Not open for further replies.

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I’ve did a search in FAQ’s and checked the boards and can’t find a related subject. If I missed it and this thread needs to be deleted. Be my guest.

Issue:

I have read two opinions from the experts, regarding how to deal with time elements in novels. One says only spell it out always. Another says to do 12:30 p.m. only in narration, and twelve-thirty p.m. in dialogue.
I tend to lean toward the latter.

To those who would know: which is more appealing or widely accepted in the field?

Thanks,

LightShadow

defender of the blahs!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I don't get specific. I use clues. A character may rub his five o'clock shadow, or a character may wonder where the last ten years went to, or "after the revolution completed its cycle. . . "

But that's just me. Some like to give specific times and dates. I don't. I allow the flow of the story to show the reader how much time has passed, or in what era the story is taking place.

I trust the reader's imagination.

I suppose it is just a matter of preference. That is mine.

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
LightShadow said:
I suppose it is just a matter of preference. That is mine.

Those are beautiful examples, thank you.

But, I am wanting specific. In other words, If I say something like

"Mary's class starts at 8:30 A.M." Some say in dialogue and narration to ALWAYS spell it out. "Mary's class starts at eight-thirty A.M."

Others say, to spell it out in narration, and numerical in dialogue.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Patricia said:
Others say, to spell it out in narration, and numerical in dialogue.
I agree with this suggestion, but I'm not a published writer. This is the way I do it. I found a thread here that discusses numbers. It is talking about how to write Psychology 101, but maybe you can decide from the responses. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33398. Hope this helps.

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Thank you both. I think I'm wanting my cake and eat it too. :) I like the latter suggestion, but also like consistency. I've done searches, and it does vary. These types of nit-pics that I do during my re-writes take days sometime before I make a decision.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Do it any way you like. If your book is published, the publisher will have a style sheet they adhere to (I forget what they call it) and it will be changed then, if necessary.

NightWynde

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brigitta-m.blogspot.com
Strunk & White don't say anything specific about time as expressed here, but it does seem to agree with the idea that spelling out dates or other serial notations (ex: August 9, 1963; Chapter XII; 352nd infantry) should only be done in dialogue (ex: "I arrived home on August ninth" but "In the year 1970, I turned twenty-one.").

I tried finding something in the online version of the Chicago Manual of Style, but the only thing that was even close is that with the exception of 24-hour time (as for the military) 12:00 should be expressed as either noon or midnight to avoid confusion.

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Thanks, rugcat and Nightwyned.

Yes, I had read that in Strunk & White, and to tell you the truth, that is what got me to nit-picing. I had been thinking from what I had read elsewhere that spelling it out, was a norm. I do like the "look" of doing it the Strunk & White style, even though I demand consistency from myself otherwise.

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
While it is more than likely okay to use either, I've used both. If the story is set in the present or future––digital should be fine.

Right now I'm working on something set in Victorian-age Philadelphia. When I needed to use the time of day for the setup of a scene, I spelled it out.

Let's see what the big hitters say. Good question.

Mike

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
It's good to familiarize yourself with the Chicago Manual of Style's version of things, if only so you know what your copyeditor thought s/he was doing.

Deleted member 42

Don't rush out and buy the Chicago; the public library will have a copy or three.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Some writers spell it out to the extreme in dialogue.

e.g. "THe class starts at five oh clock ay-em."

I don't remember for the life of me who did that, but it drove me up the wall.

In answer to your question, I generally spell it out, even in dialogue. If my character is reading something that I transcribe directly, and it has numbers on it, I'll use them. For example, "John looked at her badge, which said "HELLO, my NAME is OPAL, I have WORKED here for 5 YEARS""

Whereas if it were narration I would write, "John say from her brightly colored nametag that she was not only named Opal, but she had worked there for five years."

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I've seen it done as jargon (Steve King and Neil Gaiman both used it, now I think on it) but I've seen it just used as style.

I'm really trying to remember who it was. I'll be hunting through my bookshelves now. I haven't seen it in a long time, so the odds are good I don't even have the book I'm referencing now. Which bugs me... Sorry. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.