Historical Novel Society

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Short list not up yet!

Don't know, thank you for asking.

This competition is only in its second year so I haven't been able to analyse it well. I did not make the short list last year much to my chagrin. I've sort of become accustomed to making the short list in the carefully chosen competitions I enter and last year's judge likes my historical stories usually!

The entry this year turned into a novel so I'm happy with that, but I did also do the one page -360 words - comp entry. I can't write flash fiction so this was a challenge. I was pleased with my entry but I don't think it's winner standard. Slightly lengthened to 600 words it is all ready for a market I know will accept it and I think I've mastered the technique of short shorts though I do hate writing them. Seems very constipated writing to me!

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
The Conference

You mean to tell me that none of you Americans, all of you writing historical fiction, are going to the HNS Conference?

With that line up of agents and editors going it would have been a marvellous chance to learn what they're looking for even if your novel was only half finished.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
pdr said:
You mean to tell me that none of you Americans, all of you writing historical fiction, are going to the HNS Conference?

With that line up of agents and editors going it would have been a marvellous chance to learn what they're looking for even if your novel was only half finished.

Could you provide some info on this conference -- an URL, perhaps, and whatever else you can contribute?

Thanks.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
Histry Nerd said:
I'm trying to work out the finances. If I can figure that out, you can bet your happy tailfeathers I'll be there.

HN

I second this one. I'd love to be able to join HNS (for one) and go to the conference (for two), but can't afford either one at present.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
UK Conference.

The HNS is British based. There is an annual UK conference. I'll post details as and when I get the confirmed ones. The US Conference is new and organised by the US members.

Frankly I'd go without a meal a day to get to this year's US conference if I had a book of interest to the US market. The line up of agents, editors and publishers is impressive and you can (the Conference is set up to only have 300 people max) talk to them and even have a pitching session. Mind you I live in a small country where I could get from one end to the other far more quickly than you guys can get around the US so I don't fully understand the logistics or expenses involved for you.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
pdr said:
The HNS is British based. There is an annual UK conference. I'll post details as and when I get the confirmed ones. The US Conference is new and organised by the US members.

Frankly I'd go without a meal a day to get to this year's US conference if I had a book of interest to the US market. The line up of agents, editors and publishers is impressive and you can (the Conference is set up to only have 300 people max) talk to them and even have a pitching session. Mind you I live in a small country where I could get from one end to the other far more quickly than you guys can get around the US so I don't fully understand the logistics or expenses involved for you.

Round trip air fare from where I am would run about $1000 or so, plus with the job I have the timing couldn't be worse. The time between April and July is just nasty, and time off is out of the question (which is something I'd need to take to attend). It's hard enough to squeeze out good writing time during that period.

But I always keep the Society on the "do to" list, and maybe this year I'll be able to join (provided the legistature bothers to give us a pay raise...one of the joys of working for the state in the US-the Feds are much more generous).

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
pdr said:
The HNS is British based. There is an annual UK conference. I'll post details as and when I get the confirmed ones.

Thanks! I'll keep my eyes open for that. It's not possible for me to go to a conference in the US right now, but would like to see about the UK conference. I

vrabinec

Dipwad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vrabinec-fred.blogspot.com
If only I knew that I'd be done with my MS by the time it rolled around, I'd register. Unfortunately, with several chapters left to write, a thousand pounds of fat to trim and more than a few polishings left for me to slog through, there's no guarantee I can be done. And I'm not ready to dedicate a weekend to anything until I'm done. Though, it would be cool just to meet Kristin Nelson; I love her blog.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Go and snoop a little!

Find out what everyone thinks they're looking for. Line up a couple of publishers and agents in your mind who you'd like to represent you. Seek out a few kindred soul writers as beta readers. Enjoy the authors' workshops and their talks. You will come home refreshed and full of writing energy and your novel will be better for it.

Histry Nerd

Moving Forward!
Registered
Reaction score
Texas. It's like a whole 'nother country.
Finally Got Signed Up

See y'all in Albany!

HN

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Quick!

The US Conference organisers have just informed me that there are only 40 places left out of the 300 and it seems there's a bit of a rush on for them so if you want to go this year sign up now!

The UK Conference is usually held in October and I've still not received any details.

Renee Russell

Registered
Reaction score
Gah!! I can't afford any conference fees this year, but would LOVE to go to this conference.

Zixi

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gayleckrause.com
HNS Conference

I'm packing for the HNS conference now. Does anyone know whether dress is casual like jeans and sandals, or business-like, better pants and dressy blouses and shoes?

Three hundred people are a whole lot of participants. I've never been to anything this big. I'm kind of intimidated, though I've been to Rutgers twice and numerous SCBWI conferences in two states.

Advice from anyone for a first-timer? Thanks!

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
This will be my first HNS conference too (so what do I know?) but I'm bringing a range - mostly business casual. If you go on the website you can see pics from last year and get a feeeling for how people were dressed.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Please, please?

Come on you people who actually got to the HNS Conference. We're dying to know what was good, bad and helpful for you individually.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
For anyone who went to the conference, please post your comments. Thanks.

I found out about it too late and, thus, couldn't go.

funidream

Registered
Reaction score
I've been meaning to post with a report -

Overall, I really enjoyed the conference. It was fun to meet and mingle with like minds. The majority of the attendees were yet to be published writers.

The venue was very nice, the food was good. Of the panel discussions I attended, I would say 50% were very worthwhile, and 50% were meh.

I went there to meet and shmooze with published authors in hopes of getting them to blurb my book (fingers crossed on that, I have some hot irons in the fire now) and also to meet reviewers.

I did not partake in any of the meet the agent/editor sessions (8 minute pitch sessions) but speaking to some of the attendees that did pitch, I would say they found the experience valuable, but maybe a little disheartening. Irene Goodman made several general pronouncements - one being that historical fiction was a hot genre. Another was pertaining to the buying audience being mainly female, so stories featuring female protaganists were good. England/Tudor settings are good. American settings are bad. Since both of the books I just sold to Berkley/Penguin are American settings - colonial frontier and revolutionary New York - I thought that was funny.

My favorite events were Bernard Cornwell's keynote speech and solo presentation where he spoke abaout his road to publication, and answered questions on his writing method and technique. He was a very entertaining speaker.

And in the crowd, I actually found History Nerd (one of the posters here), or I should say, he found me. What a nice, nice guy!

Once my book is published, I would consider attending again if I could get to be on a panel or two. I think that is a great way to market to a large group of dedicated historical fiction readers. From what I understand, the next conference (2008) will be in London. The 2009 location has not yet been decided, but they are considering locations in the midwest this time around.

I had a great time - my favorite thing was hanging around with a bunch of people who love to read and write historical fiction. Yep, that was the best part.

funidream