• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Andrea Brown Literary Agency

asyouwish

Registered
Reaction score
Read as many interviews as you can find. Sometimes you will find that you click more with one agent than another.

Dave Veri

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Laura Rennert

Yes. I queried her today. Got a partial request back in four hours. She's prompt, I'll say that. I sent her a YA or New Adult story that related a bit to Rumble, by Ellen Hopkins. Fingers crossed.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Laura Rennert with a YA Post-Apocalyptic on 9/30/14 received auto-reply received same day. No response and assumed no.

Dave Veri

Registered
Reaction score
The website says 6–8 weeks for consideration

Laura Rennert requested a partial four weeks ago now. Not sure how long she'll take to decide about it, but I'll hold off a nudge for her until then.

Dave Veri

Registered
Reaction score
Laura Rennert sent a rejection after 7 weeks

Laura Rennert sent the loveliest, most thoughtful letter but it was a rejection at last. Took her 7 weeks, right on schedule. Nice of her to say this: "I'm sure I'll be kicking myself down the road because I have no doubt that you will find a good home for STRINGLESS." Hope she's right. Not sure if that's a boilerplate sentence or not, but I'll take it as encouragement—might as well. What's next? Marietta Zacker? How's the reading going? Best of luck to all.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Laura Rennert sent the loveliest, most thoughtful letter but it was a rejection at last. Took her 7 weeks, right on schedule. Nice of her to say this: "I'm sure I'll be kicking myself down the road because I have no doubt that you will find a good home for STRINGLESS." Hope she's right. Not sure if that's a boilerplate sentence or not, but I'll take it as encouragement—might as well. What's next? Marietta Zacker? How's the reading going? Best of luck to all.

For what it's worth, Dave, I don't think that's a boilerplate sentence at all. She wouldn't say it if she didn't mean it. :) Good luck with your other requests!

Dave Veri

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Krista

I guess I should take my encouragement where I find it.
This is the second.
Thanks again.

Fairies wear bOOts:)

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Laura Rennert asks for a synopsis? I wanted to start a new thread but I thought it would get moved to this one... :( What I've gathered form this thread is that she answers very quickly for partial/fulls, rarely gives representation and to assume rejection should you not hear from her in 6 to 8 weeks. She's also got an awesome rep and is very friendly! But anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone knows if she asks for a synopsis like some agents do. I feel like a lot of agents ask for one but don't list it. (You find out when they request your materials...)

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Laura Rennert asks for a synopsis? I wanted to start a new thread but I thought it would get moved to this one... :( What I've gathered form this thread is that she answers very quickly for partial/fulls, rarely gives representation and to assume rejection should you not hear from her in 6 to 8 weeks. She's also got an awesome rep and is very friendly! But anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone knows if she asks for a synopsis like some agents do. I feel like a lot of agents ask for one but don't list it. (You find out when they request your materials...)

It looks like you do not need to include a synopsis according to their submission guidelines. Just the query and the first ten pages of your MS. The submission guidelines are right on their website.

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
I know I saw that. I meant, is she going to ask for a synopsis when and if she asked for a partial/full, as in an addition to just these chapters or pages, which would be sort of like 'extra' you know, not with the original query + ten pages... ? lol, I thought I looked it up pretty clearly but I did not see weather she would ask for a synopsis as a follow up with a partial or full. I know some agents don't include it but when they request your materials they say, 'include a synopsis' with no forewarning on their website.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I know I saw that. I meant, is she going to ask for a synopsis when and if she asked for a partial/full, as in an addition to just these chapters or pages, which would be sort of like 'extra' you know, not with the original query + ten pages... ? lol, I thought I looked it up pretty clearly but I did not see weather she would ask for a synopsis as a follow up with a partial or full. I know some agents don't include it but when they request your materials they say, 'include a synopsis' with no forewarning on their website.

Ah. That I don't know. I'd say, though, if you're going to start querying, it's good to have a synopsis ready just in case.

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
I do. But I just want to know in advance, has Laura Rennert asked for a synopsis from anyone on here? Or has it ever happened to you where an agent informed you you needed a synopsis with the partial/full after reading your query and sample pages but with no forewarning on their site? Any experiences? xo

tsharpe

Registered
Reaction score
I do. But I just want to know in advance, has Laura Rennert asked for a synopsis from anyone on here? Or has it ever happened to you where an agent informed you you needed a synopsis with the partial/full after reading your query and sample pages but with no forewarning on their site? Any experiences? xo

While I haven't queried Laura Rennert, I've been asked many times by agents to send a synopsis with a partial or full when it isn't asked for in the agent's initial query submission guidelines. In my experience, some agents like synopsis, some dislike them, some are kind of "meh."

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
lol. I'm 'meh' about them... but I know it can be a different story from the agents perspective... It would help pinpoint work they are not interested in faster....... but I have to say writing one is grueling in a book with a lot of essential backstory (harder than a query). Anyone else know if LR asks for a synopsis with materials request?

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Jennifer March Soloway (she's a new agent) and got a request for more material 12 days later. Not sure how long to expect the wait on the response to be. I replied to her email (which was a reply to my query) and got the auto-response message to queries again when I sent it. Is this what everyone else does - reply to the original thread for requested materials so it all stays in the same thread? I've read different things about how you should change the email subject to "Requested Materials" - some say not to change it as then you lose the original thread though.

Does anyone have any other updates with ABLA?

Last edited:

madjack

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any info on ABLA, but as far as the subject, I always add "Requested Material" (without the quotes) before the rest of the subject line and keep the subject line intact. :)

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any info on ABLA, but as far as the subject, I always add "Requested Material" (without the quotes) before the rest of the subject line and keep the subject line intact. :)

Thank you!

XSnapdragonx

Registered
Reaction score
Is Laura Rennert closed to queries? The agency website doesn't say so, but querytracker says she is.