street / Boyd Mills? Thanks.

It all started with a little boo... wyntermoon's Avatar
    I'll leave this for now to see if we find some answers for you but will port it soon to the Bewares and Backgrounds forum.

Can anyone help?
    Stacey Graham
    Associate agent | Red Sofa Literary
    agentstaceygraham.com | @staceyigraham

Thanks

Just wasn't sure where it should go.

It all started with a little boo... wyntermoon's Avatar
    No problem.
    Stacey Graham
    Associate agent | Red Sofa Literary
    agentstaceygraham.com | @staceyigraham

practical experience, FTW BrookieCookie777's Avatar
    Front Street, I believe, stopped accepting email queries. I'm not sure though. Don't quote me on that.
    "Cowards die many times before their deaths,
    The valiant never taste of death but once."

- Shakespeare

practical experience, FTW frandavea's Avatar
    Their guidelines are a little ambigious for some genres. I e-mailed the YA editor, J. Neaves, for clarification, and instructed me to send my entire manuscript. This was back in May. Haven't heard back since, despite 2 follow up inquiries.
    D.M. Anderson
    http://dmanderson.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/frandavea

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
    Shaken (Echelon Press)
    With the Wicked (on submission)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

To add to my last post, I find it interesting that, after 7 months and several inquiries about my ms, no one has time to reply, but each month I get news, tips and workshop info from its parent company, Highlights for Children.
    D.M. Anderson

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
    Shaken (Echelon Press)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

I couldn't tell from the posts if this news had been clearly posted here, so I apologize if it is posted elsewhere. But for those who were looking to query Front Street, and specifically Joy Neaves, I thought it relevant to post here.

As of September 19, 2008, Stephen Roxburgh resigned as publisher at Boyds Mills Press and they were in the process of closing or may have already closed the Asheville, N.C., office, from which Front Street had historically been based. I couldn't find out what had happened to the three employees in that office—director of institutional marketing Nancy Hogan, editor Joy Neaves and designer Helen Robinson. One release said they weren't going to remain with the company on a full-time basis. See:
    http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6597124.html

But others were less clear:
    http://www.underdown.org/chchange.htm

Just thought I'd pass the info along.

~suki

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Lucy Joseph's Avatar

Contact for Boyd Mills

For anyone still interested, Boyd Mills Writers Guidelines are here: http://www.frontstreetbooks.com/cont...ors_guide.html
    They don't seem to accept emailed queries/mss. Does anyone know who to direct queries to at Boyd Mills/Front Street for picture books? I hate addressing things to "Dear Editor" or whatever.

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    I sent a query to "Submissions Editor" at Boyds Mills Press, 815 Church Street,Honesdale, PA 18431 back in November. Recently received a form reject. No sig, nothing. I had searched for whom to send it to, and gave up, just putting Dear Editor. I hate doing that to, but there was no name. Anyone else?

practical experience, FTW Nandi's Avatar
    From the "About Us" section of their web site:

Carolyn P. Yoder, Editor/Calkins Creek, has been a history buff for many years. Before joining Highlights magazine and Boyds Mills Press ten years ago, she was an editor and writer for the New Jersey Historical Society; the executive director of the New Hampshire Antiquarian Society;, and from 1983 to 1996 served as editor, editor in chief, and assistant publisher of Cobblestone Publishing, Inc. Currently she is also senior editor of history at Highlights.

Andy Boyles, Editor/Science and Natural History, has been translating science for lay readers for more than twenty years. He began editing science books and articles for young readers in 1994, when he became science editor at Highlights. He has edited occasional science books for Boyds Mills Press over the years and took on a formal role in 2005. He has worked with Jack Myers, Dougal Dixon, "Dino Don" Lessem, Ken Croswell, Rosanna Hansen, and others. Andy has offered many beginning science writers their first opportunity to publish for children and is always looking for scientists who want to write for kids and children's writers who want to write about science.

Joan Hyman, Editor/Wordsong, has edited Jane Yolen’s poetry books for the imprint since 1991, as well as titles by Rebecca Kai Dotlich, Eileen Spinelli, and Milton Meltzer. During that time, she has also managed other editorial projects at Highlights for Children, Inc., including Hidden Picture books, puzzle books, and craft books.

Erin Garrow edits fiction, poetry, and bilingual books. He has worked with authors Doug MacLeod, Monica Roe, and Avis Harley. Erin also oversees the Lemniscaat list.

Okay, Nandi, you get the prize. You dug deeper.
    Last edited by stormie; 01-28-2009 at 12:41 AM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Lucy Joseph's Avatar
    AAACK! But of all the editors listed, none work for Front Street, which is the only imprint appropriate for my manuscript. Dear Editor it is!!!!

As I said, I've used Dear Editor if I just can't find an up-to-date listing. I've had acceptances--one where I even forgot the salutation. I don't recommend doing that (!), but when in serious doubt, Dear Editor is okay. Many times your ms. gets read by a first reader anyway, not the editor.

Front Street?

Just wanted to know if Front Street Publishing Company can be trusted.
    http://www.frontstreetbooks.com/

I read their submissions guidelines and they say for YA novels to just send them the first three chapters of your work. Hm...

They're owned by Highlights for Children, so I'd say so. I subbed my ms almost a year ago but never heard back.
    D.M. Anderson

Shaken (Echelon Press)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

Quote Originally Posted by salamangkiro View Post
    Just wanted to know if Front Street Publishing Company can be trusted.
    http://www.frontstreetbooks.com/

I read their submissions guidelines and they say for YA novels to just send them the first three chapters of your work. Hm...
    They are legit. As mentioned above, they are part of Highlights for Children, which many consider to be the top kids magazine. Larry Rosler is the Editorial Director. I met him at a writer's con and he was helpful and professional, even jumping in to run a session when the facilitator scheduled had an emergency.

Why do you question the "first three chapters" request. I believe that is standard for YA.
    I should be writing. Now. I mean it.

Progress Report:
    Picture books (4): 52 rejections
    Short Stories/Poetry (7): 41 Rejections

SOLD! 3 poems to Highlights!

Looking for a writing group in eastern Pennsylvania? Click here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast