AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 149 of 151 FirstFirst ... 497499124139143144145146147148149150151 LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,725 of 3770

Thread: How'd You Find This Site?

Banned
    google type search engining,
    discovering magazines to submit thru,
    absolute write is often listed below them.

figuring it all out
    Someone on critiquecircle mentioned this - surprising I didn't come across this on my own, but then maybe I didn't look hard enough
    First time writer. Go ahead, rain on my parade!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin paperxxflowers's Avatar
    I was looking up best writing websites and this was one of the ones that came up.

Writer of MG, YA and Adult Melody's Avatar
    I was looking for information about a publisher and this site came up. Then I started looking around and I was hooked.
    http://www.melodydelgado.com/ ROYALLY ENTITLED, Historical YA Romance and OOPS-A-DAISY, Humorous MG, published by Clean Reads - Out now on Kobo, B&N and Amazon, etc.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Just joined a week ago. Looks interesting.

figuring it all out MySummerJob's Avatar
    Did a Google search, "do you have to draw to write for comics?" cause I can't draw, but would like to one day work with Marvel or DC doing comics...

Came across this thread:
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...but-can-t-draw

Realized this was a general writing forum (which sadly, I've never been a part of before), and signed up =D

Quote Originally Posted by MySummerJob View Post
    Did a Google search, "do you have to draw to write for comics?" cause I can't draw, but would like to one day work with Marvel or DC doing comics...

Came across this thread:
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...but-can-t-draw

Realized this was a general writing forum (which sadly, I've never been a part of before), and signed up =D
    OOOH! Awesome! I love comic books! Superhero type stuff? What kinds? How does writing for a comic book work?

Welcome to the club! It's an awesome place to hang out.

figuring it all out MySummerJob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanT View Post
    OOOH! Awesome! I love comic books! Superhero type stuff? What kinds? How does writing for a comic book work?

Welcome to the club! It's an awesome place to hang out.
    I've never actually written a comic before so sadly I wouldn't know. I have a super hero duo team (fraternal twins, a brother and sister story) basically another group of characters that are a part of Marvel's InHumans narrative. I'm really excited about this idea, and want to share more information (I actually wrote a paragraph, but deleted it). However, I don't think this is the place to share my current ideas.

I'm still working on the characters, and their relationship to the whole Marvel Comics' universe. I hope to one day get them not only published, but a part of the Marvel universe. Until then, I guess I'll just sit on them, work on them, and focus on other story ideas. I still have my first full length book idea from a story/premise I came up with in December of 2015, which I have done much with either =/
    I also write poetry.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin KathrynCarter's Avatar
    As a result of a bottomless pit of researching ways to generate traffic to my work, I decided to try writing forums. This is my first writing forum account and I still don't understand a lot of how this site works even though I'm reading all the things that are obnoxiously capitalized "NEWBIES READ THIS" stuff. But we'll see where it goes.
    DEVIANTS: Ignite
    A sister who wants to be the best and a brother who just wants to be enough start a new life when they attend a high school for children with unnatural powers and plan to discover why it is suddenly under attack.

figuring it all out
    I researched a writing question I had awhile back and found that someone else had the same question on Absolute Write and had posted about it. So I surfed around here for awhile, decided it was cool, and signed up.

Quote Originally Posted by KathrynCarter View Post
    As a result of a bottomless pit of researching ways to generate traffic to my work, I decided to try writing forums. This is my first writing forum account and I still don't understand a lot of how this site works even though I'm reading all the things that are obnoxiously capitalized "NEWBIES READ THIS" stuff. But we'll see where it goes.
    Whoa, there. Since you read the newbie materials, you know that the big rule here is to respect your fellow writer. How is "obnoxiously capitalized" respectful?

Writers use caps for specific purposes, right? I did not write the newbie materials, but I've been around long enough to know with certainty that most new arrivals do not read the very materials which will help them understand how things work here, adapt quickly to the culture of this forum, and find what they hope to learn or gain from this forum. The capitalization is probably intended to make sure they notice that we have anticipated nearly every question that arises.

Meanwhile, if you have specific questions about how something here works, ask away. (<--For example, those words are dark blue because they are a link to the place where you'd pose your question. Maybe that's obvious, maybe not. It was one of the things I didn't get when I was new here.) As a low-tech user who's eventually figured out all kinds of things, I'm a pretty good explainer, but only one of many.

Maryn, e pluribus unum
    "I've never had to fake sarcasm."

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel (soon to be re-released)
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Gabriela Jessica's Avatar
    From Brandon Sanderson, I watched videos about his lecture.

I ended up on this site after a google search of "writing forums". I found an article posted by nybookeditors.com that recommended AbsoluteWrite as #1 on their list of 11 writing communities to join.

This will sound really lame, but I haven't been on a message board site like this in a while and was afraid they were all extinct.

To my great joy, they not only exist, but they thrive! Thank GOODNESS.

I found this site similar to another fellow above me. I had just finished listening/watching/reading the material from author and blogger Lisa Jakub. She is a promoter of writing, in general. From there I googled "writing community" and found an article that mentioned Absolute Write. I do not feel like a writer, but I feel that there is a writer within me somewhere...I just need to give her the appropriate environment, support, and creative munchies and see what happens. In the mean time, I hope to contributing in a helpful way to others while I am here.

Memory lane alert:

Found this website more than 10 years ago, following the trail from Victoria Strauss blog. Stuck around not being able to look away from the PublishAmerica story as it was unfolding.

I don't remember. It was ten bloody years ago!
    Alex | Website | Twitter

Albedo, there is still a full subforum here full of bewares on PublishAmerica and their scammy business model. Read and weep.

Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    Albedo, there is still a full subforum here full of bewares on PublishAmerica and their scammy business model. Read and weep.
    Oh yeah, I remember it was even more active back in the day when Publish America was going strong.

Jeez, I've been here forever.
    Alex | Website | Twitter

Well, at least you were here, contributing to the community, instead of lurking in the shadows for 9+ years, ifyouknowwhatimean

Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    Well, at least you were here, contributing to the community, instead of lurking in the shadows for 9+ years, ifyouknowwhatimean
    Look on the bright side: you average 1 post every two years!
    Alex | Website | Twitter

figuring it all out
    After reading a intriguing book, I discovered in the author's biography that she was from my city! I messaged her on facebook, and she was kind enough to message me back and send me to this forum for help in navigating the ins and outs of writing.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin PostScript's Avatar
    I was googling a website called Inkitt, wondering if it was legit cause it looked crazy (who posts publicly something they want to publish? And what competition promises publication?)
    I found this site and it looks awesome.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Willvaltin's Avatar
    I had heard a lot about image boards and everything, so I was just curious if there was one based off my interest: writing. I looked around online for some simple and easy ones, but this one seemed to be the easiest to find and sign up for. It also looks really active!

The site information was given to me by a known poet who has several books published. He's a friend of mine who I deeply respect. I am interested and have written a few poems. I have no idea if they are even great enough to share, I'd like to share and hear your responses. I've been warned to have thick skin, so I'm ready.
    Last edited by Iced Tea; 07-17-2017 at 07:08 AM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Bill G's Avatar
    I also learned about this site through a Brandon Sanderson lecture on You Tube

Page 149 of 151 FirstFirst ... 497499124139143144145146147148149150151 LastLast