The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Ilura Press

practical experience, FTW Pisarz's Avatar

Ilura Press

I noticed on Agent Query that one of their recently added sponsors, Ilura Press of Australia, is holding a contest for novels of literary fiction. Ilura is brand-spanking new, and the premise behind the contest is that the two winners will be awarded a AU$5000 advance (roughly USD$3700) and a publishing contract. These two entries will apparently be the first two novels that Ilura Press publishes; international submissions are welcome. There is an entry fee of AU$22 (about USD$18) and you may submit via snail mail or electronically (for a fee of AU$20).

I've been reading throughout Absolute Write and elsewhere that it's best to steer clear of contests that require an entry fee. However, the fact that Agent Query itself posted the contest notice suggests otherwise. So, is this a legitimate, worthwhile contest to enter or not?

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisarz
    I've been reading throughout Absolute Write and elsewhere that it's best to steer clear of contests that require an entry fee. However, the fact that Agent Query itself posted the contest notice suggests otherwise. So, is this a legitimate, worthwhile contest to enter or not?
    Just because there's an entry fee doesn't necessarily make it a scam. You have to read the fine print to find out if the judges are well known in the writing world, etc., that sort of thing.

I can't comment on this specific one because I've never heard of them before (not that that means anything ). Hopefully, someone else will be able to chime in either yea or nay.

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Many legit contests charge entry fees as a way to fund the prize and/or offset processing expenses. $20 for a contest isn't out of line.

I'd be more concerned about the publisher. Not to say it's not well-intentioned, but it's risky to hook up with a publisher before it has proved it can take books all the way through the production process--not to mention, market and distribute them. I have to say I think it's peculiar that a publisher is soliciting for its first list via a contest.

- Victoria

Thanks so much to both of you for the input. Much appreciated!

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Would you want your book published by these folks if there wasn't a contest?

Hmm . . . maybe after they've established a track record for sales and a good reputation among authors . . .

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    If what you win is being pblished what makes this a contest? I have seen more and more of these and it makes me feel just a little like it's a back door way to get people to pay to submit to a market?

IMHO a contest has prize. Like money free and clear.
    Emily Veinglory

Gone
    veinglory, I was thinking about that, too. For the price of postage, I can submit to quite a few publishers who would pay me a similar or better advance and royalties than this contest is offering.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I guess it helps a market create a buzz and prompt more submissions... but I would be inclined to submit by the standard process for free later on
    Emily Veinglory

Last edited by CaoPaux; 10-02-2007 at 12:54 AM. Reason: garbled link *sigh*
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Yeah, there's nothing suspicious about a contest entry fee. In fact, lack of an entry sets off buzzers. Most legit contests (not all) have fees. But lack of an actual prize seems not that great.

Still alive. Only five books so far. Focus seems to be on their literary journal(s).
    ICAO
    ---------

Updating URL: http://www.ilurapress.com/

Etchings journal ceased publication in '14.
    ICAO
    ---------