Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I use to use my father's twin lens reflex I think, with the flip top look down from above to view the shot. He got in 1959, if I remember correctly. I fooled around with it for awhile, experimenting and all. Yes, it was film, and large negs too. It took really clear and large shots. A nice gloss finish. I never really considered photography as a livelihood or even a possibility, until one of the chaps at the camera shop said I had taken a good shot (funnily enough, I still remember it some 30 years later - it was in black and white, of a fellow walking across a ladder placed on the horizontal, with the sun behind him, and I was underneath shooting upwards). Unfortunately, the camera is gone now - who knows where? If it is still around and functioning, then someone has themselves a little beauty in hand.

I really like looking at the images people (I really like your bird shot, Nav).But, I am wondering, is it out of place to mention here about the costs to JG of the bandwidth, and the influence on the speed of download of those with dial up? Any way you folks could provide links to the images mounted on Photobucket or some such?

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
ATP said:
I really like looking at the images people (I really like your bird shot, Nav).But, I am wondering, is it out of place to mention here about the costs to JG of the bandwidth, and the influence on the speed of download of those with dial up? Any way you folks could provide links to the images mounted on Photobucket or some such?

Ah, good point.

done and done.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had a group of pictures in my photobucket that I did for my father. They lived in the country with several acres of woods behind the house. My dad loves nature. So when they moved to town into a smaller (more manageable house and property) he was really upset about leaving the timber. I took my camera out there, shot with film, and took pictures of trees, the path through the woods, and various skylines of the trees and sun coming through. I selected three, put them in a black frame with white matting and blew one of them up to 8x10- a tree - in the fall and leafless with the background of rolling storm clouds - framed it alone and gave it to them as their housewarming present for their new place. But I don't have them on disk or photobucket. *sigh* I'd love to share them.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, Godfather, I think those photos are nice with the blur effect. It's almost as if you did that on purpose, especially with the middle shot - the black and white.

The Sony cybershot does have drawbacks - mostly the fact that there's no option out of auto focus. I use Kodak cameras of various styles and abilities. the autofocus on them is much faster, but they also have the manual option. Is there an Action setting for your Sony? Or anything else that will increase the speed?

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I started using film over the past year, although I just dabble in photography, taking photographs just for myself. My husband collects old film cameras. When my digital camera broke at the end of 2009, I started borrowing a Bronica S2A that he bought on eBay, and which I think is the best camera I've ever seen. This is a photograph I took with it using an infrared filter and IR-sensitive film. Forest and coastal images are my favourites to take.

Millyford Bridge (infrared) by ElaraSophia, on Flickr

I have other pictures, mostly taken on a digital camera and altered in Photoshop to my taste, on my Flickr stream, here.

One point in film's favour, for me, is that although it does cost money and time to develop the photographs, it's not as high a cost as replacing a digital camera every four or five years, which is what I've found I've needed to do (and I'm very careful with them). The look of film photographs appeals to me. I do have a new digital, now, which I love, but it's more for quick snapshots. Both types of camera have their place.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a couple:

th_P1050769.jpg
th_P1080480.jpg

th_P1080435.jpg
th_candleavsmall.jpg

Tujack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fuel2drive.com
I absolutely love digital. I shoot with a Nikon D90 DSLR and have about 6 lenses for it. Although I used to shoot with a manual SLR (Yashicamat) and develop my photos in a darkroom, I much prefer the convenience and quality of the digital. Pixalation is not at all noticeable in any of my photos with the Nikon. Plus, I no longer have a darkroom nor the accommodation for one and keeping film on hand was always a problem. Like most everything else, you get what you pay for. An inexpensive point and shoot digital cannot compare with a Nikon or Canon DSLR.

Tujack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fuel2drive.com
Is there a way to upload a photo from my computer on here? If so, what do I do? I don't have my photos saved on a website.
Thanks

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a way to upload a photo from my computer on here? If so, what do I do? I don't have my photos saved on a website.
Thanks
To minimize bandwidth usage, images must first be stored on a photo sharing site, such as Flickr or Photobucket, before they can be shared on this site.

Setting up an account is easy (and free) and worth the effort to share your images.

While I'm here, one of my favorite shots of a difficult subject: The child who very rarely sits still long enough to get a decent photo. :)

4-28-10FarmerKids114.jpg

Tujack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fuel2drive.com
When I go to Flicker and copy and paste the url in the attach image place, the photo doesn't show up. I just get a little box with the X in it and no picture. What now? What else should i do?

Tujack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fuel2drive.com
Finally Got It To Work

You can't imagine how frustrated I was trying to upload this photo of the orange lilies. Finally, with explanation in the FAQ section got it figured out. At any rate, the photo of the lilies was taken with the Nikon D80. It's a great camera but I upgraded to the Nikon D90 since taking this photo. I started out with the Nikon D40. I can't help it. I'm addicted to cameras. Well, I was...can't afford any more now.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Great to see these pics. I prefer pentax myself, just a basic point and shoot optio can get tack sharp shots. Here is one of my favorites--linked from shutterstock as I don't have the files on this computer....

stock-photo-piglet-751079.jpg

Last edited:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
grave.jpg

n658742031_910703_5009.jpg

n658742031_412846_7415.jpg

A few shots that I have taken.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, fun pictures!
I've just bought myself a new digital camera, after years of using my phone. :)

100_0153.jpg

I lurves me some macro (plant was about an inch tall, and looks even better on the full size image). :)