500 REJECTS TO MY NAME

Status
Not open for further replies.

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
I'm probably up to 100 by now with my first Rose novel... I'm going to try to sell my Arthurian fantasy now, and if that doesn't sell, I'll rework the Rose query and try again- many of the agents who rejected it never saw the work, so maybe it was just the query...

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
I can't find this book on Amazon, nor is there any publisher info on Elizabeth's site.

LunarLodge

Instead of viewing rejection slips as a personal affront, I chose to view them as a goal. As soon as I had enough I cut them to standard width and pasted them end to end. Rolled them around a used toilet paper tube. Yep. They now have a purpose. And I have symbolism. (A raw end, true.)
Just limit how many you include in each flush. Clogs can be a messy thing, if you're not a dancer . . .

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Sass, that'd be because she doesn't have a publisher yet. It's getting an agent that she's celebrating, not getting a publisher.
Have you had your tea this morning?
The agent is Jodie Rhodes - just a minute while I hit P&E .... okay, they have the dollar sign, but a note that the site is inoperative, don't know how old that is.
-Barbara

Alex Bravo

Registered
Reaction score
I've been writing one novel for 12 years now. I actually finished it in 1995, sent it to everyone, rejected by all, agents and publishers. I kept at it and revised it dozens of times but I still kept getting rejected. I set it aside in 1997 and worked on an invention I made. I started an internet business and well, my writing stopped. Then, in 2002, I read my first Harry Potter. I was blown away and realized that I had written my book half@ss. So I tossed out my entire manuscript (actually I kept two scenes) and rewrote the project again but this time with a new flare of creativity, no holding back. I was so busy writing that my internet business suffered. In 2004, I sent it out again. This time a very big-time agent wanted to read it but he said that I still hadn't quite done it for him, although, I had come very close. ARGHHHH!!!!!!! So then I decide to send it to a book doctor. And while expensive, he really did improve the work with his suggestions. I had to trash the first 50 pages, but he was right, I had started the story at the wrong point. I rewrote the story AGAIN!!! In 2006 I finished it yet again and submitted it to a few agents and this time I finally got one to take it. Now that I'm waiting, I'm actually working on the sequel, but I hope the sequel doesn't have so much trouble as the original.

Reaction score
Elizabeth Slick said:
It's true. I've said it here somewhere before, but I will say it again. I mailed 500 queries and got 500 reject letters. It took a few years. And guess what? I have an agent now and an excellent one at that. So keep trying.

Exactly what I needed to read right now. :D

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
Sassenach said:
Sorry...I was confused by the book cover she's showing on her site.
Yeah, I was a bit surprised when I buzzed over there too. (Hey, I've designed a cover for a novel I haven't finished, let alone shopped - cat-vacuuming at its finest! - especially since authors don't choose covers)
Never mind, have a nice cup of tea and a sit-down. Even Homer nods.
-Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.