How'd You Find This Site?

Naomi B.

Registered
Reaction score
More recently, I got here by googling different agent names, found the bewares/review threads. Also knew about it from years ago from basic googling. Finally decided to join this Spring. Glad I did.

frederickd

Registered
Reaction score
3-4 different Yahoo! Answers listed this place as #1 when I searched "best writers forum"

cprent11

Registered
Reaction score
I actually found this via an agent I queried. They weren't interested in my work but provided some information on forums and other resources that might be helpful to me as feedback.

Akragth

Registered
Reaction score
Recommended by a friend when I mentioned I'd like to, one day, get the nonsense I write published. I saw all the useful posts, and thought that I'd like to join in with that.

Trevy

Registered
Reaction score
I came across boardreader.com on a blog I was reading. I clicked "forums" and searched for "writing". This was the first result and I was impressed by the welcoming community and organization.

Go internet.

Mudcat

Ba-chewy chomp
Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember how I found it as it was a while ago. I probably just googled some combo of public forum, humor, writer, general.

Anyway I haven't posted in awhile and my true motive with this post is to see what I look like and if I have an avatar/sig/titles and whatnot.

When did I sign up? How many posts do I have?

What kind of organism am I? . . .

mandibles1

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
A former client of mine who also writes recommended this site to me a couple of years ago when he found out that I also write. I immediately went home and added the site to my favorites but have just recently gotten around to joining and getting involved. Time flies when you're working...

Rubywritings

Registered
Reaction score
I did a Google search for the best writing forums and this was the second link under WritingForum.org but I really like this site. It's simple and helpful nothing too complicated just perfect for me. :)

Marisa

Registered
Reaction score
researching the net

I found the site while researching on google and this site came up.
I went to it and it looks like it is well run

lrose20

Registered
Reaction score
I was on the website for the author of the Divergent series, and she was talking about having beta readers. She mentioned Absolute Write as a very good resource, so I meandered over here

DeborahC

Registered
Reaction score
I found you on a google search for writing forums. Your site came up 5th on the page.

LeiLani

Registered
Reaction score
I was referred here by a writer friend. She said it's a great resource board for writers, editors - anyone in the trade or interested in going there.

MegOverman

Swords, Sorcerers, and Stuff
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.megoverman.com
A writer friend sent me as well. I'm nearing the end of my critique run on the WIP and am about to be in the beta reader / revision stage of things, so coming out of my writing hole seemed like a good idea.

Moont

Registered
Reaction score
While searching for tips on better writing, like anand, I came across this page http://www.thebookdesigner.com/2010/02/top-5-discussion-forums-for-self-publishers/` and here I am...

Gwoof

This is my No Fear Year. Bring it!
Registered
Reaction score
I need a beta reader. A guy in my new writing group wants to swap novels with me but he's busy right now with getting married and honeymooning and getting his husband a green card and moving. Pffff! Stoopid life stuff. . . . I mean. Yay! Love is awesome! So happy for him.
A romance writer in the group said she found incredible beta partners at AbsoluteWrite. I LOVED the name and actually the words were cemented in my mind as I took the pun another step to: if you don't exercise your writes, you'll lose them. It's poor grammar but it has put the fear in me that I've taken too much time off from writing. I need to write. Even if it's writing a reply on a community forum. Putting one word after another on a regular basis will keep growing my skill set just as putting one foot in front of the other on a regular basis keeps my ass from growing too big for my purple velvet palazzo pants.
Glad to be here. Looking forward to meeting like-minded folk.

sic_scripsit

l'il cat inna big tophat
Registered
Reaction score
Three years ago, I was having a conversation with a March hare. It was a rainy September and he was rather despondent. We were both taking shelter under an overpass. He smelled of too much gin and the bitterness of the unwashed and despondent.

Apparently, it had been a bad year for him, which drove him to drink. He made passing mention of having appeared in a novel many years back in his youth. Flush with success at the time he had opened a line of credit, not realizing that fictional characters do not receive residuals from book sales. Ever since he had been hounded from one town to the next by creditors - with actual hounds.

"It's all crap." He kept saying between hiccups and pulls on a bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag; a bottle that smelled suspiciously of varnish.

"The world is crap... all it is..."

I felt sorry for him. I truly did. I'm not much of a fan of hounds, either. Especially when they smell blood. But, the simple fact of the matter is, at the time I hadn't eaten in three days. He seemed miserable enough company alive...

...so I pounced on his back and crushed his spine between my teeth.

After I ate, I was sick for three days. God only knows what he'd been drinking. I was desperate for water. I crawled out into the middle of the road, fully expecting to end it all.

Instead, I was fortunate enough to be picked up by a pair of passing motorists. Eventually, they adopted me as their beloved house pet. I've been living in the lap of luxury ever since.

Last week, I happened to remember the March hare. The dining room floors were being stripped. It must have been the smell of varnish.

I thought to myself, "That old March hare. He never did make much of himself - not even a lousy meal. And what have I done with myself in three years? Nothing, but grow fat on tuna flavored kibbles and the occasional jumbo shrimp dropped at cocktail parties."

Then, it occurred to me... I have a lot of stories to tell.

Fictional characters don't get residuals. But writers do. "Hey, it may not be much..." I thought to myself. "But maybe I could at least get that reverse-neuter operation I've been wanting and have some fun on my nights out."

So, I rolled off the keyboard, grabbed the mouse (for a quick snack), and did a google search on "best writing forums".

Gotta start somewhere, ya know... ;^)

Last edited:

Mikjael

Registered
Reaction score
A fellow writing friend told me I should come here in order to make some new connections and learn some new skills, and eventually get a decent review.