Discussing your WIP on your blog

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I'm just curious.

What is the opinion of discussing your WIP on your blog? I've heard you could generate early interest in your forthcoming book this way, but I feel kind of leery about it.

Thoughts?

allen

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Most of my income derives from writing copy. Not only is it boring to talk about, but sometimes I'm under a non-disclosure agreement. I find it easier to simply not talk about that aspect of my job other than to mention that I spent x hours writing copy.

I also write short stories and audio dramas, and I'll talk about those in vague terms. Once I get a publication or performance date, then you can't shut me up!

KAM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlymills.ca
I write about my WIP all the time on my blog. I don't get into specifics, but I do talk about my progress and various challenges I'm facing. Too be honest, I haven't thought too much about whether it's a good idea or not. I just blog what I'm thinking about, and I think about my WIP a lot!

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
The biggest problem I have with discussing the WIP is that it's like talking about it to someone else - somehow it relieves the pressure that builds up to get the darned thing out of my system, so I spend more time talking about it than writing it.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
I'll talk about it and post word counts in mine. The word count is a mind-game for me, really. It forces me to publically admit it on days when I didn't write, and it gives me extra motivation to get at least 1000 words in, just so I can bump up the word meter.

I also post occasional excerpts. Most of those are friends-locked, but a few are public. They're only a few lines, but they're the ones I like, that give people a sense of the book and hopefully make 'em laugh.

NightWynde

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brigitta-m.blogspot.com
I don't write about the WIP per say, but more about stuff I think about while writing that won't be in the current project but I need to contemplate anyway. For example (keep in mind I write horror), I was having trouble figuring out a killer's style of murder and I started listing all the ways someone could be killed in order to come up with something. This ended up in my blog as did the steps the killer would have to go through in order to, theoretically, not get caught. Even though all of this happens "off-stage" in my WIP, it ended up in my blog.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
My blog is a limited access friends-only blog right now if that matters. I do discuss my WIP there, but I don't get into specifics. I write more about how I'm feeling or how the process is going. (Not long ago, I wrote a big entry about how my one character threw a wrench and the whole damn toolbox into the story and caused me a bit of stress.) I can't put my WIP out there in any concrete form because it is a WIP and I can't share yet. I've become picky about not posting writing online that I may want to submit later. :)