• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Andrea Brown Literary Agency

inspiredbymusic

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Jennifer Rofe on 11/21 and got an autoreply (nothing else yet).

VZW, If you don't mind sharing, which agent did you query?

VZW

Registered
Reaction score
Mary Kole = dream agent. Le sigh. Will query again eventually with another project but will wait.

saphirablue84

Fighting off ninja plot bunnies
Registered
Reaction score
Decided to add my voice/experience here. I queried Mary Kole on 12/12 and got a very nice rejection today, 12/16. She seems very nice and I will definitely query her again with my next project after such a nice experience. :)

Wisteria Vine

Registered
Reaction score
Just queried Laura Rennert, one of my dream agents. Queried her a long time ago with my first project and she never responded. I'm hoping for better luck with this new one. Keeping my fingers crossed!

TeacherLady

Registered
Reaction score
Advice needed (also posted on query tracker). I sent first couple of pages of mss to Ms. Kole this summer for a contest she did on her blog. She complimented the pages and asked for more info and asked that I query her when I had finished it. I queried her in September, and when I didn't hear back, nudged in November. (Thought it might have gotten lost.) I know she sends rejections, but I still haven't heard anything. I don't want to nudge again, but if she didn't get them, I don't want to give it up. Suggestions?

(Edit 2/22) Saw where she had sent rejections only days after receiving a query, so assumed mine got lost and resent in January. I haven't heard anything, so I'm assuming this is a no response = no. Surely all three emails weren't lost, considering all other queries have been getting through to other agents. Closing it out because I think it would be unprofessional to send any more. I'll admit, I'm a little sad about it. I'm really impressed with Mary Kole, and I kind of had high hopes she would be interested.

Last edited:

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
@TeacherLady, I don't have any suggestions beyond what you've already done. It seems a bit odd she hasn't replied to your nudges, but she's probably busy. I hear she has a "maybe pile" so there might be hope. I'm thinking you should receive a response by early March at the least, considering your re-query last month -- maybe.

I also thought Mary Kole was a "NR = No" agent, as the submission guidelines imply on their site. So I closed out my query sent in around the end of December (the 30th I think). Today I got a personalized rejection. She was high on my wishlist and is a great agent.

TeacherLady

Registered
Reaction score
Received my rejection today. Surprised, as I had closed this out, but disappointed nonetheless. I will admit I was really hoping she would want to see more. She seems to be such a great agent - good luck to all those still waiting.

Thanks, jehhillenberg, and sorry about your R.

Luckily, had a partial request from another agency yesterday, so that did soften the blow. But only a bit. : )

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
Received my rejection today. Surprised, as I had closed this out, but disappointed nonetheless. I will admit I was really hoping she would want to see more. She seems to be such a great agent - good luck to all those still waiting.

Thanks, jehhillenberg, and sorry about your R.

Luckily, had a partial request from another agency yesterday, so that did soften the blow. But only a bit. : )

Thanks. And congrats on the partial!

lyrwriter

A Fuzzy Mango With Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fuzzymango.wordpress.com
I pitched to Ms. Kole at a conference a few months ago. She was quite nice, but I could tell from her reaction to the pitch that she wasn't all that into it. She mentioned the difficulty of selling boy POV in YA fiction, as well as the fact that the (admittedly bizarre) premise struck her as more MG than YA, but she told me to go ahead and send her stuff. Anyhow, sent a query and pages on 4/1/12 and got a form rejection today. Ah, well. So it goes! I may query ABLA again for a different project, if needs be. They seem like an awesome agency. :)

JayliaDarkness

Stepping through the Shadows
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Mary with my young adult steampunk in January 2012. In March, I received an offer of representation from another agent, which I accepted. I heard back from Mary today asking for the full if I would make some adjustments. I told her I already had an agent – who had suggested those same adjustments. Mary emailed back her congratulations and told me that if I ever need representation in the future, to contact her. She seemed very professional and kind.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on your offer, JayliaDarkness! Best of luck on submission!

MatthewB

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats JayliaDarkness!

I sent a query out to Jen Rofé from AB this week and I’m anxiously waiting to hear back from her. Anyone have any idea how long she takes to respond?

Liz_cm

New, but ready and revving to go
Registered
Reaction score
Just queried Laura Rennert, one of my dream agents. Queried her a long time ago with my first project and she never responded. I'm hoping for better luck with this new one. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Wish you the best of luck! I am also hoping when I start querying to send my piece to her as well.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have stats on Jen L.? She's had my full for 2+ months. Now, I know that's not all that long for a full, but I'm still losing hope.

I checked on QT, but there's not much there.

Can anyone instill me with some hope?

:D

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
JennL has taken 3-5 months on fulls of mine in the past.

IrisFlower81

Flower Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Laura Rennert on June 21st. Still waiting to hear back--they have a six week window, I believe--but I'm not terribly optimistic. I don't think they respond unless they want material.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Woo-hoo!

EQ'd Caryn Wiseman on 8/1 and just got a full request! She said she may take 8 weeks. Super excited for my first ABLA request. It's middle grade contemporary (multicultural).