• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

NYC Pitch Conference (formerly NYC Pitch and Shop)

Histry Nerd

Moving Forward!
Registered
Reaction score
Texas. It's like a whole 'nother country.
Greetings, all -

I found this conference linked from the Historical Novel Society website:

http://nycpitchconference.com/

It is a joint conference between Algonkian Novel Workshops and New York Writers Workshops, and there are a few editors whose names I recognize on the faculty. It looks like a great opportunity, and from where I sit it looks like a legitimate deal--anybody know anything about it?

Thanks!
HN

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Judging from their site, I'd say it's not for the faint of heart or thin of skin. :cool: They do tout solid results, though; just make sure you understand what you're getting into, and what restrictions there might be afterward on the networking you do.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Histry Nerd said:
Thanks, Cao. I had pretty much the same impression. I hadn't thought of it restricting future networking, though--can you explain?

Thanks!
HN
Sure thing. This bit from their "Details" page caught my eye:

Please note that any and all contacts with publishing house editors--whether by mail, phone, or other means--are not allowed before or after the conference, i.e., unless and until a specific editor requests to see more of your work. If you have any questions about this issue, please speak with the NYC '06 staff.
True, I presume the editors in question wouldn't normally be approachable directly/without an agent (hence the need to pay for the conference), and this is obviously to keep attendees from hounding the editors off-campus with other mss, etc., but this could mean you couldn't talk shop if you ran into them at another conference or something. Yeah, an extreme interpretation, but I'm a paranoid. :cool:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
That place is always worth a read if only for the comments. I especially liked: "There is no anger here, only mockery. And you make a lovely pinata."

That would make a lovely greeting card.

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
And you are angry that I started a blog stating my opinions on the publishing industry? Holy Crapoly--there's about half a million of blogs out there--happy hunting!

BTW--I've got nothing to hide. I'll keep posting--you people can flame all you want. Have a fab day, kittens!

This makes a nice ensemble to this:

The authors have deleted this blog. The content is no longer available.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I gave her a week-long time out. She may well be back here in a few days. By visiting Making Light and attempting to return volleys she's shown she's got cojones.

Or something.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
veinglory said:
I especially liked: "There is no anger here, only mockery. And you make a lovely pinata."
This rather sounds like a riff on, or at least a second cousin twice removed of, what has become known as The Scalzi Rejoinder. Like so:

an Electrolyte comment thread from March 2005 said:
sdn: i think we all need to drop this and move on.
John Scalzi: But... there's still more candy inside him!
I'm surprised it hasn't been wikipedia'd yet.

Anyway, off to catch up on the Making Light comment swarm now.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I like this part of the deleted blog:

Even in a small town, you can only remember the names of so many postmen, people your sister works with, that temp from ‘95, drinking buddies. It’s getting so bad that this guy came up to the other day in Wal-Mart with his friend and said hello to me warmly, using my first name. I looked blankly back at both of them. Who the hell were they? How do they know me? Why do I have Pre-senile Dementia in my thirties?

So from now on, I’m just going to tell people I was in a car accident a couple of years ago and say: “I got most of my faculties back after some rehab, but I still can’t place names and faces.”

I’d rather have people feel sorry for me than think I was stupid.

So even if she did have any inside contacts in publishing, looks like she wouldn't be able to remember who they were.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
She changed her posts before deleting the blog. I distinctly remember reading one of those "the industry hates new writers" rants on that first page, and a link to some other writer who posted a "the industry hates you and wants you to fail" posts. Plus, she recommends in the cached version that readers check Miss Snark. She definitely didn't do that before.

How sad. Not only does she do the blog, she doesn't even have the integrity to let her blatherings stand as they were. I'm guessing when all the outcry started she changed the posts.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow...you have dinner and get some sleep, and all hell breaks loose. :D

At least I managed to read (and laugh through) the Making Light comments.

~JerseyGirl

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
K1P1 said:
I like this part of the deleted blog:
<snip>
It’s getting so bad that this guy came up to the other day in Wal-Mart with his friend and said hello to me warmly, using my first name.
</snip>
This guy came up to the other day in Walmart? What was the other day doing in Walmart? And was it the other day's friend or the guy's friend? And if he came up to the other day, why did he use PBs name? Unless they have the same name....

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Gads, I wish I had time to read all the ML comments.

Jackie, newly published author, shakes head sadly

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've read that thread at Making Light slowly through the day. What a treat it's been. What a silly little PB.