• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Andrea Brown Literary Agency

FictionChick

Probably writing
Registered
Reaction score
I have a partial (100 pages) out with Ms. Rennert. It's YA. She seems brilliant. Anyone have experience with her?

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
Can someone recommend which agent I should submit too here?? I am up in the air. Laura Rennert seems like the one who would most like realistic YA with cross over potential and my voice but I'm scared of her because she looks so accomplished. Then I was thinking Mary Kole or Jen L. but they seem to like para and fantasy more. Any advice?

I'd say take a shot at it, especially if you think she's a good fit for your work. The awesome thing about the agency website is they provide a lot of information about who each individual agent reps, what the agents are looking for and their recent sales. The latter part is especially helpful in deciding who not to query, if they've sold something/ represent something similar to your manuscript.

I'm sorry I can't help you, FictionChick, but good luck on the partial! :)

Miss_Marcelle

Registered
Reaction score
By looking at their website and the previous posts on this thread, Andrea Brown Literary Agency looks like a pretty great agency! Can't believe I haven't queried them yet... They are next on my list. :)

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
I have a partial (100 pages) out with Ms. Rennert. It's YA. She seems brilliant. Anyone have experience with her?

Ms. Rennert was the first agent I queried with my first MS and she requested the full. She was a pleasure to converse with, and forwarded it on to Ms. Kole. I haven't heard any complaints about any of these awesome ladies.

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Equeried Laura Rennert on 8th Feb 2011. Form rejection received 14th Feb 2011.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
The more I read about Mary Kole the more I like her! Her blog is great, if you haven't seen it you must! (http://kidlit.com/)

Anyway, I sent her a query on friday and am really hoping for good news cause she is awesome =)

nakatsuluver

Registered
Reaction score
Andrea Brown Lit Agency and more ?

:welcome:

So...I'm sure that there's another thread about this agency:Shrug:. But some of the stuff is a bit outdated (and I wanted to know things are the same today) so I was wondering if you guys/gals can let me know it this is a good place to send queries?

And if have any suggestions for other YA agencies:hooray:. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks...:) :snoopy:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
1) Considering that the previous post was less than two hours before yours, it's hardly outdated. 2) Even if it were, please post to the existing thread instead of starting a new one. Thank you. Threads merged.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
And if have any suggestions for other YA agencies:hooray:. I'd appreciate it.
I suggest searching for agents who are looking for YA on AgentQuery and Query Tracker.

The Andrea Brown Literary Agency is an excellent agency for YA. You can only query one agent there per project, so choose wisely. And this thread is not outdated at all, as several posts have been made here this month.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
The Andrea Brown agency is one of the BEST for YA and children's lit. So yes, a good place to send it. There are a ton of agents who take YA right now because it is still selling very well. But I agree, try Agentquery or Querytracker (or both) and plenty will come up.

Though I'm not sure if it is the best place to send a YA if you also write Adult work. I am pretty sure they only do Childrens work. So if you wrote an adult novel while with this agency you'd need a different agent for that novel (I think?). Anyone know for sure the answer to that question?

Last edited:

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
This is from Mary Kole's twitter--

"ABLA is having some email issues. If you have emailed any of us and not heard anything, please do try your email again. #fb"

I'm guessing this doesn't go for queries?
...Oh, wait. I did get a confirmation. I guess that means I'm okay.

Well, here is a heads up for others who may have tried to email someone at Andrea Brown

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Just queried Mary Kole! But I didn't get a confirmation e-mail, so I'm not sure if it went through...

kposa

Registered
Reaction score
I just queried Kelly Sonnack and also didn't get the confirmation email. Is that supposed to come immediately?

rebelcheese

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'll query Ms. Rennert and see what happens. This agency is top-notch and has some real strong titles in its catalog so it can't hurt to try.

Araenvo

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonpclark.com
This agency seems to be pretty hot for children's / YA work - I sent a query off to Caryn Wiseman just now. American agencies not really something I know about, but their website is a great help. Great to see an agency that seems genuinley eager to help writers (a panicky, confused bunch at the best of times...!)
Choosing one of the agents does seem hard, but it seems that if one of them likes your work and knows another would like it more, they'd pass it along.
Here's hoping Ms Wiseman likes what she reads, for any of us!

boletusedulis

Ad Majorem Manuscript Gloriam
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bipolarjungle.blogspot.com

I just signed with Laura a few days ago. In my (very short) experience, she's a wonderful person and a force to be reckoned with. She has an amazing talent for inspiring confidence in your work. I'm super excited about working with her.

good luck with the partial!

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, sorry, I did some investigating and I should have announced it here: in the comments on Jennifer Laughran's last open thread post on her blog, she mentions that their auto-response is down following a server switch. So the fact that none of us got it is probably a good sign!

Araenvo

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonpclark.com
Oh man, sorry, I did some investigating and I should have announced it here: in the comments on Jennifer Laughran's last open thread post on her blog, she mentions that their auto-response is down following a server switch. So the fact that none of us got it is probably a good sign!

Ha, good reporting! You get a sticker.

EDIT: Actually, despite all the above, I did just get the confirmation:

Dear Author,

Thank you for your email.

Because of the high volume of queries we receive, we are unable to respond to every query.

If we are interested in your work, we will certainly follow up by email or phone. However, if you haven't heard from us within 6 to 8 weeks, please assume that we are passing on your project.

We do understand and appreciate the effort that goes into getting your work out, and we wish we had time to respond personally to all submissions. Unfortunately, this is no longer a business reality.

Wishing you the best,

Andrea Brown Literary Agency

Last edited:

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
boletusedulis, I totally missed your post. Congratulations! Laura is a top-notch agent - not that you need to be told!

bobbyray

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Don't know if it's true or not but there was some chatter on Twitter about the possibility that the AB agency is going into Ebooks. Has anyone heard anything about this? Wouldn't surprise me the way the whole print industry is headed.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody know if Mary is particularly swamped these days? I know she's been on vacation, and she's been to a bunch of conferences already this year, but she's had my revision for almost three months now. In all my correspondence with her, I've never known her to take that long! I won't nudge for a good while yet, though.

It seems like everything in publishing is moving slow so far this year.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Well, my query is a little outside her usual response time - I sent it on 4/18 and haven't heard anythign yet. I assumed she was really busy lately.