How'd You Find This Site?

Nuoddo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.minddribbles.com
In the worst way possible...

I found this site in probably one of the worst ways possible...I've been getting nowhere with my agent, so I googled him to see if I could find out anything. Should have done that before I gave him my money! Turns out there's a tasty thread all about my agent. While it doesn't sound like he's an outright scammer, he's on the worst agent list and he's definitely not a pro.

Now that I'm here, I'm enjoying the community. I'm a bit of a voyeur, but I will post from time to time.

Manxom Vroom

A proper fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jvalka.blogspot.com
Nuoddo said:
I found this site in probably one of the worst ways possible...I've been getting nowhere with my agent, so I googled him to see if I could find out anything. Should have done that before I gave him my money! Turns out there's a tasty thread all about my agent. While it doesn't sound like he's an outright scammer, he's on the worst agent list and he's definitely not a pro.

Now that I'm here, I'm enjoying the community. I'm a bit of a voyeur, but I will post from time to time.

Hello, fellow Michigander! Giving money to agents is a definite no-no. One of the cardinal rules is that any agent who charges a fee is one to avoid. Don't feel bad though - I fell for it once, too.

juttaprincess

Hi there! I'm new!

I found this web site while looking up information on Sherry Fine. Ya'll comments about her were VERY helpful. I didn't send any money and I am sooooo glad I found this site. I wrote a children's book and I am trying to publish it. I am an elementary teacher and writing this book was one of the BEST things I've ever done. I LOVE it, but how do I get it out so others can LOVE it to?????? Any advice???? :hi:

JohnOBX

I was referred to site by a fellow forum member from the Writers Digest forum. Still poking around but I like what I see so far.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
When I set out to right a novel I wasn't sure what the word count should be, and I searched Yahoo for 'novel word length' or some such. Naturally this site came up, and has been a tremendous help to me. I just recently joined but have been lurking about reading posts for several months now.

Lydia Manx

Registered
Reaction score
The first acceptance agent letter I did a secondary more detailed search and found the site.

I didn't mail the synopsis or requested 3 chapters.

Since then I have been lurking on and off.

SiljaFromFinland

My body is my temple
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.siljablog.blogspot.com
One of those saved links...

Being an artist since I was born and an active photographer since January 2005 I´ve visited all kind of forums on the internet. By an occasion I clicked through the link to Absolute Writer a week ago, one of those saved links from before, and when gradually exploring this forum I believe my conclusions are valid that this is the right place for me for sure. I haven´t been focused on the writing before but now I can see it got the highest priority, as an artist the writing is another way of expressing myself. The brush is all the words I can use for creating an illusion for the reader like painting a picture. I´ll keep in mind to write like a script writer because I see the world like a film, I´m much more an onlooker what´s going on than a partipiciant of it.
I´ve touched down in all kind of art- and photography places and forums but much more like a tourist or a visitor who knows you´re going to leave soon.

To me it´s a totally new experience to find myself a real home on the internet as I´ve never even expected anything like that. And I´m one of those who´s feeling homeless in the world as well, my home is where my body is. Absolute Write let me settle down with a feeling of that I´m just back home and as I log out it´s with a feeling of leaving home.

My genre is and will always be pictures, in spite of all failured efforts being active among those collegues of arts and photography. Being an extremely creative artist I´m very easy going when it comes to make pictures so I always believed and took for granted that my loop is among artists though it never felt comfortable. My studio is where my body happen to be. As a photographer I´m bringing my digital compact with me and I just stop and shoot as I spot a motif, not using neither filters or lenses or tripods and lately the output of work the photographs are made without cropping or post-processing.

On the contrary, writing to me is hard. That is heavy to work and that is heavy to row and I´m very heavy-footed when approaching the writing-tasks. There´s a power of resistance for me to struggle with when writing. I think slow and I type very, very, very slowly and I´m not even sure if I like it. But as far as I can remember I´ve always been told I should be a writer or be a journalist but it has only made me twist and turn.

Actually, I don´t like writing very much so being online is a big adventure for me to explore this genre of my creativity, a rambling expedition on one of those saved links of mine...

Greetings $ilja

Last edited:

nunchuckgirl

Registered
Reaction score
All I can say is "Thank you, Lucky Stars" for leading me to this website. After you've all saved me from a horrible fate with Children's Literary Agency, I feel right at home here. I found this forum while google-ing CLA.

Lavendar

Registered
Reaction score
I got here through P&E trying to find a publisher and am so glad I did. Didn't find a publisher (yet to come) but found this site.

Last edited:

FleshyHeadedMutant

A poster on another writers forum mentioned the water cooler in one on his posts. This forum is a lot more active than the one I came from, so I decided to sign up.

BristolSquare

Yahoo! There are a few others out there who love the short story!

What a great site. Newbies at short story publishing, we've visited a LOT of boards and search engines... "Romance short story" on Yahoo led us to the water cooler and a disscussion of when/if the sex scene was needed. It was AW member responses that convinced us this might be a place where we might fit in and grow... Dale and Brenda Westfall - Bristol Square MagaZines (Only G-Rated Stories will be considered).

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
sc211 said:
...so I was wondering, how'd you find this site?
I was googling a little background research on an agent and a link popped up to some comments made about [them] at this site.

I poked around a little, liked what I saw and signed up.

So far, so good!

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
How'd I find this site?

*lights a cigarette and leans back*

You really want to ask that, son?

A man came up to me, wearing a cheap suit. He looked like he was carved out of stone, carved by a man with shaking hands. He had a gun, of course, and I had a face, and the one was pointed at the other. I sipped gin, he snapped orders, I snickered, he snarled.

It's here or the cement shoes, buddy. Here or the cement shoes...

Susan Flemming

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanflemming.com
I first heard of this site through the many, many blogs which referenced AW being shut down after complaints made by Barbara Bauer to their host server.

I signed up once AW was back on and running and was really enjoying reading through the different threads, contributing where I could and then the new server accidently deleting everything from May 23rd. So now I'm starting all over again.

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Susan Flemming said:
I first heard of this site through the many, many blogs which referenced AW being shut down after complaints made by Barbara Bauer to their host server...
Hm. Juicy. Who is the Barbara Bauer person and what did she complain about?

RMJ

Hi, I'm a new member as of a minute ago. I followed a link from one of the writers pages at Publishers Marketplace.