• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Andrea Brown Literary Agency

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Just an FYI to anyone who has a full out with Mary, or who is thinking of querying her soon: she requested my full this morning, and I sent it this afternoon. In her confirmation email (I love that she lets you know she's received it!), she stated she'd be out of the country until September 15th and would be getting back to me after that.

Thanks for the info!

ejwriter

lurk & learn
Registered
Reaction score
ejwriter: I have a question for you :)

You said that Jennifer excepted your MG, but I see you are also working on a YA.
So was jennifer open to you doing the YA next? I know some feel you should stick to one area so you can be marketed and become know to be a MG or a YA writer. I ask because I also have a YA I have a few ideas. As well I have a second in the series of for my MG in mind.

hi, sorry for the confusion. no, mine is YA not MG.
but she reps both. i can think of a lot of authors who write across both genres and a lot of agents who rep both, so no worries. :)

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
:) you must be very happy!
What questions did you ask her when you had your phone call?
Have been trying to think of some....

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Jenn L. sent me the most awesome email to let me know not to worry, that she was only up to reading fulls she had requested in April. Mine went out end of June, so it's going to be awhile until she gets to it.

She is SO made of wonderful, because she did not have to do that. Meanwhile, I can go back to NOT thinking about it...

EagerReader

Registered
Reaction score
I queried in May and received a polite rejection 4 weeks later.

ETA: Sorry, this is in response to ILove2Write's question.

Last edited:

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Cool, I'm an April request. Guess I'll go get a chicken and start sacrificing to the god of agents. :)

SeymourPats

Registered
Reaction score
Just an FYI to anyone who has a full out with Mary, or who is thinking of querying her soon: she requested my full this morning, and I sent it this afternoon. In her confirmation email (I love that she lets you know she's received it!), she stated she'd be out of the country until September 15th and would be getting back to me after that.

Thanks Lachrymal! If you don't mind sharing, when did you query Mary Kole? I queried her on the 26th and I wonder if she didn't read it yet or if she passed on it. Thanks!

lachrymal

Registered
Reaction score
Hi SeymourPats,
I queried 8/19 and she requested 8/26. She recently had a blog post (kidlit.com) about how she reads queries, and you might want to check it out. It explains why she takes a little longer on some queries--and it's a good thing! However, she's also going out of town, so that might explain a longer wait as well. She always responds, though, based on all the info out there about her. Good luck!

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Jennifer Laughran a few days ago. Anyone heard any movement?

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
Ejwriter - can you share how long Jennifer took with you?

I know it's just been a few days for me, but I want to know how it rolled out for you!

ejwriter

lurk & learn
Registered
Reaction score
i think my request was fairly quick, but it might have been just good timing.
if you follow her blog, you'll see she has just moved across the country and is entering a very busy time of the year with her clients. i would go with the guidelines on ABLit's website of 6-8 weeks for query responses. that way you'll be pleasantly surprised if you hear back sooner! :)

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Jen reads her queries pretty quickly, depending on her schedule. But since her cross-country move was intended to let her focus on agenting, she should be sticking to that. I think she responded to my original query in about two weeks? This was before her move and I know she's cleaned out her email box at least once since then and was looking for more queries.

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
Right, thats why I queried her as she seemed keen for more queries!! The alternative was Mary.

Last edited:

EagerReader

Registered
Reaction score
Stats for M. Kole:
query 8/11
request 8/19
rejection 9/14

She's awesome, too bad it was a fail.

RRK

I named the dog Indiana
Registered
Reaction score
Stats for M. Kole:
query 8/11
request 8/19
rejection 9/14

She's awesome, too bad it was a fail.

Sorry, EagerReader. At least she was pretty quick? I've been waiting on L. Rennert for almost four months now. Anyone have stats on her response time for fulls?

Yoshima

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should nudge. It'll be 12 weeks on my 30 page partial with Jen Rofe tomorrow. Their site says somewhere that patience is key, but...

Anybody know if nudging is the kiss of death with this agency?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Nudging Jen Rofe never got me a response, but she did eventually respond on her own to my full (6 months).

Status querying Jenn Laughran on a different project got me a status update, which was basically that she hadn't gotten to it but thought it was almost to the top of the pile (but it still took a month before she got to the full).

Which reminds me, I'm overdue to SQ JennL on the full she has now too.