The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agency] Marjacq Scripts Ltd

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

[Agency] Marjacq Scripts Ltd

Thank you, we are actually based in the UK, hence the thought of using them. Has anyone got any thoughts on Marjacq Ltd, also based in the UK? In fact, while I'm asking, what advice is there for the very best agent dealing in fantasy stories in the UK?

Many thanks

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    I don't think Marjacq handle fantasy.

Speaking as a UK-based fantasy author who is still trying to find an agent, the best agents to approach with a fantasy novel are John Parker and Meg Davis at MBA, John Jarrold, Simon Kavanagh at Mic Cheetham, Robert Kirby at PFD, Dot Lumley.

Gone
    Please keep discussions about publishers in their own separate threads. Bringing up a second publisher in a thread about the first makes it harder for people to find information on that second publisher.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

One o' them nested frame sites. Let's see if this works...Client List

Cool, it does.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

I was going to start a thread about Marjacq but found this older one. Has anyone had recent dealings with them? According to Litmatch, they accept fantasy.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    SF yes, fantasy no in my experience

Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    SF yes, fantasy no in my experience
    Seems I misread the results on Litmatch. No fantasy.

Bugger.

They turned my submission (near future SF) around super-fast, even though it was by snail mail and about five days before Christmas 2008. They can only have had it in their possession for about 36 hours before they rejected it.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    I worked with Jacqui Lyons (one of the founders of Marjacq, responsible for the "jacq" part of its name) years ago when I worked for TelecomSoft, a UK computer-games company, and she worked at Marjacq Micros. She was very straightforward and easy to deal with, and very honest. I liked her a lot. Although I can't vouch for the literary side of things, having not worked with anyone there, if they're like Jacqui they're going to be good.

Just wanted to share: I emailed them asking if they accepted electronic queries. The submission page didn't say anything about it, but the contact page hinted that maybe they did.

This morning, they replied that yes, they did. Here are the instructions:

"Please send the first three chapters, with a synopsis that allows the agent to see the structure of the completed work, for the attention of Philip Patterson. Material will be confidentially shredded if we are unable to offer to represent you, and you may submit to subs@marjacq.com by email (uncompressed word-processor, pdf or text files only.)"
    Si tu n'es pas une lumière, tu dois réfléchir.

practical experience, FTW
    Anyone have an idea of the response times? I'm at 8 weeks so far. Mr Patterson must be busy. i sent an email to ask if it was still in the pile (10 days ago) but no reply. Guess that's a no, then.

practical experience, FTW
    No response after a few months and several reminders. End of story.

Updating link: http://www.marjacq.com/
    ICAO
    ---------