• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ilura Press

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
I noticed on Agent Query that one of their recently added sponsors, Ilura Press of Australia, is holding a contest for novels of literary fiction. Ilura is brand-spanking new, and the premise behind the contest is that the two winners will be awarded a AU$5000 advance (roughly USD$3700) and a publishing contract. These two entries will apparently be the first two novels that Ilura Press publishes; international submissions are welcome. There is an entry fee of AU$22 (about USD$18) and you may submit via snail mail or electronically (for a fee of AU$20).

I've been reading throughout Absolute Write and elsewhere that it's best to steer clear of contests that require an entry fee. However, the fact that Agent Query itself posted the contest notice suggests otherwise. So, is this a legitimate, worthwhile contest to enter or not?

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pisarz said:
I've been reading throughout Absolute Write and elsewhere that it's best to steer clear of contests that require an entry fee. However, the fact that Agent Query itself posted the contest notice suggests otherwise. So, is this a legitimate, worthwhile contest to enter or not?

Just because there's an entry fee doesn't necessarily make it a scam. You have to read the fine print to find out if the judges are well known in the writing world, etc., that sort of thing.

I can't comment on this specific one because I've never heard of them before (not that that means anything ;)). Hopefully, someone else will be able to chime in either yea or nay.

~Nancy

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Many legit contests charge entry fees as a way to fund the prize and/or offset processing expenses. $20 for a contest isn't out of line.

I'd be more concerned about the publisher. Not to say it's not well-intentioned, but it's risky to hook up with a publisher before it has proved it can take books all the way through the production process--not to mention, market and distribute them. I have to say I think it's peculiar that a publisher is soliciting for its first list via a contest.

- Victoria

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If what you win is being pblished what makes this a contest? I have seen more and more of these and it makes me feel just a little like it's a back door way to get people to pay to submit to a market?

IMHO a contest has prize. Like money free and clear.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
veinglory, I was thinking about that, too. For the price of postage, I can submit to quite a few publishers who would pay me a similar or better advance and royalties than this contest is offering.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I guess it helps a market create a buzz and prompt more submissions... but I would be inclined to submit by the standard process for free later on ;)

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, there's nothing suspicious about a contest entry fee. In fact, lack of an entry sets off buzzers. Most legit contests (not all) have fees. But lack of an actual prize seems not that great.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Still alive. Only five books so far. Focus seems to be on their literary journal(s).