How'd You Find This Site?

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or Why I fled "Poetry Free For All"

My recent attack of must-write-something-itis presents most often as an itch that, when scratched, breaks out in little poems. After a recent outbreak, I found a site a few months back ostensibly dedicated to poetry, but actually trending more towards BDSM. I wasn't offended so much as baffled.

So, I went in search of a Legitimate Bad-ass Poetry Site. Enter: Poetry Free For All ("pffa"). Quickly registering, I dutifully began, as requested, to wade through one insufferable FAQ after another. Clearly there were secret handshakes (and more!) to be learned, all with an eye to worshiping the god-Mods of pffa, in slavish devotion to The pffa aesthetic.

"Is it me," I wondered? So, I googled "pffa" and stumbled upon a thread on this site taking the Lords Of Pffa to task. I fell hopelessly in love. Let anyone who knows of a reason why AW and I should not be joined speak now...

Last edited:

Papaya

Unfold your own myth. - Rumi
Registered
Reaction score
I found AW while writing the second draft of my novel. Midway through the draft, I did a web search to see if the hell I was going through was normal. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224683 "Why is the second draft so hard?" came up in the web search, and I quickly learned it is a normal part of the novel writing experience.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
A poster here is on another forum where we are both long-time regulars.

But I've tried to leave my tinfoil hat at the door here :D

ladyrosaline

Registered
Reaction score
I was entering a poetry conest...Someone left a commet at the bottom of the page stating this site was rude.. Sounded perfect for me.

Rbrown8384

New Fish; Exploring the Written Sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I joined Guru.com and had a few pages of my book edited by an editor. She gave me the link to this site and said I could learn a lot here, so here I am. It does have a lot of helpful tips as well as a community that helps one another. It is very nice!

Last edited:

afyregirl

Learning to be less fragile
Registered
Reaction score
I googled "beta readers" trying to figure out what that meant and clicked around. Glad I found you all (and glad I know what beta readers are!)

MsPuck

...But you can call me Kristen.
Registered
Reaction score
Many moons ago, I found it through a link on a completely different writing forum. I could not tell you which one.

Thorburgh

Registered
Reaction score
Stumbled upon this cite by accident while looking for help on writing my short stories for school

TreeJet

lost in wild thought
Registered
Reaction score
googled beta readers if I'm not mistaken.

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
I googled writing forums awhile ago... and now I've been lurking for awhile before I finally summoned up the guts to get on board!

S. L. Saboviec

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saboviec.com
I googled a literary agent that was on my list of "maybe" to query. A thread from about three years ago was in the top five.

OC#50

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I found AWWC about a month ago when googling the rep of a publisher who was on the verge (and did) offer me a contract for my novel. Thanks to the lengthy thread on AWWC about this publisher, I was made aware that it was a vanity press. I don't remember the exact poster's quote, but it was similar to "Why sell books out of the back of a pickup along side of the road when you can get them on the shelves inside a mall" really helped educate me in my early travels on the road to getting published.

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
I found AWWC about a month ago when googling the rep of a publisher who was on the verge (and did) offer me a contract for my novel. Thanks to the lengthy thread on AWWC about this publisher, I was made aware that it was a vanity press. I don't remember the exact poster's quote, but it was similar to "Why sell books out of the back of a pickup along side of the road when you can get them on the shelves inside a mall" really helped educate me in my early travels on the road to getting published.

Oh hey I actually remember that thread! There was a bit of a fuss at parts. I wasn't looking into them particularly but I do trawl B&BC.

bean60

Registered
Reaction score
How I found Absolute Write

I found this forum by reading a blog today; sorry, now I can't even remember which one it was. The site looks interesting and I think I can learn from it. I just hope I don't spend so much time here that I don't have enough time to actually write.

MikeCheck

Registered
Reaction score
I Googled "writing forums" and was overwhelmed with the results. So then I Googled "best writing forums" and was led to a post on Yahoo Answers. Apparently this forum is the winner!

Cheryl D

Registered
Reaction score
It keeps coming up when I research agents and other stuff. I wanted to comment on one forum but had to sign up first. Now I can't remember what it was I wanted to comment on!

msleahkaye

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I found you online actually. Through loooots of google searches for author or publisher forums. :) From all my searches yours was the only one I chose to join because of it's activity. :D

Adriana Dascalu

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm Adriana Dascalu. I've found your forum through David Gaughran's site about writing, so I've followed him here because I'm also a writer and I'm seeking for pointers, critique and info about writing and publishing.

Hello, you other creative people!