How'd You Find This Site?

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was told about this site by a published author that I admire. She told me that I would sharpen my skills here by both reading and contributing.

Zuluz

Registered
Reaction score
A good friend (Niki03), who's been a member for about three years, hooked me up. She says that it's the most useful site for writers that she's found.

ecerberus

Registered
Reaction score
Someone on critiquecircle mentioned this - surprising I didn't come across this on my own, but then maybe I didn't look hard enough

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
I was looking for information about a publisher and this site came up. Then I started looking around and I was hooked. ;)

MySummerJob

Registered
Reaction score

BryanT

Do I have to?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did a Google search, "do you have to draw to write for comics?" cause I can't draw, but would like to one day work with Marvel or DC doing comics...

Came across this thread:
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?192166-I-want-to-write-comics-but-can-t-draw

Realized this was a general writing forum (which sadly, I've never been a part of before), and signed up =D

OOOH! Awesome! I love comic books! Superhero type stuff? What kinds? How does writing for a comic book work?

Welcome to the club! It's an awesome place to hang out.

MySummerJob

Registered
Reaction score
OOOH! Awesome! I love comic books! Superhero type stuff? What kinds? How does writing for a comic book work?

Welcome to the club! It's an awesome place to hang out.

I've never actually written a comic before so sadly I wouldn't know. I have a super hero duo team (fraternal twins, a brother and sister story) basically another group of characters that are a part of Marvel's InHumans narrative. I'm really excited about this idea, and want to share more information (I actually wrote a paragraph, but deleted it). However, I don't think this is the place to share my current ideas.

I'm still working on the characters, and their relationship to the whole Marvel Comics' universe. I hope to one day get them not only published, but a part of the Marvel universe. Until then, I guess I'll just sit on them, work on them, and focus on other story ideas. I still have my first full length book idea from a story/premise I came up with in December of 2015, which I have done much with either =/

KathrynCarter

Registered
Reaction score
As a result of a bottomless pit of researching ways to generate traffic to my work, I decided to try writing forums. This is my first writing forum account and I still don't understand a lot of how this site works even though I'm reading all the things that are obnoxiously capitalized "NEWBIES READ THIS" stuff. But we'll see where it goes.

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
I researched a writing question I had awhile back and found that someone else had the same question on Absolute Write and had posted about it. So I surfed around here for awhile, decided it was cool, and signed up. :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As a result of a bottomless pit of researching ways to generate traffic to my work, I decided to try writing forums. This is my first writing forum account and I still don't understand a lot of how this site works even though I'm reading all the things that are obnoxiously capitalized "NEWBIES READ THIS" stuff. But we'll see where it goes.
Whoa, there. Since you read the newbie materials, you know that the big rule here is to respect your fellow writer. How is "obnoxiously capitalized" respectful?

Writers use caps for specific purposes, right? I did not write the newbie materials, but I've been around long enough to know with certainty that most new arrivals do not read the very materials which will help them understand how things work here, adapt quickly to the culture of this forum, and find what they hope to learn or gain from this forum. The capitalization is probably intended to make sure they notice that we have anticipated nearly every question that arises.

Meanwhile, if you have specific questions about how something here works, ask away. (<--For example, those words are dark blue because they are a link to the place where you'd pose your question. Maybe that's obvious, maybe not. It was one of the things I didn't get when I was new here.) As a low-tech user who's eventually figured out all kinds of things, I'm a pretty good explainer, but only one of many.

Maryn, e pluribus unum

Hedwig

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katherinetweedle.com
I ended up on this site after a google search of "writing forums". I found an article posted by nybookeditors.com that recommended AbsoluteWrite as #1 on their list of 11 writing communities to join.

This will sound really lame, but I haven't been on a message board site like this in a while and was afraid they were all extinct.

To my great joy, they not only exist, but they thrive! Thank GOODNESS.

Inherent_Message

Registered
Reaction score
I found this site similar to another fellow above me. I had just finished listening/watching/reading the material from author and blogger Lisa Jakub. She is a promoter of writing, in general. From there I googled "writing community" and found an article that mentioned Absolute Write. I do not feel like a writer, but I feel that there is a writer within me somewhere...I just need to give her the appropriate environment, support, and creative munchies and see what happens. In the mean time, I hope to contributing in a helpful way to others while I am here.

Maenad

Registered
Reaction score
Memory lane alert:

Found this website more than 10 years ago, following the trail from Victoria Strauss blog. Stuck around not being able to look away from the PublishAmerica story as it was unfolding.

Maenad

Registered
Reaction score
Albedo, there is still a full subforum here full of bewares on PublishAmerica and their scammy business model. Read and weep.

Maenad

Registered
Reaction score
Well, at least you were here, contributing to the community, instead of lurking in the shadows for 9+ years, ifyouknowwhatimean

Kylie Chanae

Registered
Reaction score
After reading a intriguing book, I discovered in the author's biography that she was from my city! I messaged her on facebook, and she was kind enough to message me back and send me to this forum for help in navigating the ins and outs of writing.

PostScript

Registered
Reaction score
I was googling a website called Inkitt, wondering if it was legit cause it looked crazy (who posts publicly something they want to publish? And what competition promises publication?)
I found this site and it looks awesome.

Willvaltin

Registered
Reaction score
I had heard a lot about image boards and everything, so I was just curious if there was one based off my interest: writing. I looked around online for some simple and easy ones, but this one seemed to be the easiest to find and sign up for. It also looks really active!