• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Andrea Brown Literary Agency

Twinkie

spongy, yellow, & an utter mystery
Registered
Reaction score
I'm researching my next agent to query, and I'm wondering if anyone's tried querying Kelly Sonnack before. Anyone?

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com
I'm researching my next agent to query, and I'm wondering if anyone's tried querying Kelly Sonnack before. Anyone?

I queried her in mid-June of this year and never heard anything. The website says they are a no-response-means-no agency, but I've heard of her making requests 3 months after a query, etc. I think she had a baby sometime in late June, so maybe she's taken a break~ she's been absent from Twitter, so you might try someone else right now if they seem to be a match as well.

Last edited:

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
I queried Caryn Wiseman on 8/1, got a request for the full on 8/8 and just got a form rejection on the full today, 9/9. I'm super bummed. But there are the stats, for those fortunate enough to get a request from her.

HopelessDreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that, Joy. Still, a request for a full is definitely promising!

I'm going to be querying Jennifer Laughran within the next week or so. I follow her blog, and she seems like an all-around awesome person. She's one of my dream agents, so I'm really nervous!

Twinkie

spongy, yellow, & an utter mystery
Registered
Reaction score
Mrah. Kelly Sonnack is still on maternity leave. I got an auto-response suggesting that I query someone else within the agency. Which I did.

Queried Jen Rofe on 9/10. I'll come back here and update when I get a response.

Rapunzel99

Registered
Reaction score
Twinkie: Queried Jen Rofe on 9/10. I'll come back here and update when I get a response.[/QUOTE]

OK Not good at quoting other posts, so forgive me....

I too queried Jen Rofe on 8/9. I never heard back, so I'm assuming it's a no.

Last edited:

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this thread cuzzzzz this happened:

March 14- Queried Laura Rennert
March 18 - first 50pgs request!!!!!

:snoopy:

artemis

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Laura Rennert on 6/25, didn't hear back, told her I had an offer on 7/28 and that I would give the agents with queries from the past month or so + whoever had material until 8/5 to get back to me before accepting. I've since had another offer, which is nice, but I just heard back from Laura today. She asked for the full and for another week to read it.

I would love to have her look it over, but I feel like that puts me in a weird place with the agents who are waiting to hear if I'm going to accept their offers or not. If you were me, what would you do? I haven't responded to her yet. She was at the very top of my list, so I really don't know what to do. Do I give her more time and ask the other agents to be patient? Do I send her the full and ask her to get back to me by 8/5 anyway? Advice, anyone?

duse

Registered
Reaction score
I would give her the full with the understanding that the other agent had been promised a response by 8/5, so if she had any thoughts, it'd be great if she could share them by then. Being an agent, she'll appreciate not only your honesty, but your willingness to respect your promise to the other agent.

Just IMO.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I agree with duse. When I was going through my agent-offer dance, I had a few who had to pass because they weren't able to respond to the deadline in time, and at least one who read as far as she could in the time allowed and made a decision based on that.

Agents understand how this part of the process works, and they know they might lose out on a client because of timing that's outside of their control. And, ideally, all of the agents who are offering are ones that you would be happy with.

Anyway, good luck!

artemis

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I took your advice, sent her the full, and stayed the course. Hopefully, it'll all work out for the best.

auriel

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I tried to skim all the posts but couldn't figure out - are they a "no from one is a no from all"-type agency? I saw their website said only query one agent, but does that mean only one at a time, or ever?

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Hey guys, I tried to skim all the posts but couldn't figure out - are they a "no from one is a no from all"-type agency? I saw their website said only query one agent, but does that mean only one at a time, or ever?

Ever. They say they share queries with their colleagues if it isn't a good fit for them.

Well, edited to add: only one ever for a given manuscript. You can certainly write another and try a different ABLA agent.

auriel

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much :) That's kind of the impression I got, but wanted to make sure.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Sent a query in April, got no response. Too bad, since not only is this agency in California, it's close enough for me to bike to.

Cranky1

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed that on Laura's personal page, she mentions that she is seeking upmarket women's fiction.

http://www.laurajoyrennert.com/agentsite/submissions.php

Then, she advises writers to follow the submission guidelines on the ABLA website. When I go to the ABLA submissions page, it states that they are only seeking children's literature.

http://www.andreabrownlit.com/how-to-submit.php

I searched for Laura's name and I found a few articles where she mentions her interests, including women's fiction.

Would you query her with a women's fiction manuscript? From reading those articles, she seems interested in multicultural perspectives. I have a completed women's fiction piece and I'm working on a YA manuscript.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Yes, I would submit women's fiction to her. She says she's interested in it, and her personal page should trump the agency's generic guidelines.

Good luck!

Cranky1

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I would submit women's fiction to her. She says she's interested in it, and her personal page should trump the agency's generic guidelines.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Erin Latimer

Stay in and write.
Registered
Reaction score
I've read through all of the agent bios on the website. It looks like none of them take adult fantasy? I'm querying a NA fantasy, which is driving me to drink (I've had more than one person say I should query it as adult).

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I've read through all of the agent bios on the website. It looks like none of them take adult fantasy? I'm querying a NA fantasy, which is driving me to drink (I've had more than one person say I should query it as adult).

Hi, Erin!

ABLA represents children's literature almost exclusively, so that explains why you can't find an agent interested in adult fantasy there. :)

As for your note about NA, I'm woefully under-informed when it comes to all things new adult, but I thought Dahlia Adler had some great insights here:

http://dailydahlia.wordpress.com/2014/05/07/things-i-think-about-na/

Hope it helps, and good luck with your manuscript!

Erin Latimer

Stay in and write.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Erin!

ABLA represents children's literature almost exclusively, so that explains why you can't find an agent interested in adult fantasy there. :)

As for your note about NA, I'm woefully under-informed when it comes to all things new adult, but I thought Dahlia Adler had some great insights here:

http://dailydahlia.wordpress.com/2014/05/07/things-i-think-about-na/

Hope it helps, and good luck with your manuscript!

Thank you so much! That's really helpful! :) PS, I'm a huge fan of your blog!